Change of Scenery (Part 2)

New Start, New Blood, New Love

About an hour and a half after telling the town they were leaving and many, many tears, Jongdae and Chanyeol arrived in Seoul. As they were driving into the city, Chanyeol stared in wonder, Jongdae could only glance. He's got to be a safe driver, after all. But, from what Jongdae saw, he knew Chanyeol would be awestruck at how different it was from their old home.

 

"So, what do you think Yeol?" Jongdae asked his friend in the passenger's seat. Chanyeol stared for a few more seconds, before answering with an extremely brief, "...It's big."

 

Jongdae laughed at Chanyeol's response. Seoul was bigger compared to their hometown, much bigger. Chanyeol's answer was so obvious, Jongdae couldn't help but laugh.

 

"Yes, yes it is Yeol. Anything else? Use your big boy words!" Jongdae used a baby voice when saying this, which earned him a punch in the arm from Chanyeol. Jongdae just laughed again, seeing his friend's childish side come out.

 

"Haha, very funny Dae. You should become a comedian instead of a detective!" Chanyeol joked in a snarky tone. He didn't like being babied, even if he was younger than Jongdae. It was an issue of pride for Chanyeol, and also held a deeper meaning.

 

Jongdae and Chanyeol were young when their lives changed drastically, and when 'The Event' happened, Chanyeol nearly lost his mind. Luckily, Jongdae was there to save him before Chanyeol was gone for good. If it wasn't for Jongdae, Chanyeol might be in a mental institution at this moment, instead of South Korea's capitol city. Jongdae made sure to always take care of Chanyeol, and the latter couldn't be happier to have such a good best friend. But there was a problem to always being taken care of.

 

Jongdae almost never burdened Chanyeol with his problems. If they needed to work late nights for a case, Jongdae always made Chanyeol go home and sleep, while he seemed to be addicted to coffee every morning. While Chanyeol always seemed to be taken care of, Jongdae always putting everyone, especially Chanyeol, over himself. And most times, it showed.

 

"Dae, you know you can tell me anything, right? And I mean anything." Chanyeol looked at Jongdae, wondering what was going through the older man's head. Jongdae glanced at Chanyeol, clearly confused at the very sudden, very out-of-place question. It was weird, making Jongdae curious where it came from.

 

"Yeah, I know Yeol. Why do you ask?" Chanyeol sighed, knowing he'd have to spill what was on his mind for the past few mintutes. But he didn't want to spill his guts now. Confessing your worries in a car, especially when the reason you're worried is driving, isn't the best course of action.

 

"Can we wait until you're not driving, Dae? I don't know how you're going to take it, and I'd rather not die just as we driving in our new home." Chanyeol said, smiling into the last part. Understanding, Jongdae laughed at his friend. Chanyeol was really funny sometimes, especially when he didn't mean to be.

 

"Okay then, Yeol. How do you feel abot lunch? It's been a while since breakfast." Jongdae looked at Chanyeol, and he was nodding furiously. Jongdae laughed some more at Chanyeol's reaction,

 

Soon afterwards, they had parked the car, and were searching for a place to eat. Soon they found a new burger place that just opened. Seeing as they never had anything other than instant food and the ocassional curry they recieved, the duo rarely had eaten out to fancy traditional restaurants, let alone American restaurants, that also were nowhere near their town. (AN: I have no idea what kind of restaurants are in South Korea, so don't give me grief if I get it wrong, please.)

 

Soon after ordering, both Chanyeol and Jongdae were sitting in a booth, waiting for their order to be called. Chanyeol was getting antsy, his stomach's grumbling was getting louder and louder. Jongdae smirked at the younger's anxiousness, knowing that Chanyeol wanted quality food for once, and this wait wasn't helping. This behaviour reminded Jongdae of the younger's behaviour in the car.

 

"So, Yeol. What was bothering you earlier in the car? And don't tell me it was nothing, that question you asked me was out of place and weird." Jongdae asked, looking at Chanyeol, who suddenly became very interested in the table. The plain, white table. Basically, the table was the least interesting thing at the moment. Chanyeol knew he wouldn't get away from Jongdae this time.

 

"Hey, Yeol. Stop staring at the table. Just tell me!" Jongdae exclaimed, smacking Chanyeol's head. The latter let out a pitiful sounding whimper, which just made Jongdae laugh harder. Chanyeol knew that didn't help him at this moment, but he didn't care. Jongdae could hit hard when he wanted to, a fact the older man conveniently 'forgot' sometimes.

 

"Jeez Dae, you hit hard! It's not fair, you always forget that!" Jongdae just smirked at Chanyeol's whining, because he loved 'forgetting' his sort-of common smacks to the head hurt more than they should. It helped keep Chanyeol in line when the younger was feeling rebellious.

 

"Fine, I'll talk, you jerk......gosh, this is hard. Okay, listen Dae. I know that I'm younger than you, and I know you think I need to be babied all the time......don't look at me like that! You have no idea where I'm going with this!" Chanyeol exclaimed loudly at Jongdae, since the older had started to look at him in a funny way. "Let me finish, you bozo!" Chanyeol pretty much shouted at Jongdae, which made the latter lose the weird look he was giving Chanyeol, and went back to full-on listening.

 

"Okay Dae, I know you think you can't tell me any of your worries, fears, troubles, you don't want to burden me with your problems. You still see me as the boy you saved from nearly going insane. But, I want you to know you can tell me anything. Not telling me what goes on in your head......it makes me feel like you don't trust me." Chanyeol concluded what had been on his mind, staring down at his fingers. Jongdae, however, had tears gather in his eyes. He didn't know how much keeping things from the younger hurt him.

 

"Yeol, I'm so sorry. I didn't know how much that upset you. Yes, I do still se you as the boy that I had to save, but I have a reason for it. I keep that image with me so I make sure you never feel like that path is the only option. It scared me so much, to think that I'd lose you, the closest person I have to a brother. And the fact that it took you months to start talking again......just talking, Chanyeol! What else am I supposed to do?!" Jongdae ended with tears streaming down his face, his voice going from shrill-like screching to soft, broken sounding whispers. Chanyeol looked at Jongdae's face, both of them crying rivers.

 

"Jongdae, I...I didn't know..." Jongdae cut him off before Chanyeol could wallow in guilt for too long. "It's okay Yeol, I didn't know either. I guess it's both our faults. From now on though, no more secrets. Okay?" Chanyeol smiled at the new deal Jongdae had laid out, nodding his head.

 

"Deal. Now, I think we should leave. Yes, I'm still hungry, but I think our food is cold now. Plus, we caused quite a scene just now." Chanyeol stated, looking at all of the people staring at them. Jongdae just blushed, dragging Chanyeol out of the restaurant. Both men were now standing outside the burger place, wondering where to go next, when suddenly someone shouted...

 

"Somebody stop that man!!! He's wanted by the police!!!"


Junmyeon and Kris were standing in front of an interrogation room, the homeless man now sulking because "He did nothing wrong!" 

 

Or so he says. Luckily, Kris knows how to get to the truth in a matter of minutes on a weak person.

 

"Ok Kris. We have this guy on several accounts or loitering at parks, just staring at little kids. Just yesterday, the same guy tried to kidnap a kid. Luckily, someone was able to catch up to him before the he drove away, hence the nasty bruise on his face. Crack him. I know you can do it." Suho told his one of many partners in their division, Kris.

 

Kris was not only great at catching perps who ran, he was also the person who interviewed the perps in the box, awaiting their fate. His stone-cold expression made it seem impossible for the perps to play the sympathy-card in anyway. So their only option was to tell the truth. Whether it be their dirty secret that got them in trouble, or that the crime they're being accused of is true, they always spill the beans. It was the power of the angry bird face.

 

"Don't worry Suho, I got this. Just like every other case we've worked." Kris just smirked at his 'boss' while Suho rolled his eyes and walked off. He had work to do, and he didn't want to deal with the huge ego Kris has. Everyone in the police department knew of the man's confidence, and many people avoided him because of that fact. Not that Kris minded though. It just boosted his ego more, for some weird reason.

 

As soon as Kris walked in the box, the perp automatically started shouting...again. "I told you on the way here, I dodn't do it! Call my brother, my mother, anyone that knows me! I DID NOT DO IT!!!" Kris just sat down, waiting for the man to shut up. It took a while, but he finally stopped talking after five minutes.

 

"Wait, what did I not do again?" Kris nearly let his head fall down on the table in front of him at that. This guy was testing his patience, no wonder Kai was about to punch him. He knew that one or two of the guys was watching this interview right now, but Kris knew that whoever was behind the double-sided mirror, was laughing at his misfortune. And Kris knew he was gonna kill whoever it was.

 

"For planning a kidnapping, and nearly succeeding in your plan." When the man heard the charges, he instantly shut up, alerting Kris that something changed. He kept staring at the man, waiting for him to continue talking, but he never did. Something was up, and now Kris was curious.

 

"Okay then, what's your name? I can't ask you anything else if I don't know your name." The man kept on staring at the wall before answering in the quietest voice he's used so far. "Rob. My name is Rob." Kris nodded, now he can start whittling this man down until he gets answers.

 

"Thanks Rob. Now, before you got taken in for the possible kidnapping charge, many complaints came in about a man with your exact description loitering just a little too close to the children playing on a playground, over a series of days. Why is that, Rob?" Kris stared at the man, watching a drop of sweat run down Rob's face. He was starting to get uncomfortable, and that made snatching a confession easier for Kris.

 

"I-I-I honestly don't know, it's not like I go to the Unja park all the time!" Rob yelled, his eyes darting around the room. Kris just smirked at Rob, because he obviously didn't know what he just said.

 

"Rob, I never said anything about it being the Unja park. Although you're right, all of the complaints came from that park. Care to explain?" Rob just froze, staring at Kris as if his life was ending. Which, technically his life was ending with that little slip-up. 

 

"I-I-I-I...........you just.........JUST SHUT UP, YOU KNOW NOTHING OKAY?!?! THEY WERE ASKING FOR IT, THOSE STUPID KIDS!!!" Rob suddenly snapped, jumping up from his seat across from the table. Kris just sighed, as two patrol officers came to take Rob away. As Rob was forced out of the room, Luhan and Lay walked in to congratulate Kris on another perp caught.

 

"Good job Kris! Another perp caught!" Kris just smirked at both men, gathering his stuff and walking out with both men. Luhan was sipping on another drink, probably Taro bubble tea, causing Kris and Lay to smirk.

 

"So Luhan, did you get that drink yourself? Or is Sehun now your personal errand boy?" Kris teased Luhan, causing the said boy to blush and Lay to laugh at Luhan's misfortune. 

 

"Shut up Kris! I got this myself! Believe it or not, Sehun usually gives me drinks because he wants to! I only ask at MOST once every two weeks!" Luhan defended himself, while Lay and Luhan just rolled their eyes. 

 

Everyone knew something was going on between the maknae and the DNA expert, but no one knew just what was going on exactly. Sometimes they seemed to be together, and other times they seemed to be just really good friends. The entire station, not just the 2nd Division, was confused. People were curious, but not enough to actually ask about the situation. Luhan was scary when asked, and NO ONE wanted to deal with a scary Luhan. So it still remains a mystery......for now.

 

"So Kris, Luhan and I were about to go get some lunch. Do you want to come with us?" Lay asked. Unfortunately, Kris shook his head.

 

"Can't, I have to finish writing up this report, so I can start on something new, or take a little break. So I'm going to leave you non-busy people with stuffing your faces, and getting fatter." Kris smirked at the two, and ran away back to the 2nd Division office. Lay looked after Kris as he was running, having to catch up with Luhan as he had already walked out of the station.

 

"So Lay, are you feeling traditional, or something out of Korea?" Luhan asked, with Lay not really caring, so Luhan had all of the power to choose what they ate. 

 

"Okay then, traditional! I really want some jajangmyeon!" Luhan said, somewhat skipping ahead of Lay, the latter chuckling softly at the older man. For someone who wanted to be seen as manly, he really had some girlish tendencies. Excluding his facial structure, everyone knows Luhan has a girly face.

 

As the pair were waiting to order their food, they heard an alert of their walkie talkies. Luhan was faster, so he put the device up to his ear. 

 

"Alert, suspect has escaped police custody! Has long, stringy brown hair, thick beard, beady black eyes, and wrinkled skin. Wanted for nearly kidnapping a child, and his name is Rob. If someone finds him, please bring him back to the police station!" Then static was heard, signaling the end of the message.

 

"They're looking for the guy Kris just arrested today, right?" Lay asked Luhan. The said man, who looked disappointed in missing lunch, nodded. Then, Lay nudged Luhan and pointed across the street. Luhan looked up to see, none other than Rob, looking like a mad-man. Luhan sighed again, nodding to Lay. Both men walked out, and once they were out of the store, Lay and Luhan shouted at the top of their lungs a phrase that would send anyone running.

 

"Stop, Police! You're under arrest!"

 

Rob's head turned, and his eyes instantly widened at the two men glaring at him. He instantly started running, with Lay and Luhan hot on his tail. Lay or Luhan would've liked to turn the other way and catch Rob off guard, but that wouldn't work with the huge crowd and many different directions to run. Both men hadn't chased down a suspect in a while, and it was showing when Rob started gaining ground. It was then, when Luhan made a decision. It wasn't his smartest decision, but it needed to be done if they were going to bring Rob to justice.

 

"Someone stop that man!!! He's wanted by the police!!!"

 

In that moment, fates intertwined, never to be broken, for as long as they all lived...


Well, this is a little late...sorry about that!!! At least I finally finished it. Jeez, this took a while.

I knew what was going to happen, but the chapter just got longer...and longer......and longer..........until I had this. SO. MANY. WORDS. This is very long for me. 

I hope all of my lovely readers enjoyed the chapter!!! Free candy, for all the wonderful readers!!! *Throws candy at all of your heads*

And to my new subscribers from last chapter, welcome!!! I already sent you all a message on your profile, but I want to give you free brownies this time. So, here. *Throws brownies*

Now, it's about 2 o'clock in the morning where I live now, on a Saturday/Sunday. It's technically Sunday, but it feels like Saturday. I tell you guys this so you don't get confused at my mini minilogues about my life, and wonder if I'm on crack because my time and your time are totally different. Plus, drugs are bad. Don't do drugs. (This is how you know I'm super tired, I get really off topic). It'll be Sunday when I update. So no one is confused about this little paragraph here.

I changed the format a little. I added more space between each paragraph. Do you guys like it? Or do you like the old format better? It helps to know which style you guys want.

So, now I'm going to ask that people who like the story subscribe and upvote!!! And if you have time, please comment!!! I love getting comments from lovely reader people.

Well, I'm going to get some sleep. Until next time!!!

~~~~~~~bubble1765 <3