Nine

The Girl Who Sees The Future

“Auntie, where are we going?” Soeun asked. Her dearest auntie Boyoung appeared at her door that morning, saying that she would send her to work. But now, their driving direction doesn’t seem like it. But her look was dead serious, she was afraid to ask up until she realise they were already on a highway going far off the city.

“Away from Seoul.” Her short answer made Soeun blinked a few times.

“I’m sorry, auntie, but why? I need to go to work.”

Boyoung dreaded to answer her. Jaerim, I’m going to kill you! Boyoung screamed in her head. She has no plan revealing the past to Soeun, not today, not ever. The past is buried because she wanted to protect her niece, now, because of Jaerim’s carelessness, she needs to reveal the whole truth.

“Why did you do it? Without protection?” Boyoung hit her steering.

Soeun was taken aback. “Auntie, what did I do?” Soeun asked sincerely.

“Why did you make the baby, Soeun? Why did you make him care for you? Now, you are his target.” Boyoung rattles on. Soeun didn’t get it. What is her aunty talking about?

“Look, it’s a long story. Lucky your uncle out for his business trip, if not I don’t how to handle both of you at the same time.”

“Auntie, can you please explain to me one by one? I truthfully have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“It’s easier to show you.” Boyoung parked at the side of the highway and put on the emergency light.

“Ok, relax ok Soeun.” Boyoung took both of her hands. “I know your ability.”

“What?”

“Yes, I know you can see the future. Now, I wanted you to see you future.” Boyoung asked her, straight into her eyes. Soeun looked at her with displeased face; she has more questions to ask.

“Please Soeun, could you just do what I say? I’ll tell you everything.” Boyoung begged.

So eun nodded in frustration. She was so confused. She had never told anyone about her ability, how did she know?

Soeun sighed, dreading to see her future. The last time she sees, it was death, second, it was the baby. What more could be in store for her?

She closed her eyes and mustered all her courage. Once her eyes opened, she was on the sidewalk, the area that she supposed to die. But this time, there were many people, and it seems like it was supposed to be one of the morning where she is going to work. Strange, she said to herself. Instinctively, she looked upon her watch. The date has changed! It was supposed to be in 3 days’ time!

Soeun looked up to see herself at the traffic light and the moment it turned green, her future self walk across the street. And then the moment came, a lorry came charging towards her and rammed her along with other pedestrians.

Soeun look towards her auntie in shock. “I, I... “ She stuttered.

“I know, you are going to die in 3 days’ time. That’s why I’m dragging you out of the city.”

Soeun asked the most obvious question. “How you do know? And, death wasn’t supposed to change! I look at my future before auntie, I’m supposed to die in a year time, how does that change?”

Boyoung shakes her head. “Death changes if it happened unnaturally. Somebody wanted to kill you, and he has changed his mind to kill you sooner.”

“Why would he want to kill me?”

Boyoung sighed out loud. “His target is Jaerim, and he know how much Jaerim cares about you since you are having his child, so he targeted you. You also know him Soeun..”

**

17 years ago…

“Hi everyone, meet Jaerim. Jaerim, introduced yourself.”

Jaerim bowed to the rest of the class. “Hi, I’m Jaerim. Nice to meet you. Please treat me well.”

Seunggi raised his hand. “Teacher, can I ask him a question?”

Kyungmin nodded.

“Hi Jaerim. I’m Seunggi, I have the power to create force field. Look!” Seunggi raised his hand, something white, looking like balls formed on his hand. “Catch!” He threw the ball at Jaerim. Jaerim was shocked but instinctively his raised his hands and catch the balls, played with it and poke it that it just disappeared in thin air.

“Woo…” Seunggi clapped. “Welcome, hyung, that is super awesome! If anybody else, they would have at least fallen down!”

“Urgh, that is nothing, can you handle this?” Heejun raised his finger towards several books on his table and throw them towards Jaerim while his other hand raised both Jaerim’s hand to the air. Jaerim was astounded. Before the books reached his face, he actually stopped them with his mind. The books hang in midair, right across his face. Jaerim bring his hands down and took one of the books and flipped the pages. “I like this book, especially this phrase, ‘And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.’ Paulo is a genius, don’t you think?” Jaerim mocked fun at Heejun and return back the entire book to his table.

Kyungmin looked at Boyoung and they both smiled proudly. Jaerim ability to understand the brain motions helped him to absorb the powers hit against him. It was the most powerful ability he has seen yet among the children he has gathered.

“Ok, that is enough kids. We’ll resume class as usual, ok? Jaerim, please take a seat, the one beside Soeun.”

“Here, Jaerim.” Soeun pointed to the empty seat beside her.

Heejun sneered at Jaerim. He doesn’t like the attention towards Jaerim. He was the most powerful, but now Jaerim steals his spotlight.

**

“So, how do you find out?”

They gathered around for lunch, and Jaerim was the center of attention.

“I don’t know. That thing happened this morning, it just happened.”

“What? That means you were powerless before this? Then why do teacher bring you here?” Yoona asked.

“Yeah, this place is for kids with special abilities only.” Heejun added.

“Look, I have no idea ok. My mother told me she has no money to pay for my school, and if I want to continue studying, I should follow my father footsteps to this school. Then that ahjusi rattles on about me having the same ability as my father, how precious it is and yada yada. That’s all I know.”

“Who’s your father?”

“Song Ilkook.”

“Wooooo..” The kids’ mouths went agape. Ilkook was a legendary undercover policeman. He was known among the earliest to go through the science experiment which allowed him to have the ability to understand the motion of the brain.

“Then you must have inherited his power!” Yoonseok said joyfully. “He was legendary!”

“He was?” Jaerim asked.

“Oh, don’t be silly Yoonseok. All our parents are, he is just one of them. How do you think we got all these powers?” Sora added.

“But Ilkook was the most powerful of them all. He could absorb all the powers. And you, you must have his power as well!” Yoonseok said in excitement.

“Powerful? He’s dead.” Heejun said stoicly. All eyes were on him, each of them giving meaningful stares asking him to apologize to Jaerim.

“You know what? This is crazy. Just because our parents are policemen who went through some sick experiments and have these powers, and we have inherited them, doesn’t mean we need to live the same life, don’t you think?” Heejun breaks out.

Soeun started crying. Being the youngest in the group, only 10, she has yet to have the same mind with the other teenagers in the group.

“Why are you crying babe?” Yoona asked.

“This crying baby, why is she in the group?” Heejun now standing.

“Heejun, calm down. They are coming.” Sora said. Sora could read others’ mind. Although they are only bunch of kids and teenagers, but they do have superpowers, and their movement is under the scrutiny of the police around the facility. The facility was built to cater the need of the children with special powers, as a result of inheritance of powers from their parents. Their parents who went through the experiments to make them better policemen have resulted in them having the same power.

However, Heejun has long struggled to understand why he needs to follow his parents’ footsteps. He never asked to have these abilities, and now he is indebted to the nation and need to became a policeforce?

 “We are more than this ok? I’m sick and tired being here, locked like prisoners. I don’t want to be a police, I can be more than that with this power.” He started lifting Soeun to the air and threw her to the ground. Soeun crying got louder.

“Stop crying!”

The group was shocked. Yoona immediately went to Soeun and healed her wounded knees with her healing power.

Sora read Soeun’s mind and now she’s in shock. “Seunggi, stop him. He’s going to kill them!”

“What do you mean?”

“I read Soeun’s mind, the future is… “ Heejun throw a chair towards Sora and cut her midway. Seunggi used his forcefield and attacked Heejun, however, Heejun was faster. He ducked and lifted Seunggi and threw him across the room against the policemen who were coming to stop him.

Jaerim who was still in shocked, trembled. He only knew about his power this morning, and whatever happened was reactionary. He doesn’t even knew how work them out. What should he do?

Kyungmin came charging with electric gun aimed at Heejun. However, Heejun took the gun from his pocket and shoot him in the heart. “Papa!” Soeun cried outloud. Heejun ran off and disappeared from that day.

**

“Soeun, I’m sorry. I erased your memory because you were traumatized and couldn’t speak for weeks,” Boyoung said apologetically.

Soeun tears welled up in her eyes. “Ok..Its ok..” She calmed herself down.

“So, its Heejun? He’s after me?” Soeun asked.

“After that day, he has been causing troubled all around. We’ve been playing cat and mouse game and have never had the chance to catch him. So I asked Jaerim to absorb your power, so that we could take him down by tracking his future plans.”

“Then why kill me?” Soeun continued asking.

“His rivalry with Jaerim is unspoken yet undeniable. They both are the most powerful and he has been consistently sending threats to hurt people around Jaerim. His mother, I mean Jaerim’s, has been relocated countless times, and now, I don’t know how, but he knew Jaerim cares about you and you become his new target.”

Soeun shivered thinking somebody is aiming to kill her.

“This morning, Jaerim called me because he saw the vision of you being hit. He’ll come here soon ok, the rest of the team will hunt Heejun. I will hunt him down. Don’t you worry, baby. You’ll be safe.” Boyoung hugged Soeun who is still trembling with fears.

**

“Oppa!” Jaerim hugged Soeun earnestly. Boyoung looked at the lovebirds and nodded to Jaerim, sending unspoken message to ask him to protect Soeun. He just nodded and continued to calm Soeun while Boyoung drove off back to the team at Seoul.

“How are you jagi?”

“I don’t know, this whole thing doesn’t make sense. Yesterday, I was at work, cursing about you to Boa because you have not contacted me for two weeks, living a very normal life. And today, I’m at Jeju with you, who is by the way an undercover for police and there is this team with superpowers, and my auntie is part of the team, and so was my father, who is killed by this crazy man in front of me like, 17 years ago, and now the same crazy guy most likely succeeded killing me in the next 3 days? How do you think I am?” Soeun rattled in one breath.

Jaerim couldn’t help but continued hugging her and patting her head. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I didn’t contact you for weeks. I’m sorry I wasn’t fast enough to catch him. I’m sorry I didn’t protect your father. I’m sorry Soeun-ah..”

Soeun kept silence. It was overwhelming day for her. But at least, she knew she is now protected by this man.

“Soeun..” Jaerim continued.

“Hmmm..”

“And I miss you. So much.”

Soeun raised her head. She looked at him while her hand still hugging his waist. “I miss you too..” She then cradled his face and kissed him tenderly.