Christmas pt. 3: Water me.

smoke and misunderstandings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don’t get any wrong ideas.

Don’t get any wrong ideas is what he was thinking as Kyungsoo opened Baekhyun’s apartment door to reveal him snuggling on the couch with his oldest friend from high school. Kyungsoo glanced at Sehun, blonde strands of hair dusting upon his resting face as shoulders raised and lowered in shallow amplitude. But he didn’t get any wrong ideas, thankfully. Even with regard to the somewhat compromising situation Baekhyun happened to be lying in - literally. He simply set the bag that was resting on his shoulders down onto Baekhyun’s carpeted floor and walked over to him, soft footsteps crinkling against the fibers of the carpet. Baekhyun’s eyes were open wide in a careless dose of fear as Kyungsoo kneeled down and his ruffled hair. There was tenderness in his movements, a hidden “I’m sorry,” that grazed along with his fingertips. Baekhyun lept up from his position and threw his arms around Kyungsoo’s neck, his shy warm breath speaking for him: “I missed you.”

However, there was hesitation in each other’s tender movements. 

What was the cause?

Was it the jealousy? Or perhaps the guilt?

Of course, it wouldn’t be Baekhyun’s guilt.

Because despite what the previous string of events might have lead one to believe, nothing had happened.

.

“Kyungsoo will be coming back soon, spend your Christmas with him, not me.” 

Sehun was sitting on Baekhyun’s living room couch, after Baekhyun had failed to speak any reassurances to him since he was invited in. Dangerously invited in. Recklessly and carelessly, and even several more synonyms, invited in.  Because Baekhyun had this needy look glazed over his eyes. Glazed over beautiful, watery eyes that he had once fallen in love with.

But things were different now. He was no longer in love with Baekhyun. He no longer found spare time during his day to imagine warm fantasies of his older friend. Nor less warm, more bothersome fantasies that visited him in the evening as hotter waves of heat. He no longer dreamt of his soft, lovely lips or embrace. He no longer gazed at him with soft smiles or wandering eyes. Good thing too, because, if he was still so sadly and nervously in love with Baekhyun he might’ve done something that one of them would have regretted. The regretful one being Baekhyun. If he was still in love with him, he wouldn’t have even cared that Baekhyun had a boyfriend. Sehun would’ve happily kissed him, get drunk with him, crawl into bed with him. And with little guilt. 

So it was a good thing, that Sehun was no longer in love with him.

“Don’t go.” Baekhyun said softly, hugging a pillow closely to his chest.

“Please.”

Those words cut into Sehun and any previous thought of his departure had vanished. 

“I miss you sometimes, Sehun. I think about you.”

Sehun sighed. Baekhyun was watering him. He felt like an orchid, or rather, his love felt like an orchid; a flower able to survive long without constant tending, still full of life and vibrancy even during times of neglect. Because every once and a while Baekhyun would sprinkle small words or glimpses over Sehun, convincing him that he might have a chance - watering him. And though he didn’t burn for him as he did before, he could still feel the tips of his fingers tingling in what used to be desire. 

“Baekhyun, stop this.” Sehun said flatly.

“You love Kyungsoo, don’t try and trick yourself into believing otherwise.”

Baekhyun’s lips tightened, “But,”

“But?” The younger questioned almost mockingly.

“But he’s with Kai.” He spat out the name bitterly.

“Just get some rest. Kyungsoo would never make you feel like this on purpose.” Sehun said, tossing a blanket at him.

“How do you know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter