Chapter 4

Sheltering Tree *Rewriting*

Reaching a hand out, Taehyung smiled dreamily at the unidentified object in the air. He didn’t know what it is but all his instinct told him that he had to catch it. His hand took a hold of the thing. Fabric? Yeah. Wet strands? Em? Whatever he hugged the unknown object, rubbing it against his cheeks.

“Hey, you rascal.”

Taehyung eyes snapped open, shocked to find Yoongi’s face inches from him. He immediately jumped back, yelling at the top of his lungs at the older guy. “What the heck are you doing, hyung?” Taehyung demanded.

“Trying to wake you up, but apparently you pulled me into your arms.” Yoongi stated and proceeded by throwing a worn-out towel at Taehyung’s face. “Take a shower. We’re leaving in 20 minutes.” He said.

 

After a while of talking to no one in particularly, Manager-hyung seemed to be frustrated by the guys’ sleepy demeanor. Taehyung, however, was the only one who responded to his manager’s rambling of their schedules though it was only a few hums, yes'es and no's.

The van pulled over to park beside a cafe. It was overcrowded with office staffs and gangs of high school students, having breakfasts. But nonetheless, their café lattes were famous around the area.

“Hey,” Manager-hyung looked at him from the review mirror, “I’m going for a coffee. You want something?”

“Just coffees,” Taehyung glanced at the Jin’s nodding lifeless head, “For these dudes.”

“Got it.” Manager-hyung gave a ‘thumbs up’ before shutting the door.

Taehyung slid his headphones on and played a song from his phone. It was a quiet, yet joyful song. It reminded him a lot of the trainee days, when they were unknown to the public but still have the freedom of walking around the streets and visiting his family.

When he was gazing out the window, a blur of colors piqued his interest. It was the color of trouble as he unofficially dubbed.

Taehyung watched Min Ji Yeon walking hastily into the cafe. She looked a bit different as she wore more appropriately than the day they met but overall she looked pretty ‘high status’.

“Hyung,” Taehyung said, shaking J-hope’s shoulder. “Watch the car.”

“Hmm,” J-hope drawled, snuggling in deeper into his hands. “Sure, whatever you want.”

Donning a hat and a pair of sunglasses, Taehyung followed after the girl. At the end of the small restaurant, he saw her sitting with another familiar looking female. They were talking in what seemed to be a hushed tone. He wanted to get closer to hear their conversation when he heard someone calling out to him.

“Shouldn’t you be waiting in the van?” Manager-hyung whispered. “What if someone sees you?”

“Just a minute,” Taehyung replied back. “I want to greet one of my acquaintance.” 

As if on cue, Min Ji Yeon stood up, slamming the palms of her hands on the table. Her body was shaking with anger, and Taehyung presumed Ji Yeon was going to punch the woman across from her. However she did nothing, except shaking her shoulders as she breathed heavily. He was so sure that the girl he met at the fan-signing event was a haughty girl that wouldn’t hesitate to kill others if she had to. But at that moment, she had a poker face on but her eyes showed betrayal and suspicion all at once. Taehyung raised an eyebrow with interest.

“Excuse me.” Ji Yeon muttered she turned away, leaving the woman behind. The said woman stood up, considering following Ji Yeon but finally deciding against it.

Ji Yeon pulled her hood up. Seriously! Does this girl obsess with covering her face up? Taehyung thought. She maneuvered her way through the crowded café, ignoring the gazes people gave her. Most of them were shaking their heads with an obvious looks on their faces, as if they were thinking the same line: Teens. They think they know everything these days.

Ji Yeon tried to walk past Taehyung, who was standing at the entrance. In her hurry, Taehyung looked like he wasn’t letting her exit so as a result she pushed right through him with a small ‘Jerk’ under her breath. Taehyung unconsciously snickered at her small attempt to insult people.

“What was that about?” Manager hyung asked curiously. The coffees in his hands started to cool off. “Why are you smiling?”

“Oh,” Taehyung quickly wiped his smile off. “Nothing.”

Looking down, Taehyung realized that the girl had dropped her phone at her ‘small fight’ with him. Surprisingly, it looked quite new but old-fashioned.  He raised his eyebrows in amazement.

Was today a fate’s plan? He was asking to himself.

 

 

Ji Yeon wobbled slightly from side to side. Her head felt dizzy but she could feel her mind calming down. , the teenager girl took a deep breath. If only her life could be this way permanently. If only she could release the tension in her heart and fill it with exciting calmness.

It was the drugs.

She wondered, if there’d come a day that she would throw them away.

Ji Yeon had known all kinds of drug from the back of her hand. She wasn’t kidding when she said that it was her life and soul. She has been exposed to drugs and alcohol since forever. However the main causes for her drug addiction weren’t her friends, or her boyfriends, or the neighborhood hobos but the only person she looked up to.

She fell limp on her bed, eyes closing on it’s own. Please, just let me die. Her last thoughts before she fell asleep.

 

 

“Anyone wants some chips?” Taehyung asked, raising the bag of chips in his hands. He wasn’t supposed to be eating junk foods after a dance practice but what the heck, he was too obstinate to comply with the company’s set of rules. Jungkook with his face on the floor reached a hand out. Taehyung obligingly chucked a couple of chips into his hands, ignoring the fact that the maknae’s hand was sweaty.

“I want some!” J-hope and Jimin said in unison. They started to crowd around him, prompting him to let them have his snack. Taehyung jumped to his safety and tried to escape the hungry bird’s wrath. He definitely wasn't going to share next time.

“Hey, TaeTae,” Jin called out, pulling out two cell phones from his jacket, which he had hanged. “You didn’t tell me that you have two phones.”

“Hyung!” Taehyung pounced on Jin and hid the phones away from everyone’s eyes sight. Unfortunately, his actions sparked the other’s curiosity.

“Are you doing something you shouldn’t do?” Yoongi narrowed his eyes at him suspiciously.

“No.” Taehyung shook his head a bit too quickly.

“Aha! You’re lying!” Jungkook pressed on. He got up to join others as they were inspecting Taehyung’s variation of expressions displayed on his face. “Come on, V-hyung. You can’t escape all of us together.”

At that sentence, the phone enlightened, signaling an incoming call. The room went awfully silent as all eyes directed to the small thing in Taehyung’s hand. The members looked up at Taehyung, expecting him to answer it.

“Aren’t you going to answer it?” Namjoon broke the silence.

Taehyung swallowed down his saliva. His fingers were indecisive between the two buttons. The screen showed that it’s a call from Soongi but he didn’t want to sound like he stole the phone or something. But he got the guts feeling that it wasn’t a call from the shy girl.

Before Taehyung could decide on anything, the impatient Jimin took the phone and put it on speaker mode.

“Yah, you b****es!” Ji Yeon's voice resonated across the room, shaking the shoes out of the seven guys.

 “I’m warning you,” She continued. “If you ever hack into my phone or do not return it in two days! In TWO DAYS, I’ll find you and cut you d***heads from your tongue to your balls!”

With that, she hung up with a click. The guys exchanged glances of extreme fear and disgust. This chick seriously needs to wash with soap was what went through their heads.

“Tae, explain.” Namjoon said with an authority tone. They turned their attention back at him.

Taehyung exhaled sharply. Thank you very much, Ji Yeon.

 

 

Ji Yeon struggled against the garment around her wrists. Her eyes were angry as she glared at the calm man in front of her. How could he be so calm when she was being treated like an animal?

“Ji Yeon-shi. Being violent is not the solution.” Mr. Kim leaned in from his seat. “Tell me what’s wrong and I’ll try to help you. Turning to drugs is not good for you.”

Ji Yeon rolled her eyes, snapping, “You think I don’t know that? I know a lot of things that you wouldn’t even dream of knowing of, you sick doctor!”

“On the opposite, I’m your psychiatrist.”

“Same difference!” Ji Yeon cried out.

“And yes, I do not know everything. ” Mr. Kim said with a hint of sadness in his voice but it disappeared when Ji Yeon looked at him. “Anyway, it’s not about me. It’s—”

“It’s about you as in me,” Ji Yeon finished for him. “And I’m telling you, I don’t need your help. I’m doing fine by myself.”

“Does ‘fine’ to your dictionary means by taking drugs?” Mr. Kim inquired with a smile. “Drinking until you’re dead drunk? Abusing your younger cousin? Insulting everyone who annoys you the slightest bit?”

Ji Yeon stared at him blankly, not wanting to show him that she was fazed by his words and knowledge. So what if people know that she did all of those things? Would they be able to stop her? Maybe. Would they send her to a mental hospital? Yes, she’d like that. To be clear, she wouldn’t mind if they plotted against her.

Everything is just repeating itself.