Chapter 3

Sheltering Tree *Rewriting*

Taehyung didn’t really know how to take of the situation. This was the first time someone brave enough to insult him face-to-face. And he was pretty used to the negative responses and criticism from the net and the media! Being cursed in front of his fans and to his face, it was definitely something new for the 20-year-old boy. 

“Hey, watch your mouth.” A girl, who was getting her album signed by Jungkook, said when she heard Ji Yeon’s swearing words. “He’s a nice guy.”

Ji Yeon clucked her tongue before giving the girl a dull look. “I’ll say whatever s*** I want so f*** off from other’s business.”

“Yah. Why are you being so abusive?” Taehyung said. His voice got unusually resonant. “You shouldn’t tell that to someone you just met. Especiallly when you're the one who needs my help.” He didn’t mind people saying bad things about him and the members but he couldn’t tolerate people hurting their fans.

By then, people were watching both of them as Taehyung’s eyes darkened, sending the vibes that it wasn't a usual fan and idol moment. The fangirls didn't doubt Taehyung for a second as they all glared at Ji Yeon, reckoning she was the one at fault. However she wasn’t fazed of the looks people gave her as she boldly raised an eyebrow at Taehyung.

She sneered and snatched a nearby microphone. Taehyung caught the devious glint in her eyes before she shouted at the fan, who reprimanded her, “YOU F*** OFF FROM OTHER’S BUSSINESS!”

The poor girl’s face reddened and bit her lips, trying to hold her composure but Taehyung didn’t miss the tear that slipped down her cheek. He was a gentleman. And from what he heard, a gentleman never hit a woman. He started to reconsider it. 

“Yah!” Taehyung glared at Ji Yeon, furious. Never had he met such a b**** before in his life. She turned to face him with an arrogant smirk. “Sorry my tongue slipped.” She said with sarcasm dripped from her tone. She finished by throwing the microphone at his chest.

The girl then turned to look at her cousin, muttering loud enough for Taehyung to hear, “A small insult and he judged you. Is that what friends do?”

Soongi’s lips trembled slightly. Ji Yeon was an ace at hiding her feelings but her voice betrayed a small hint of anger and something else. Before Soongi could say a word, Ji Yeon had already stormed off, pushing her way through the crowd. The younger girl her heels and went after her cousin, calling for her, “Unnie, wait! Unnie!”

The atmosphere started to lose its tense and everything returned back to normal, but Taehyung couldn't stop thinking about that girl. He glanced at the puffy-eyed fan, who had her feet planted to the ground. He beckoned her over and tried to smile, despite the situation. The girl started to relax a bit and displayed the smallest smile she could muster.

“Aigoo. Please stop.” His thumbs slightly brushed her blushing cheeks. “If you cry again, I might cry too.” To prove his point, Taehyung started to fake a sob. The girl laughed a bit, nodding her head.

“Don’t worry, she’s gone now. She can’t hurt us anymore.” Taehyung took the girl’s hands, them with his thumbs. “But thank you for defending me.”

 

 

“Ah…” Yoongi rested his forehead on his knuckles, closing his eyes. “That was the last one.”

“You did well.” Jimin patted his older brother’s back, trying to play supportive. Yoongi frowned and slapped Jimin’s hand away since he was being too touchy. 

“Aish, hyung. You’re no fun to play with.” Jimin sulked. He turned 180 degree, noticing how worn out everyone was, except Taehyung, who kept having the dazed look on his handsome face.

“Am I the only one here who could take to the next round?” Jimin cried out in exasperation, moving around the small van.

“Go to sleep, hyung.” Jungkook from the corner, said wearily. He couldn’t understand where Jimin’s energy came from when the others were out of battery.

Jimin was going to retort back when he saw a human figure approaching their van. Scratching his head, he turned to the guys to see if they noticed the person. No one in his or her right mind would be walking out this late, unless that person was cuckoo.

“Hey, why is there a girl coming our way?” Jungkook asked. Jimin was glad he wasn't imagining things.

“Girl?” Taehyung sat up, intrigued.

The girl was familiar but then again, they saw a lot of girls that it kind of blurred together. But that wasn’t the case for Taehyung because he recognized her. How could he when she was the one in his mind? But where was her crazy cousin?

Yoongi, who was closest to the door, flinched away when the girl got too close to his liking at the window. Namjoon peeked an eye open before closing them back, too tired to care, while Jin and J-hope both were still snoring. It wasn't the first time for them to find a fan in the middle of the night anyway.

“Should we open?” Jungkook asked cautiously. The girl gave a soft knock on the window at first, then gradually increasing in pace. They were pretty reluctant in doing so, images of creepy saesaeng fans filled their heads. Where was their manager when you need him?

Driven by curiosity, Taehyung reached out for the door. Jimin yelped and held him down but the door was already opened. The girl withdrew her steps a bit when she saw the guys tangled over each other, inside the van.

“Kim Taehyung?” She requested.

“This guy?” Yoongi pointed at the blonde. “By all means, take him away. He’s all yours.”

Taehyung made a look of astonishment at the guys as they shoved him out. Taehyung stumbled on the pavement but Soongi was quick on her feet as she grabbed his shoulder. He scowled at the guys, couldn’t believe that they’d hand him over so easily.

“Give him back when you’re done with him.” Jimin called before dragging the door close.

Taehyung sighed, smiling softly. Those guys.

He directed his gaze to Soongi, who still had a shy smile plastered to her face. She too could sense the friendship between them. She predicted that someone like Taehyung could fit the status ‘true friend’ like how Ji Yeon wished it to be.

But to both of their dismay, Ji Yeon and Taehyung disliked each other at first glance.

In Taehyung’s defence, Ji Yeon was the one who had to open her poisonous mouth and smashed the terrible words to her victims’ face. If it wasn’t enough, she had made Taehyung feel guilty by saying that he was being too judgemental.

“Um. I’m really sorry for…um…you know.” Soongi spoke indistinctly. Her foot shifted from side to side. Taehyung’s eyes twinkled at her shyness. If he didn’t know better, he might treat her like a small sister, who he could tease most of the time.

“It’s ok. You don’t have to apologize.” Taehyung said. He didn’t even know for what she was apologizing for. It wasn’t her fault. It was Ji Yeon's although he doubted that he’d get an apology from her.

“But.” Taehyung started, swallowing down the guilt. “I don’t think that I’m the one suitable for your mission.”

Soongi gasped, horrified by his statement. She had searched through Kim Taehyung’s profile and from one thing she was so sure about him is that he could get along with all kinds of people. Regarding age, gender or personality. He’s just amiable. In final words, he has to be the one.

Soongi took the chance to search his eyes, in hope there’ll be some emotion lingering in that poker face of his. And she was right. She just needed a small push to convince him.

“Please.” Soongi begged silently. “My cousin…she’s sick…she needs someone.”

Taehyung narrowed his eyes at that. He couldn’t really identify whether the girl is lying or not so he didn’t answer.

Thinking that he was slipping away, Soongi panicked. “I’ll pay you! Just help her!”

I’ll pay you? He wasn't that low to abandon someone in need. Sighing in defeat, he raised his hand toward her head, hitting it gently as a punishment. Curse my mercy consciousness. He thought.

“Who do you take me as? Of course, I’ll make friends with her.” Taehyung grinned that famous smile of his. “This is the challenge of a lifetime.”