The Road Stretches

Waking Up to a Dream

For Injun, everything seemed like a dream since he honestly hadn't expected Hyunil to come back alive. He was so caught up in the moment that he found himself running towards his husband in slow motion, a million emotions fluttering through his heart. There was a moment that he thought he saw something flashing across Hyunil's face, but he didn't really care. All that mattered was that he could hold and talk to Hyunil again, unable to live himself otherwise. He wanted to say so many things, but all that could come out of his mouth was a cross between a sob and a gasp, the thought that he'd never let go of Hyunil again coming to mind. Or hurting him again.

Just as Injun was about to reach him, Hyunil swiftly raised and swung his hand to slap the DaeGukNamAh member, making him stumble to a stop. Having his senses returning, Injun looked up and his eyes were deep recesses of a sad longing and gratitude, but most of all, a kind of vulnerability when a wounded animal willingly steps into the hands of a predator. Although it made him look cute, Hyunil's resolve wasn't about to be demolished by such a simple thing. It did crack just a bit, though. With pursed lips and mostly looking down, Hyunil made his way into the kitchen and made some hot water for tea. The others, who were completely silent up until then, came around to give him smothering hugs, for which he was grateful, before turning back to their rooms to leave the couple. It didn't lead to something good the first time they did that today, but Hyunil was hoping to change fate this time around.

"Hyunil, I--"

Injun was cut off when Hyunil held his hand up for silence, and then stared down at the table, deep in thought. There was a seriousness about him that seemed to go deeper than the events of the night and the confession, though Injun didn't think it was possible in the least. Very carefully, the DaeGukNamAh member walked toward the table, awkwardly wondering if it would be okay for him to sit. Eventually, he did, across from his husband, but they still didn't say anything. A moment passed where all seemed to be still, afraid to provoke Hyunil, but when he finally looked up, his eyes suggested that there was nothing still about his state.

"I don't know all that happened," Hyunil sighed, once again cursing his inability to recall his time spent at this place, "but I don't think you're a bad person, certainly nothing like...well, I'll tell you. But there's something I have to talk to you about. Before my...memory loss, how much of my home life did I tell you about?"

The question caught Injun off guard, but he answered all the same as best as he could.

"You had a lot of stories, mostly about your father and your younger siblings. And if I remember correctly, you were more of the mother figure at your house, cooking, cleaning, all while juggling homework and studying. But I don't know what you're getting at."

"After what you told me earlier," Hyunil had to brush away some tears as the memories came back, "I think I understand why I went to such a drastic measure with the 'accident.' Injun, I've always loved you, at least as my favorite member from DaeGukNamAh, but I don't know...I mean, I must have loved you as Lee Injun a lot if I was hurt enough to...you know."

"Sweete," Injun reached out and took his husband's hands into his own, "I could tell you did. And if you ever doubt that I felt the same about you--"

"That's the thing, Injun. Have I ever told you about my mother?"

"No. I always assumed you never knew her."

"That wasn't it at all. I have never mentioned her because she left just before I turned fourteen. She was--" he had to sniffle and clear his throat to get strength. "She was a good mother all those years before, I won't deny it. But I don't know when it happened...she started taking spontaneous trips, started ignoring me and my brothers and sisters, got into more and more heated fights with my dad. I...we..."

When he couldn't say it, Injun came around to wrap his arms around Hyunil and practically felt all of the hurt and the despair radiating off of him. He guessed that it grew and festered all of these years for it to affect him like this.

"Eventually, she left," Hyunil continued when he got the strength to. "And then my dad confided in me because I'm the oldest boy, and because we had always been close. When he told me that my mom had been cheating for several months, my first thought was, 'Don't we mean anything to her after all of these years?'"

"Oh, Hyunil," Injun choked, suddenly understanding why it had hurt his husband so much. "I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry."

"And to make things worse, she apparently ran off with whomever she had been screwing around with. I used to hope that she would feel all of the hurt that we did at the hands of this man. She's tried calling me a handful of times over the years, but I haven't forgiven her yet, and haven't spoken to her for years. And...well, I must have thought that I wasn't worth staying faithful for when you first told me about this...thing with Jay."

"No, Hyunil, you're every bit worth being faithful for, don't you ever think otherwise. And what I did, it was inexcusable, which is why I won't blame you if you want to go and abandon me here. But if you don't, I will spend every day reminding you of why you are worth staying faithful for, so that you will never forget it, so that I may forgive myself someday too. I'm sorry. I can't say that enough."

For a moment, Hyunil considered all of these words, weighing each in his mind, trying to make a decision. The shock and the love high of waking up being married to Injun had worn off considerably, and for a fraction of a second, all of the scenes of their time together before the accident seemed to come back, but none of it stuck. Of course he was hurting, but Hyunil was asking himself if there could be peace. After all, he seemed to have grown pretty attatched to the guys here, and they all seemed to like him.

"I don't know, Injun," he sighed, shaking his head. "How many times have I dreamt of being your husband? But to know that you..."

Without finishing that statement, Hyunil ran out again with his jacket and the keys to the car, the boiling water for tea long forgotten. This time, Injun was resigned, crying silently as he watched the figure of the man that he loved so much. Even Hyunil was sobbing voilently by the time he reached the driver's seat of the car, unable to feel anything but the hurt, both the years old gash and the most recent one. Putting the key down on the shotgun seat, he picked up his phone and dialed an almost forgotten number. The line rang for a bit, each one getting closer to winking out his courage, but he forced himself to stay on. When the recipient finally answered, Hyunil had to take a few breaths before he was able to talk, that familiar voice wrenching his heart in two.

"Hey mom, this is Hyunil. I know we haven't talked in a long time..."

As Hyunil picked up the keys to the car again, who could say whether he was going back inside or driving off?