Chapter 13

Make Me Regret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I closed the door behind us and quickly locked it in case Sooyoung would decide to enter without giving me enough time to hide Baekhyun. I was already breathing heavily, the adrenaline finally kicking in, rushing through my veins, and buzzing annoyingly in my ears. My hands were shaking as the bits and pieces of the current situation were finally falling in place, shaping complete picture of the catastrophe that lay ahead. What a stupid thing did I just do? I hit the wooden door with my head, shutting my eyes in desperation as my brain struggled to give me an answer for a possible way out of the hopeless situation I was in.

But nothing seemed to come to my mind, and I was left with many alternatives of how I could've handled the situation better instead. Oddly, pushing Baekhyun down the stairs was one of the best solutions I could think of. What the hell was wrong with me?

"Hey, what are you doing?" Baekhyun's voice hit my ears, interrupting the short moment of silence I needed to pull myself together and think of an excuse I would feed Sooyoung with. I opened my eyes slowly, pure fury rolling down my entire body as I pointed my index finger at him, almost jabbing his chest in accusation.

"Shut up," I commanded through gritted teeth. Even the mere sound of his voice frustrated me to death. "I don't want you to say a single word while you're here."

Baekhyun blinked twice as he scanned my face, looking quite offended when I snapped back at him. One of his brows rose as he gave me a dubious look, not believing his ears. "You were the one dragging me inside."

"Yeah?" I laughed shortly, running a shaky hand through my short hair. "Okay, so let's say I lost my mind for a moment. But it was your fault to begin with! Why did you have to come here?!"

"I wanted to talk," he explained with a voice an octave lower than before. I could easily tell he didn't appreciate the way I talked to him, but right now I couldn't care less. Stifling an angry scream, I growled as I lifted my hands to my face, my fingers curling up as I tried to suppress the discontent that was beginning to bubble inside of me. Talk, just like that? After what had happened? He must have gone mad, thinking I would be happily waiting to talk to him. Only Byun Baekhyun could push me to a state of complete delirium within a blink of an eye. That was some talent he had there.

Before I had a chance to retort back, the sheer ring of the dreadful doorbell shot though my entire apartment when Sooyoung finally reached the front door. My face drained of all its blood as I struggled to calm my now fast beating heart. A moment later, the doorknob moved from left to right as my friend tried to get inside, "Mira, open the door!"

Having no time to waste anymore, I pointed at my room's door with a quick jerk of my head, "Lock yourself inside. I doubt she will want to go there, but in case she wants to, we will just pretend the lock is broken."

"You want me to hide inside your room?" Baekhyun asked in a shushed voice matching my own, and if not for the unfortunate situation we were in, I would've laughed at the disbelief and uncertainty radiating from his every word. Did the big playboy have a problem with entering a girl's room?

"Mira, come on!" Sooyoung cried out from the other side of the door, already knocking madly in the rhythm of a decent pogo song. Just one minute longer, I would have ended up with a hole in it. "Stop playing around and open that damn door!"

I grabbed Baekhyun's arms to spin him around. Placing my hands on his back, I pushed him in the direction of my room, hissing in fury, "Less questions and more action." Baekhyun didn't say a word, deciding to leave the protests for later and obediently walked in the direction I was pushing him. When we finally reached my room, I pointed at the key in the lock to let him know what he had to do. I then turned around to shout loud enough for Sooyoung to hear, "One moment! I'm in the bathroom!"

"Wait," he turned around to me, just as I was about to close the door behind Baekhyun, placing one hand on the doorframe and holding onto the doorknob with the other one to stop me from closing the door. "How long do I have to stay here?"

"Why?" I asked, faking the curiosity. "Will you be late for a quick with Jihyun?"

My question silenced him successfully and he let go of the knob, straightening up as he examined my face. As much as I didn't want to admit it, he seemed hurt by my words and my insides twisted in a discomforting feeling of guilt. Okay, maybe I went a little too far with that bluntly-spoken, sarcasm-dripping question, but he was the one acting inappropriate most of the time, so the situation just asked for it. Or so I thought, before I saw the bitter look on his face.

Uh-oh...

"Have fun," he said stiffly, before reaching to the doorknob and shutting the door with one swift pull right before my face. Great, I had one angry girl waiting outside and a deeply offended guy inside. The evening was going to be so much fun.

As a long, weary sigh escaped my lips, I walked to the door and unlocked it, finally letting Sooyoung in after the long wait. I wasn't shocked seeing her standing there with an ugly scowl on her face. But what took me by surprise and almost knocked me down to the floor was the guy walking up the stairs and waving at me.

"Noona!" The boy shouted, not minding our neighbors at all. Sooyoung's head whipped around at the sound of the boy's voice, while I struggled to form a single word that wouldn't sound like a gibberish that came right from a person who skipped every part of evolution. That had to be a joke... Couldn't they take turns in visiting me instead of raiding me all together?

"What are you doing here?" I asked hurriedly when Baekbeom stood beside Sooyoung, finally finding my tongue in mouth. He smiled joyfully, completely ignoring my friend who was eyeing him from head to toe in confusion, wondering how I happened to know a middle-schooler.

"I came to see you!" He informed me, beaming at me as if he didn't do anything wrong and that I should've been more than delighted to enjoy his company today. Unfortunately for me, his declaration only made things worse as Sooyoung's eyes widened in horror.

I scratched my head, cursing in my mind. I could handle Sooyoung, but how was I supposed to get rid of Baekbeom as well? Heaving a tired sigh, I looked down at my watch, "Boy, do you know what time it is?"

"I'm home alone," he said, the happiness and giddiness vanishing completely from the tone of his voice. Baekbeom looked to the side, avoiding my eyes as he folded his arms behind his back, looking even younger now than he already was. "I don't like being alone and my brother just went somewhere."

At that moment, I was ready to go back to my room and drag Baekhyun out so he could apologize to his precious brother for leaving him alone. I swear, if not for Sooyoung, I would've done that, kicking Baekhyun's for ditching my poor Baekbeom.

I pinched the bridge of my nose, already feeling a growing headache. I couldn't leave Baekbeom alone and I couldn't let Baekhyun go out of my room when Sooyoung was around. Already regretting the only right decision I could make now, I stepped back, making space for them to come inside. Fortunately for me, Baekbeom was a big gentleman despite his young age, and he let Sooyoung come in first, giving me a chance to whisper to him the most important rule of this house.

"Do not mention that Baekhyun is your brother," I informed him as quietly as I could when he passed by me. Baekbeom looked up at me in surprise, but nodded in agreement right away, pressing his lips so tight that they turned white, as a sign of his promise to stay quiet.

I chuckled under my nose, watching him happily take off his shoes and run to the living room after Sooyoung. My gaze darted back to the door of my own bedroom and the small grin I had on my lips quickly melted away.

Byun Baekhyun, what the hell were you doing to your brother?

* * * * *

When the movie was over and the final credits started playing in the accompaniment of some Michael Bubble song, I loo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter