Chapter 5

Living A Nightmare

Kai’s POV

After a minute of running I caught her walking towards a house near a corner.. It was very near to the park. I walked closer and called "Son Naeun." She was shocked by the sound of her name and turned around to find me walking towards her with my hands in my pockets. Her eyes suddenly widened from seeing my presence. She looked back and hurried out the small gate towards me making me a little curious from her actions. "Wha-what are you doing here?!" she asked almost in shock as if I shouldn't be here.. I took the purse out and handed it to her. "You dropped this" I said. She turned her attention to the purse and widened her eyes. "Ah, I'm sorry, thank you.." she said as she grabbed it. She is too naive, saying thanks and sorry at the same time.. "Um so.. Bye?" She said with her teeth clenched awkwardly together. I was confused by it and wondered whether she was in a hurry.. "Um, do you live here?" I asked curiously as I gazed to the house. I've got to admit, it wasn't very attractive from outside. "Oh, um.. No. My friend lives here.. I'm sorry but I'm in a hurry.." she replied, almost as if she was eager to have me leave. I could clearly tell she was lying.. But why? She couldn't possibly be embarrassed by her house.. Well, I'll find out soon anyway, I thought.

I understood her and decided to end it at this. "Well, take care of yourself.. Son Naeun" I said with a light smile before waving and walking off.. My smile disappeared.. She was hiding something from me. Something she didn't want me to see.. Her strange behaviour, her bruised hand.. I could tell. I'm pretty quick witted like that. What could it possibly be..?

Naeun's POV

That was close.. I sighed and closed the gate behind me. I wasn't allowed visitors at any time. Even Hayoung must have realised something was going on from the amount of times I had told her she couldn't visit me. But, of all people, I didn't want Jongin anywhere near my house.. If he realises something's strange, he will think I'm a crazy person.. I don't want him to think that.

I stepped into the house and took off my shoes. "Naeun-ah you're back so early" I heard my mum say. I headed to the kitchen and saw my mother starting to make dinner. I was relieved it was only the two of us. I pulled my sleeves up to wash my hands and started helping out.. "Naeun-ah.." My mother spoke. "Mm?" "Who was that boy just now?" She asked me. I widened my eyes in shock and saw my mother looking at me with a smile on her face. I laughed lightly.. "Were you peeking on us?" I asked cheekily making my mum's smile widen. "He looks like a gentleman" my mum said whilst giving me her side eye-smile I had not seen in a while. I laughed and was happy that I could have such a conversation with my mother. It felt really nice. All of a sudden, I was taken back to the moment earlier.. How close I was to him.. The thought of it made my heart flutter and although I felt embarrassed by myself I actually couldn't wait to see him again.

My mother suddenly interrupted my thoughts and I turned to her.. “Naeun-ah.. You know your step-father doesn’t like having friends hanging out near our house right..?” My gaze lowered and I nodded at her words.. “I know omma.. I didn’t mean to” I replied while biting my lips in regret. If only I had been more careful. “And please omma, don’t call him my ‘step-father’. A person like that, no, a monster like that is not entitled to be called a step-father!” I growled quietly. My mother sighed at my words and patted my head. “Don’t think too much about it and just try and pay attention to your studies okay?” My mother said trying to make me forget it, but it wasn’t that easy.

“omma” I called as I grabbed her hands looking at her beautiful face. “Let’s go.. Far away” I exhaustedly said to which my mother’s eyes widen. “I don’t think I can take it anymore.. I just want us gone far, far away from here..” my mother let go of my hands and cupped my face lightly. “Naeun-ah.. You are able to study because of him, and make something out of yourself. Don’t throw that away that easily.” I closed my eyes in annoyance and grabbed her warm hands away from my face “omma!..” I begged for her to understand but just before I could continue my sentence the sound of the gate opening caught our attention. “Quick Naeun-ah, go up to your room and study” my mum spoke in a low tone guiding me out the kitchen almost startling me from her behaviour. I just sighed in response and grabbed my bag heading up the stairs to my room and closed the door behind me. A sigh left my mouth once again as I threw my bag to my bed. I opened my drawer and grabbed my phone I had forgotten to take with me today.. I sat on my bed and looked through the amount of missed calls and text messages, mostly from Hayoung that I didn’t check.

[From Hayoung:]
~Naeun unnie are you well? I didn’t see you today :/?

[From Hayoung:]
~Unnie! Naeun unnie reply to me please. Why are you not picking up your phone? It’s been two days already >. Where are you?

[From Hayoung:]
~Unnie, I’ll wait for you outside the gate at 5:00pm. If you don’t come, I’ll take it you haven’t read my messages..

[From Hayoung: ]
~..Unnie, you promised to help me out today but I still don’t see you. What has gotten into you? Huh.. Oh and a guy was asking for you today, Jongin-shi? I take it you know him?

My heart fluttered catching a hot breeze developing inside of me. “Jongin..?” I muttered. Why did he ask for me? I ruffled my hair in annoyance and put my phone on the side. If I had just checked my phone and replied back to Hayoung then she wouldn’t have worried about me, nor would I have revealed there was something going on..

Sehun's POV

"Kai hyung!" I called after catching a glimpse of him walking towards the stairs outside of the library. From others perspectives, this guy might look like a hot student entering the library to study, but that's all just bull as all he does is sleep in the quiet area.

He turned to see me waiting at a bench in the big garden located in the campus. Strangely, he looked like something was really bothering him.. Pfft! This hyung.. He even snapped at me earlier today for no reason. It's payback time!

"What's up?" He said before reaching to a stop and taking a seat in front of me. "I should be asking you that" I replied making him raise an eyebrow. "Why's that?" He asked looking completely uninterested from the expression he was giving me. "Yah! Can't you at least make an effort" I growled at him now crossing my arms. He let out a sigh "Agh, Sehun I'm not in the mood to argue with you" he spoke before laying his head on the table in annoyance. What has gotten into this hyung? Ok, he isn't usually like this and even I'm getting worried right now. Maybe I should have let him sleep it off in the library. Sigh, I guess payback can wait.

"What's wrong?" I asked him. He lifted his head up and didn't give a reply. "Don't tell me.. Naeun?" I said hoping for a change in his expression and damn was my expectation right. He widened his eyes at me giving me a curious look. "What about her?" He asked. I let out a laugh which I knew I shouldn't have done after catching the annoyance on him. "Nothing. I just mentioned her as I thought she might be the reason you're acting like that." "And why would you think that?" He asked me. I cleared my throat "Well.. Ever since you met her you've been acting strange." After hearing me say that he turned his gaze away as if he was thinking hardly of something. "Yah! Cheer up!" I told him while patting his shoulder. "I don't know what's making you like this but I guarantee you will feel better tomorrow night" I added trying to make him feel less worried. I really am an awesome friend!

Kai's POV

He really is of no use.. Tomorrow night isn't going to change anything. I need to figure out a way to make Naeun open up to me but how..? My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by Sehun's voice, again. "Hey Kai, I'm going to leave you at this. I'm meeting up with Hayoung in a little while so use your spare time well, alright? I suggest you head to the coffee shop at the corner. Try the 'taste of heaven' cake, it'll make you forget everything in an instant" he said and ruffled my hair. Aish this little.. Before I could get the chance to dislocate his hand for messing up my hair, a familiar female voice distracted me.

"Ah, hello" she said before bowing at us. It was Hayoung.. "Hey, you finished earlier?" Sehun asked in surprise. I could almost see how happy he was from the face he gave. It's usually a poker face but when he's around Hayoung nothing can stop him from revealing some of his true emotions.

"Well, the meeting was quicker than I thought it would be..” Hayoung replied and turned her eyes to me. “um Jongin-shi, have you seen Naeun unnie? She suddenly disappeared again..” she asked me with a curious look on her face. “Ah yeah I met her a little while ago. She headed home after that” I replied seeing her nod with a little worried face. “She felt a little tired but I treated her to some food before she left” I further added with a smile trying to let Hayoung know she shouldn’t have anything to worry about. Gladly I succeeded by the look of her relieved expression. I also managed to catch Sehun’s ‘this-hyung-didn’t-tell-me!’ face, I guess I have some explaining to do later. “Shall we go?" Hayoung asked to which Sehun nodded and gave me the ‘call-me’ gesture before heading off with Hayoung. This Sehun is faster than I thought.. He didn't even tell me he was going on a date with her. I smiled slightly after understanding Sehun's situation and stood up from the bench releasing a sigh..

Library, here I come!

Naeun's POV

I headed down to the kitchen seeing my mother taking a sip of the food. "Omma, you need any help?" I asked grabbing her attention. "No no Naeun-ah, it's almost done." She replied whilst cleaning the table. I peeked across the living room to find him watching television with some cans of alcohol surrounding him.. My heart felt a little uneasy from seeing that. Whenever he's drunk, there is no controlling him.

I took a seat at the kitchen table getting ready to eat. "Naeun-ah" my mother called while handing me my plate of food. "Go eat upstairs alright?" She said making a frown appear on my nose. "I'll eat with you." I said starting to pull my sleeves up and getting ready to eat. "No Naeun! Go up alright? I need to stay down here" my mother said, this time with clear words. I sighed in annoyance but deep down I was worried about her being alone with that man. She was trying to protect me, which is why she responded like that. "Omma, if you need something let me know straight away." I whispered and headed towards my room. As I closed the door behind me I sat right down onto the floor and crossed my legs. As I took a look at my surroundings, the feeling of emptiness came back to me. It has been 4 month already and I still feel like this every time I'm alone in the house.. I didn't like the look of my bedroom, it gave me the chills. Some things were obviously broken because of him.. It didn't feel like this room belonged to me since he could barge in any minute. I sighed and started to eat the food.

Suddenly, the sound of glass breaking widened my eyes. The feeling of a crowd of ants rushed through my chest from hearing that and my heart suddenly dropped...

 

“Omma!”




***
 

Hi readers! You know when I said this story would only be 5 to 6 chapters long? Well.. Now as I continue to work on it, I don’t think I can make it that short. Yaaaay! Haha ^^ It will definitely be longer!

Oh and I’m sorry if Sehun is a little annoying in this fanfic ^.<” hehe. I’m thinking of making a Sehun/Hayoung fanfic with a more mature Sehun. Well, after I finish this story so probably not anytime soon.

Also, I won’t be updating in a while as I have my exams coming up soon which is also why I made this chapter longer. But please continue to read and like this story. Thank you for subscribing, commenting, voting and everything! ^^ and good luck to anyone with exams around the corner! Oh, and please keep smiling! ;) haha