End: confrontation and happiness, finally

smoke and misunderstandings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a Sunday afternoon; one where Baekhyun thought it would be a good idea to do something that, undeniably, did not seem like a good idea. This Sunday, for the both of them, would not be lacking in the feeling of dread like all other Sundays. Because this Sunday would be spent at a graveyard.
 

With hesitation in every step towards their fathers.
 

Kyungsoo wanted to punish Baekhyun with a suggestion such as that. But even more than that he wished for sedation within himself. Right now, he was the effect of four shots of espresso. Then five. Then six – no, seven. His anxiety wouldn’t freeze, it was chasing wildly within him, shaking him into a frenzy. It was the tapping of his fingers on his thighs, the tightening in his chest, and the knot growing shallowly in his throat. He was scared. This was confrontation, communication, and other c-words he was sure he wouldn’t like. It was Sunday and Kyungsoo was more afflicted than ever, he was almost unhinged.
 

“Baekhyun, are you sure this is a good day?” Kyungsoo asked, looking out his window to gray clouds blanketing the sky.
 

“If we postpone it now I’m afraid it’ll never happen. We’ll be okay.” Baekhyun spoke softly and Kyungsoo wasn’t sure what he meant by his words, which was going to be okay? The weather or them?
 

“This day is as good as any other.” Baekhyun said. And Kyungsoo grunted as he stood up.
 

The older boy sighed, it’s not like he really wanted to either.
 

It was an autumn Sunday afternoon and in their sweaters and raincoats, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo rode a bus to an unsettling destination.  
 

When they arrived Baekhyun almost longed to be drunk. The steps he took were unsteady enough for him to be drunk anyway, but his consciousness was entirely there. And it killed him. He wanted to be stable for Kyungsoo; however, when his hand wandered and gripped the younger’s jacket sleeve, he knew that it was hopeless. He had never done this before, in fact, he actively avoided it. Whether it be skipping the visits his mother planned or driving a different route to prevent passing this significant place – this cemetery. Because he knew that somewhere within that maze of smooth gray stones was lying the father he had such little memory of.  
 

“You okay?” Kyungsoo asked him, watching as Baekhyun’s jaw stiffened with each step.
 

“I’ll be fine. Once I-” Baekhyun stopped, because now, he was faced with a headstone holding something the others fell short of - meaning.
 It was an encounter he had tried to escape for years through his adolescence.   
 

“Make some peace.” Baekhyun whispered, gazing vaguely at the granite before him.
 

“Well,” Kyungsoo placed a loose hand on his shoulder, “Now’s your chance.”
 

And the older boy sat with crossed legs before his father, approaching him with the same childlike demeanor that he had left him with.
 

“Hey Dad. It’s been a while.”
 

“I turn 21 this year; can you believe it? You probably can’t hear me? Can you?”
 

“I play piano now.”
 

“And I met someone. A guy, I don’t really know if you would approve or not. If you were alive I would hope that you would like him. Because I’ve really ended up liking him – a lot.”
 

Baekhyun patted the sides of his legs tensely, the nervousness drifting to his wrists and fingers.
 

“Anyways, this is your son, Baekhyun. The one you decided to leave. But, don’t worry Dad, I still love you.”
 

“But just one thing, just one more thing, I’m happy that you’re in a better place and that you got your revenge, but Dad, do you realize what you left behind? I’m glad for you, but why did you have to leave me? Don’t you know what you’ve done? You left your son behind, Dad. Even though I’ve left you behind by not talking to you like this, you still left

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter