Chapter 2

Sheltering Tree *Rewriting*

Taehyung exhaled heavily as he stretched his rigid arms for his usual morning routine. It was still cool but Taehyung didn’t mind the morning breeze that had ruined his already styled hair. Being able to stay in the open air was quite rare of the BTS members, therefore Taehyung didn't waste the opportunity.

“You’re being strange.”

Taehyung gave Jimin a brief look before turning around to stretch his back. Jimin noticed that his friend hadn’t gorged himself with food like he usually does. Nor did he come up with one of his weird habits of doing monodrama.

“I mean, stranger than usual, isn’t that right, J-Hope hyung?” Jimin turned to the best dancer of their group.

“Aish…Just leave him.” J-Hope said as he slipped on his jacket. “He’s having one of those days.”

Taehyung didn’t really understand what his older hyung meant by that. Unconsciously he was reminded of the weird girl, who he met a few days ago. She sounded so distressed that he just had to tell her his next schedule. Of course, not that it would do any difference since most of the fans kept up with their schedule. It was her request that freaked him out. 

Taehyung sighed for what seemed to be the nth time of the day before beaming brightly at his friends. Forming fist into the air, he yelled, “Let’s go!”

 

 

“What the hell!”

Soongi flinched when she heard her cousin’s screams and streams of profanities from the other room. It was still too early for Ji Yeon to lose her cool but why was she screaming? Don’t tell me that she knows of my plan, Soongi’s eyes widened in fear.

Ji Yeon barged into the room, with eyes that could kill any living being. Her eyes landed on the small, shivering girl on the floor before striding towards her. She pounced on the little girl, hands strangling her. 

“Where did you hide it, you little piece of crap?” Ji Yeon roared, ignoring Soongi’s clawing hands in attempt to release herself.

“I-I don’t have it.” Soongi managed despite herself. “Ji Yeon. I can’t breathe.”

“Oh? You can still talk even though you can’t breath?” Ji Yeon tilted her head to the side; her voice was bore nothing but ill will. “Give me what you took from me, then I’ll reconsider it.”

Soongi could feel herself slipping off into unconsciousness, when Ji Yeon’s hands left her neck. She saw Ji Yeon struggled around as she was being pulled by the maids and the butler. Mrs. Lee looked at her daughter with worried gaze before holding her in her arms.

 “I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU ALL!” Ji Yeon screamed before being dragged into her room, where they were going to sedate her. "ROT IN HELL!"

Soongi leaned on her mother’s shoulder and sobbed silently. Mrs. Lee patted her daughter’s back while whispered soothing words into her ears.

“I’m so sorry for this, Soongi-ah,” Mrs. Lee said, her hand Soongi cheeks in a loving way. Soongi nodded as she breathed in her mother’s perfume. She missed being this way with her mother as she wasn't always at home. “You know that she’s sick and she need—

“A miracle?” Soongi looked up as she asked. Mrs. Lee blinked but secretly agreed.

“That’s what I thought.” Soongi muttered under her breath.

 

 

Ji Yeon decided to wear a long gray hoodie, which could hide her from curious eyes and avoid people from recognizing her. She then finished her wardrobe with a pair of sunglasses. It wasn’t the first time someone confiscated her drugs, so it was quite ok for her. But she couldn’t deny that she was furious.

She walked out of the house, scowling at the polluted air of Seoul before walking towards her destination: the convenience store.

Wordlessly, Ji Yeon placed bottles of beer on the counter. The cashier guy surveyed her, trying to decide whether she’s an underage or not. He parted his mouth, about to say something when Ji Yeon casually slipped out some generous amount of note, pushing it into his face.

“You didn’t see me.” Ji Yeon stated after paying up, leaving the appalled guy.

Finding the perfect place, Ji Yeon slid down to the floor, besides the abandoned building. She could hear voices of children screaming and playing from the playground not far from there but it was good enough place for her to be drinking without getting caught. She preferred her own collection of and spice but these will do.

Ji Yeon was going to cork one bottle open when someone decided to kick a football at her. It hit her bull eye at the side of her head, bringing black spots to her eye vision. Groaning from pain and annoyance, she grabbed the football and looked around for the one who dares to disturb her.

“Did you guys see her face?”

A group of guys her age laughed and hollered at her. Ji Yeon glared at the one, she assumed, who kicked the ball at her purposely. Out of anger, she hurled the ball at him, catching him off guard and striking him in the face. She might not be a football expert but she was aggressive.

“Do not mess with me.” Ji Yeon announced, clenching her hands tight.

“B****!” One of the guys approached her, cracking his fist. But Ji Yeon was faster; she picked up a nearby broken chair and flung it at him. He turned back in time for the chair to break in pieces into his shirt. He cried out in agony.

Suddenly, someone called out, “What’s going on there?” A policeman was walking towards them with one of the boys, following behind him.

That s***head, was all Ji Yeon could think of as she froze, not knowing what to do. A hand shot out of nowhere and pulled her away from there. Half stumbling, her eyes widened at Soongi, who was running ahead of her.

They both sprinted fast until they were out of breath and far enough from that place. Soongi held her knees as she bend down, catching her breath. Ji Yeon only glared at the younger girl, who didn’t seem to be fazed by her stare.

“How did you get here?” Ji Yeon asked quietly as there was still a few second before she exploded.

“I was looking for you.” Soongi explained with an apologetic smile. “And I was worried that you might get lost.”

Ji Yeon frowned in confusion. Worried? After strangling you? Are you perhaps paranoid?

“And—Ji Yeon looked up at Soongi again, waiting for her next words—I want to introduce you to someone. You know, for your birthday.”

Figures. Ji Yeon rolled her eyes as she scolded herself for thinking Soongi might be really worried about her. She was just trying to save her own skins like everyone else.

Ji Yeon’s eyes turned unexpectedly cold and deadly as she voiced out with a not-so-friendly smirk, “Of course~”

 

 

“Are you s***ting with me right now?” Ji Yeon yelled so loud that people turned their heads at them. Despite that, the squeals and screams of excited fangirls didn’t calm down. Closing her ears, Ji Yeon felt like she wanted to kill the people around her for being so noisy. She hated overcrowded places.

“Soongi, I’m SO going to kill you after this,” Ji Yeon emphasized her words as she glared at the already sweaty Soongi. “Just you wait.”

“Just try,” Soongi pleaded with her big eyes. “Please. He’ll be a good friend, I promise.”

Ji Yeon looked incredibly annoyed that Soongi wouldn’t be surprised if she slapped her in front of everyone. But instead she waved Soongi into the line where the other fans were, grumbling as she hid her face into her hoodie and crossed her arms.

Soongi watched the staffs rushing around the place, a bit awed. This was her first time being at a fansign event and she had no doubt that Ji Yeon was the same but Ji Yeon looked like she wouldn’t mind burying herself into the ground and die slowly.

“Look.” Soongi pulled Ji Yeon’s sleeve, successfully grabbing her attention. She pointed at the sandy haired boy, who sat with the other six guys. “That’s him.”

Ji Yeon furrowed her eyebrows in disapproval. He looked so much like the blonde idiots from her school in California and she had doubt he’ll even stand exchanging topics with her. Ji Yeon noted Soongi’s expectant look, waiting for a response from her.

“Observe your face while you still can.” Ji Yeon remarked.

Soongi’s face fell flat.

Time passed by and they were the next person in line. Soongi’s heart wouldn’t calm down and her mind was full of doubts. Is she doing the right thing? Shouldn’t she let things flow by themselves?

“Hello?”

A smiling boy beckoned her over to the table. Soongi quickly pulled herself together and approached the boy warily. His wide smile relaxed her a bit as it seemed to be indicating that all would be fine and well.

“What’s your name?” He asked.

“Lee Soongi.”

At that name, Taehyung’s ears perked up and saw a shy girl across Jungkook. Her eyes flickered back at Taehyung’s. Soongi gave her an insecure smile before walking over to him. Taehyung noticed a girl trailing behind the little girl but she covered her face with a hoodie and a pair of sunglasses.

“Oppa, meet my cousin, Min Ji Yeon.” Soongi pulled the girl towards the front, getting rid of her hoodie and sunglasses off her face. She had pure black hair with purple highlights that looked like she cut them herself and didn’t do a very good job with it, dangerous eyes and fair complexion. Taking in her appearance, Taehyung could tell that Min Ji Yeon is trouble.

 “So.” Ji Yeon stared him down with her narrowed eyes. “You’re the unlucky b***ard.”