Chapter 18

Make Me Regret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A dull pain at the back of my head and a quiet buzzing were the first things I registered after waking up from the short nap I'd taken. My nose wrinkled as I closed my eyes tighter, trying to ignore the annoying virbation piercing my ears every two seconds. I wanted to glare at the owner of the phone but my eyes were swollen, probably from all that crying I'd done, and I didn't want to open them just yet.

 

That was, until I heard a quiet sigh that sounded too mainly to be Sooyoung.

 

Then the events from the few hours before came rushing back to me and I suddenly became aware of the fact that I was still in a car - Baekhyun's car, to be more specific - that wasn't moving at all. I cracked one of my eyes open to take in the surroundings and was quick enough to witness Baekhyun's finger hover over the red button as he contemplated if refusing the call was a better option than accepting it. I couldn't help but look at the caller's ID and the name 'Jihyun' brought a bitter taste in my mouth, making me fully awake now.

 

"Not going to accept it?" I said, adjusting myself on the front seat as I glanced at Baekhyun.

 

He was quick to push the red button, hiding his phone back into the pocket of his jacket. "You're awake."

 

I nodded, hearing his obvious statement, and the uncomfortable silence followed as none of us knew what to say next. I didn't know why Baekhyun looked so worked up over the fact that Jihyun called him, but I decided to ignore the way he quickly rejected the call the moment he realized I was awake. Instead, I looked around, trying to find out where we were and why Baekhyun stopped the car in the first place. As I looked out the window, a familiar swing on a tree caught my attention.

 

"Oh?" I blinked, not even trying to mask my surprise after I realized our car was parked in front of my parents' house. "How did you know the address?"

 

"Your mather told me," Baekhyun admitted, taking the key out of the ignition.

 

I looked back at him, slightly frustrated that I allowed myself to fall asleep before I could instruct him to take me first to my father, instead of driving me straight back home. My brows knitted in concern as I watched him open the door, and before I could hold myself back, my hands reached out to grab the hem of his leather jacket.

 

"Wait," I said when he turned back to me with questioning look. I quickly withdrew my hands, awkwardly clearing my throat under his stare. “Can't you take me to the hospital? I want to see my father."

 

Baekhyun leaned back in his seat, eyeing me in curiosity before he heaved a sigh, "It's already past midnight, Mira. I'm sure visiting hours are already over. I will take you there tomorrow, okay?"

 

"Tomorrow?" I repeated dumbly, not because I didn't hear but because that word carried a promise I wasn't sure Baekhyun was aware of. It meant that he would either have to drive all the way back to my hometown to pick me up again and take to the hospital my father was in, or...

 

Or he was planning to spend the night in my hause and take me there first thing in the morning.

 

I gulped, not sure if I was more terrified or thrilled with the idea of having to share my house with Baekhyun. Again.

 

Obviously not aware of my conflicted feelings, Baekhyun nodded, proving his words. "Yes, tomorrow. I should get some rest before driving another few hours, don't you think? It would be bad to fall asleep behind the wheel."

 

"Y-yes..." I stuttered, unbuckling myself. After moment of hesitation, I pointed at my house with my thumb. "You can sleep in the living room. The sofa there is comfortable enough so I'm sure that-"

 

"It's fine," Baekhyun interrupted me, chuckling lightly. "I will just sleep in the car for an hour or two, and then head back to Seoul. I'll be back tomorrow afternoon to take you to the hospital, okay?"

 

So it was the first option, after all. But why was I feeling disappointed?

 

"I..." I struggled for a moment to find the right words that could help me convince him that sleeping in the car wasn't the smartest decision. Having my mind gone completely blank under Baekhyun's intensive stare, I sighed, frustrated with myself. "Do you really plan to drive back here in the morning?"

 

"Sure," he nodded again before his lips stretched in a comforting smile. "I promised to take you to the hospital, didn't I?"

 

"That's a waste of time."

 

"Then would you rather have me stay for the night?" Baekhyun challenged after hearing my complain and my body went rigid, despite the obvious teasing in his voice. I looked at him, taken aback by the immediet answer my brain served me the second Baekhyun's question hung in the air.

 

Yes.

 

I swallowed hard, not sure if saying it out loud would make my intentions too obvious. Yes, I wanted him to stay the night. I wanted him to stay here instead of coming back home where Jihyun would have the upper hand and could call him over anytime she wanted. I wanted him to be with me today, be it due to fear of being left alone again or because I craved his company more and more with every second spent with him. Whatever the reason was, I didn't want him to leave. But I was a big coward and so, instead of admitting it, I opted for a short nod that seemed to bring less emabarrassment than a verbal confession.

 

Baekhyun squinted his eyes, analyzing me for a long moment as if he was trying to figure out my real thoughts. He must've been as surprised as I after I openly admitted that he was more than welcome to stay by my side. I bit my bottom lip, hoping for him to simply give in to my request instead of asking more questions and doubting my decision, and fortunately, he did.

 

He smiled at me before turning his face to the window as he pushed the car's door open, "Let's go inside, then."

 

I watched in silence as he closed the door behind himself, and then breathed out in relief, praying for my mom to stay the night at the hospital. I was going to make the newspaper headlines as a murdered teenage girl if my mom knew I invited a guy to stay over for a night.

 

* * *

 

"That's my father's first win" I said after seeing Baekhyun stare at the lonely picture left on the shelf above the chime. He tore his eyes away from it and looked at me in surprise, not expecting me so soon after I had exused myself to take a shower.

 

I smiled at him, leaving the spare clothes I found for Baekhyun to change into on the table on my left.

 

"Thanks," he muttered, eyeing the old pants and simple t-shirt that belonged to my father.

 

"Bathroom is at the end of the corridor." I informed him, walking closer but making sure to keep comfortable distance between us. "I also made your bed in the guest room."

 

Baekhyun nodded, with his eyes glued back to the picture and I smiled, looking at my father's big grin as he held the throphy.

 

The picture had been taken 11 years ago during one of the international competitions held in France. It had been the big start of my father's career. Despite the years,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter