Chapter 8

Sheltering Tree *Rewriting*

Rolling in her bed, Ji Yeon yelped when she hit the wooden floor. Soongi, who just happened to be passing the bedroom, poked her head in. Half asleep, Ji Yeon curled herself up on the floor, and then drifted back to sleep.

“Unnie—sorry—Ji Yeon-shi, you should wake up,” Soongi said softly. “It’s your special day.”

Ji Yeon squirmed on her side and mumbled something similar to ‘F*** off.’

Soongi sighed and her eyes travelled around Ji Yeon’s room to the pile of wrapped up boxes on her desk. It wasn’t much and Ji Yeon didn’t have any friends to begin with, except Taehyung. To be frank, Soongi wasn’t sure what their relationship was.

“Well, you should take a look at the presents on your desk after washing up,” Soongi said before closing the door.

Ji Yeon waited for a few footsteps away before lifting the blanket off her face. She blew her hair out of her face, huffing to herself, “As if I’m going to.”

 

 

Wrapping her arms behind her head, Ji Yeon drowned herself in extremely loud music as she lied on the tree branch. The music was killing her eardrums but it was enough to keep her from thinking. The thought of her birthday distracted her too much, and she needed a break.

Ji Yeon was still staring in daze at the moving clouds when she felt a pair of eyes on her. She turned slightly to catch a boy’s eyes. She guessed that he was back from working out or jogging by the look of his sweaty face and sagged shoulders from weariness.

Her eyebrows scrunched up in confusion when the boy mouthed out some words, and then she realized that she was still having her headphones plugged in.

“Yeah?” Ji Yeon asked, taking her headphones off.

The boy rolled his eyes in annoyance at her, saying, “Aren’t you supposed to be celebrating today?”

Ji Yeon raised an eyebrow. She didn’t seem to remember where she had seen him before. “Who are you?” She blurted.

“We just met a few days ago!” The boy cried out, looking quite appalled. He let out a sigh when Ji Yeon shook her head no.

“I’m Park Jimin,” He said, smiling slightly. “One of Taehyung’s colleague and friends.”

“Oh, you’re that guy. That guy…” Ji Yeon trailed off, not knowing how to response. She seriously didn’t remember meeting him.

“Save it.” Jimin laughed a bit. “So from what I remember, Taehyung said that it’s your birthday today.”

Ji Yeon returned back to her lying position. She was already bored of the conversation, yawning, “ I don’t celebrate such things.”

“What? I heard V prepare something for you,” Jimin said from underneath her. “Aren’t you going to meet him?”

“Hmm…yeah.” Ji Yeon said, ignoring what he said. She was about to sleep when she felt a slight tug on her hair, jolting her awake. She stared in disbelief at Jimin, who stood literally below her.

“You did not just pull my hair.” She said, tilting her head to the side.

“Oh, you mean this?” Jimin tugged on her hair again but this time, harsher.

“You’re f***ing dead!” Ji Yeon leaped from the branch and chased after Jimin, who ran for his life, laughing. Little did he know it was a big mistake to tease Min Ji Yeon.

 

 

Taehyung didn’t mean to.

 He fell asleep on Jin’s shoulder, but unfortunately he drooled on him.

Taehyung rubbed his neck sheepishly as Jin shouted at him in the bathroom, wiping his shirt. He didn’t remember sleeping when they got back, but he was just too exhausted to think of anything else.

“Didn’t you forget something?” Namjoon asked him when Taehyung sat beside him on the couch, dismissing Jin’s scolding. Taehyung made a thoughtful look, tapping his chin as he thought about it before shaking his head, “I don’t think so. Why?”

The front door suddenly busted open, startling the boys. Jimin trudged into the dorm with splotches of mud and grasses covered every inch of his face. His hair looked like crazy fans had pulled it, which did happen before.

“Dude, what happened…” Taehyung’s voice trailed off when he saw the girl behind Jimin. She raised a hand in greeting at him with a firm ‘Yo.”

“I thought I should bring her here, but it turned out with me in the mud.” Jimin said, scratching the dried mud off his eyebrow. He leaned closer to Taehyung, whispering, “Do not hair or you’ll get it.”

Taehyung grinned at the mere thought. Who knew a drug addict could get so offended? Min Ji Yeon was certainly an amusing girl.

He then turned to find Ji Yeon giving him an expectant look, crossing her arms and tapping her foot on the floor. She said, “He said that you want to see me?”

“He did?” Taehyung raised his eyebrows questioningly, looking at Jimin, who was walking towards the bathroom. “That's weird.”

Ji Yeon opened but closed it with a smirk, looking somewhat annoyed, “Yeah, weird.”

Namjoon, who was looking from the background, rolled his eyes at his dongsaeng’s memory loss. This morning, Taehyung had already bragged about how he was going to surprise the birthday girl and gain her full trust or something similar to that. The leader could relate that they were tired from their rehearsal and schedule, and the thought slipped his mind. But couldn’t he be more attentive and avoid hurting people?

Ji Yeon her heels, and she headed for the front door.

“Wait, you’re leaving already?” Taehyung asked.

Ji Yeon grabbed the doorknob, giving him a sideway look, saying coldly, “I’m not here for anything now, am I?” With that said, she threw wide the door and slammed it shut.

“Jeez,” Taehyung shook his head, plumping back on the couch. “Sometimes, I don’t get her.”

“I don’t know,” Namjoon gave him a look. “You did say that you’re going to surprise her this morning.”

Taehyung looked at Namjoon with a blank face before widening his eyes and slammed his fist into his palm, crying out, “OH!”

“You damn right ‘oh’!” Namjoon called out as Taehyung sprinted for his jacket and chased after the girl. Taehyung wanted to slap himself for forgetting her birthday but at the same time, he was going to strangle Jimin for inviting her over without warning him.

Ji Yeon was already out of the building when Taehyung sped past her and blocked her path. The girl huffed, pushing past him but Taehyung stood his place and grabbed both of her shoulders.

“Happy birthday,” Taehyung breathed out. Ji Yeon lifted an eyebrow at that. They just met for less than a month, so she wasn’t surprised if the boy didn’t even know her birthday date. She wasn’t expecting much from him.

But then Ji Yeon wanted to laugh at his naivety. He looked so vulnerable as if he was going to do anything to earn her trust back, though she didn’t trust him to begin with.

Taehyung tugged on her sleeve, pulling her for a walk. What’s a birthday without having fun, right?

 

 

“I want to go there.”

Taehyung gawked at the pub, which Ji Yeon had pointed at. He could feel the sweat forming on his forehead and the palms of his hands. It was the kind of pub where people would steer clear of, unless the person is dealing with drugs or gangs. Well, one of them did deal with drugs.

“No cake?” Taehyung suggested innocently. Ji Yeon rolled her eyes as she stepped inside without hesitation.

Taehyung groaned and followed after her. The place was definitely not a comfortable place for a cup of tea. Dense cloud of smoke filled the air, causing him to cough violently. A few older ladies gazed at him, giggling but Taehyung didn’t pay them any attention as he searched for the girl who had gotten him into this mess.

Ji Yeon sat at the bar, looking around the place. She saw Taehyung craning around the room, probably searching for her. She propped her chin on her hand as she watched how the other girls eyed him seductively. She couldn’t blame them. He did have the look.

“It’s been a while,” a man approached her. Ji Yeon acknowledged him with a smirk as he leaned in to plant a kiss on her cheek. If she remembered it right, he was the one who had broken up with her, which she took well. Was she in love with him?

No, he was just a distraction.

“Yes, it has but I’m not into married men,” Ji Yeon pulled away from his grasp. The man didn’t budge from his position as he trailed a hand to her collar, her neck.

“Are you kidding me?” Ji Yeon scoffed as she grabbed his hand, applying pressure on it before shoving it away. “I’m not into married men, you b***ard!”

The man’s face turned red from anger. Ji Yeon braced herself for a fight when a drunken man---correction, it was Taehyung, pretending to be intoxicated---crashed into them, pushing the man to the floor. He apologized profusely while offering a hand to her ex, when he stumbled and poured his glass content on the man’s face.

“Opps,” Taehyung mumbled. “I guess that’s a sign that you shouldn’t cheat on your wife.”

The man blinked in confusion. Seizing the chance, Taehyung grabbed Ji Yeon’s arm and leaped for the pub’s exit sign. He heard Ji Yeon burst of laughter behind him, and he had to admit he was damn surprised by it.

Ji Yeon held onto his sleeve when they were far enough from that place, slowing his pace. Taehyung had run aimlessly so he wasn’t sure where they were at that moment. He looked around, figuring they were in the middle of a park as there was a fountain ahead of them.

“Well!” Ji Yeon broke the silence with a grin. “It was somehow the funniest birthday I ever have.”

Taehyung looked at her, not knowing whether he should be angry or the opposite. She ditch him back at the club so shouldn’t he be mad? He watched her as she sat at the edge of the fountain, patting the space beside her.

“Are you going to stand there all night?”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope you guys won’t hate Ji Yeon that much after this.

Taehyung is really hard to write about. Who the heck even knows what’s up in that head of his? Haha. That guy got a lot going on.

Make sure that you won’t miss ASC! I’m feeling jumpy right now!

Thank you for the support.