Eight

The Girl Who Sees The Future

Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale.. Ok, this is quite tiring. It has been a long time she last hiked, and now halfway through she’s already panting madly. She stopped and continues again until she reached the top. The scene was breathtaking and she secured a spot where she just sits to relax her mind.

Connecting back to nature is somehow her own method to calm her mind. You have a baby on the way! Her mind speaks aloud. She sighed, but started to caress her stomach. Somehow, it feels nice. After Jaerim send her home last night, she did try to see her future again, since they changed their mind. But the scene remains, which means she’s absolutely sure they are pregnant. Hence, the hiking. She wanted to calm her mind, and she knows she needed to make decision.

With only one year left, isn’t it best if she let go the baby? Who would take care of her? Argh.. she felt so torn inside. She loves the baby already and she don’t have the guts to go through abortion.

Who will take care of her after she's not around? She asked herself.

“Soeun, is that you?”

She went frozen. Urgh, is that her boss’s voice? Oh no, she would not like to talk about work here! Suddenly she remembered she hasn’t finished closing the accounts for April, and felt dreaded to answer her boss. Should I pretend to be a doppelganger?

Kimbum sits himself beside Soeun, glad he met her here, outside their work environment.

“It is nice to see someone familiar.”

“Hi, yeah, who knows we’ll meet here!” Soeun tried to sound enthusiastic.

“So you’re alone?” Kimbum’s eyes wondered around, hoping she is. It’s really hard to have a one to one talk with her without disturbance at work, whats more with Boa always around to interfere.

“Yeah.. Just, you know, wanted to have some ALONE time.” Soeun couldn’t help but stress the word alone.

Kimbum pretended not to hear. The opportunity is too precious for him to pass.

“I’m not welcome? You know, I always wanted to know you, work aside.”

Soeun blinked her eyes a few time, then she laughed. What great timing! Now she’s dying, having baby, and her past interest took notice of her? Yeah, she had this one sided crush on her boss, but that feeling was poured with cold ice water once she knew how he played around girls, including her Boa.

Should she drop some bomb?

“You wanted to know me? Now? The past two years doesn’t count?”

Kimbum laughed. “I did try, but your dear friend, doesn’t seem to allow me. You know, we had some history, but, past is past. Don’t you think?”

Soeun winced. Huh, what is trying to get at? He is famous for being player, is he trying to deny it?

“Can I be honest?”

“Sure.”

“I mean, can I be honest and not to be punished at work?”

“Haha.. I’m professional. Today, we’re not colleague, just pure friend.”

“Ok, you’re a player.  A famous, good looking player who seeks one-night pleasure. You never actually do that thing to your colleague, but, who would’ve thought Boa would join the company, right?”

“So you knew I never do that kind of thing to my colleague, don’t you think my interest in you means I genuinely wanted to know you? Not a one-time fling? I wouldn’t want to mix pleasure with work unless I think the risk is worth taking for.”

Soeun fell silent. Urgh, why now?

“I did have crush on you.”

Kimbum grinned widely. He knew it! He always sense her interest in him. Likewise, ever since she joined the company, he couldn’t take of his eyes from her. He never mixed pleasure with work, but she makes him wanted to break the rule. If only Boa not there, he could have her long time ago.

 “But, someone came along.” She rubbed her tummy. No matter what happened to her in a year time, whether she lives or die, she wanted to give the baby a chance to live. She is reminded of her auntie and uncle, who showered her with unconditional love to help her going through her life without parents. She would tell them, and she believes they would help her. For Jaerim, he can be as much involved as he wanted to but she will not pressure him, she decided.

“And, I’m pregnant.”

Kimbum went speechless.

**

“Hi peeps!”

Jaerim short greeting to his colleagues prompt strings of questions bombarded to him.

“How is it?” Yoonseok, a computer whiz asked, with power to manipulate electronic data.

“You managed to get her power?” Asked Yoona, the one with the power of healing.

“Sora, read his mind.” Seunggi asked, the one with the power of creating forcefield.

“No, I wouldn’t let him to take my power!” Kangsora retaliated.

“Calm down people.” All eyes turned to Boyoung as she came out from her room. “I hope you treat her well. And I assumed you didn’t spoil anything that requires my help?”

Jaerim cracked a faked smile. Boyoung would kill him if she knew he made her beloved niece a pregger. He doesn’t think Boyoung’s memory manipulation would help him and Soeun as the baby would remain. He has made decision, but he needs to do his work first.

“She’s fine, and I have her power. He already made his decision, and I’ve seen the future, shall we get back to work?”

The rest of the team cracked a big smile. Yes, the time has come. He will get caught this time and their revenge will be served.

**

Soeun cracked a small smile, seeing Jaerim sitting in front of her door, eyes closed. Instinctively, she rubbed her tummy. No matter what his decision is, I’m keeping this baby, she said to herself. She secretly hopes he will be involved, because at least, even if the baby does not have its mother, her father will be there.

She squatted in front of him and caresses his arm. “Jaerim.”

Jaerim eyes opened to the loveliest smile he ever seen. His heart was overflowed with love and his right palm cupped her face. “Hi.”

“Come in.” Soeun took his hand.

They settled on the sofa and sit closed to each other that even a fly couldn’t get between them. Jaerim entwined his fingers with hers, and both of them keep silent for a while.

“You want some drinks?”

Jaerim just shook his head.

“Soeun, there’s so much I wanted to tell. But first.. the baby.. if you’re pregnant.” Jaerim stopped for a while. He knew she is pregnant for sure. After he sends her back yesterday, he tried to read his future and it remains the same. But no matter how much he freak out in the first place, he did felt excited thinking of the baby. It was not planned, but, it felt right. He’s more excited thinking the possibility of a future family life with Soeun, something he never thought he would be capable of after what happened during his childhood.

“I will support you no matter what your decision is.” He said it, and then kissed the back of her hand.

“No matter what? Even if I wanted to keep this baby?” She asked to confirm.

“I’ll be here.” He looked her straight in the eyes, giving her assurance and comfort.

Soeun smiled. At least, the baby would have a father.

“I’m having her. You can be as involved as you wanted to, but, don’t feel pressure.”

“I’ve decided Soeun, I’ll be here.” He said again, assuring her his commitment.

“Thank you.”

“No, thank you. For wanting to keep the baby. I’m kind of excited.” He said, and rest his head at her stomach. “See you in nine months, baby.”

Soeun flustered at his action. Jaerim looked at his watch, sighing. He needed to go, his departure time was nearing.

“Soeun, I have some worked to do, overseas.” Jaerim sit right back.

“You might not be able to contact me for a while, I'm not sure how long, but I’ll try to keep you posted from time to time. Please don’t worry if you cannot contact me okay.”

Soeun looked at him, trying to gauge his sincerity.

“Look, I’m not running away. I’m serious about taking care of you. So…” Jaerim took out something from his pocket.

“This is the key to my house. And I have wire transfer some money also.”

Soeun scrunched her nose, "How do you know my account?" 

“Soeun, I have so many things to say, I’ll tell you when I’m back.”

Soeun nodded. How could he know her account? Who is he? The work his doing sounded dangerous to her. Should she try to read his future? She set aside her ill feeling and decided she will wait for him. “I'll wait for your explanation.” She gave him a hug, rested her face in his chest. “Come back safe.”

Jaerim looked far. God, please help me survive this mission, he said to himself.