An Engagement Party

Freedom To Love

'Eric, let's meet up!' Minwoo said when Eric picked up the phone.

'Yeah, sure! I have no other plans to do' Eric agreed to the meeting.

'Okay then, let's meet at the usual place alright' 

'Alright. I'll be there in 10 minutes' Eric said before hung up.

After changing his clothes, he came down while whistling happily. But before he could proceeded to the basement, his mum called him. 

'Eric!' 

'Yes, mum?' Eric looked at her and saw a bunch of envelopes in her hands.

'Here you go' her mum gave them to him.

'What's this?' he raised his eyebrows.

'This is your invitation party. Give these to all those who you want to invite okay' she smiled.

'What party?' he raised his eyebrows. He knew that he had a bad feeling about it.

'Your engagement party!' she said excitedly.

Eric gripped the envelopes tightly. How many times does he have to tell them that he won't get marry to that girl?! Is it that hard to understand?!

'Whatever' he hissed under his breath and went to his car to meet Minwoo.

(At their usual hangout place)

When Minwoo saw Eric walked into the shop, he knew something was wrong so he didn't say anything. Eric sat down and immediately handed him the envelope.

'What's this?' Minwoo frowned when Eric handed him an envelope.

'An invitation' Eric replied shortly and sipped his iced coffee which Minwoo ordered for him earlier.

Minwoo opened the envelope and read it. He frowned more when it stated 'An Invitation Party' 

'What invitation?'

'More to engagement party' Eric sighed.

'Who's going to get engage?' 

'Me. And oh, Dongwan is welcomed too' Eric mentioned Minwoo's boyfriend.

'WHAT?! I thought you don't want to get married to that girl!' Minwoo yelled.

'Woah, calm down dude' 

Eric was surprised by Minwoo's sudden outburst.

'I don't but my parents kept forcing me. You know how they are' he casually said.

'But, how can you be so relax about this?'

'Trust me when I said I'm trying my best not to explode' he sighed. 

'So, you're finally becoming a married man huh' Minwoo sighed and stared at the envelope.

'Only for awhile. I'll get a divorce after a month maybe'

'Excuse me??' Minwoo sounded astonished.

'That's the furthest I can do for them. If they don't listen, they are exceeding my limit of patient' 

'But, what about Hyesung?' Minwoo suddenly asked. 

Eric stopped drinking and stared at Minwoo.

'What about him?' Eric tried to manage his coolness.

'Come on, Eric. I'm not dumb. And I'm sure as hell you're not too'

'What do you mean?' 

'I know that you like him. You don't even bother to tell me because I know' 

'I didn't tell you because I don't like him'

'Then, why are you with him 24/7? Calling him almost everyday? Take care of him even though he has his mother who can do it? Luckily, you aren't the type who would abandon your friends when you met someone new' Minwoo interrogated.

'It's because I like to be friends with him. He's cute and funny'

'Guys don't call other guys cute, Eric'

'You call me cute!' Eric defended.

Minwoo could just sighed. He couldn't blame Eric though, because the older guy was just in denial.

'When are you going to tell him?' 

I don't know if I have the courage to tell him.

'I don't know, later maybe' he shrugged his shoulder.

After talking for hours, Eric decided that he should get going. During those hours, Eric felt the need to tell Hyesung about this.

'I have to go now, it's nearly 5' Eric finished his drink and stood up after doing his usual handshake with Minwoo.

'See you this weekend then' Minwoo smiled weakly.

'Yeah' Eric could only sighed.

(Hyesung's house)

'Hyesung, I want to tell you something' Eric said seriously while having their snacks in Hyesung's room. While eating, they played video games.

'Hmm?' Hyesung said while munching.

'I'm going to get marry' Eric dropped the bomb.

He expected Hyesung to stop munching and looked at him with a shocking face. But instead, his face lit up like a bright diamond. Eric couldn't help but to feel stunned by Hyesung's casual behaviour.

'Really? With who?' Hyesung asked happily.

'The girl that you met at Apgujeong ' 

'Hmm? Which one?' Hyesung titled his head.

'The one... That you called beautiful'

'Oh, Jimin! She is beautiful' Hyesung nodded in agreement.

Not as beautiful as you.

'I'm going to marry her' Eric said again straight to the point.

'So, does that mean you're going to have kids?' 

Eric nodded.

'Would you leave me when you get married?'

'I would never' he said seriously.

Hyesung grinned widely and said, 'Okay then. If like that, you can marry her' before continued munching.

'Y-You don't want to say anything?' Eric tried asking.

'Say what?' Hyesung looked at him.

'I don't know. Anything, I guess' 

'Nope! I'm just happy for you!' Hyesung smiled.

At that moment, Eric was totally annoyed.

'Why don't you say something about it?! Don't you feel anything when I told you I'm going to get married?! I can't believe this! I thought that we have something between us... Something more than friends' Eric unloaded his frustrations and unconsciously scolded Hyesung.

'Are you mad?' Hyesung asked slowly.

'Of course, I am!' Eric yelled.

When he realised what he had done, he got up and walked out the room.

'Where are you going?' Hyesung followed him.

'Home. I need some time to think' Eric said angrily.

Hyesung could just nodded his head as he knew that he just made Eric mad.

'Bye bye' he said sadly.

(Engagement Day)

Ever since the day Eric and Hyesung fought, Eric didn't call him at all. He only talked to his mother, not about Hyesung but about his engagement. 

'Hello, aunty' Eric greeted.

'Ah, Eric! What's the matter?' Mrs Shin asked. 

'Nothing. Hmm...'

'What's wrong, Eric? Is everything alright?'

'I'm... Going to get married' Eric stuttered.

It was silence.

'Congratulations, Eric-ah! I wish you all the best' she said happily.

'T-Thank you, aunty' Eric said weakly.

'Why, Eric? Why you don't sound happy?' 

'I don't know, maybe because I'm not'

Even though Eric couldn't see Mrs Shin expression, she was smiling weakly.

'Maybe you'll learn to love her one day'

'Hmmm' Eric replied, doubting that he could.

His mother didn't say anything, she just wished Eric all the best and congratulated him. She sounded really happy for him even though she knew what was in his mind. But the handsome guy was just too stubborn to admit.

On the engagement party, everyone has gathered. Both from Eric's side and Jimin's side. Both Minwoo and Erica approached Eric when they saw the handsome guy who was sitting alone at the bar. Too lazy and doesn't have the mood to mingle around. Actually, they haven't announced about the engagement yet because Eric's parents wanted to make it as a surprise.

'Hey, are you ready?' Erica asked.

'That's not what matters right now. Like it or not, I'm here now' Eric remarked.

'You know you can get out from here now right' Minwoo patted his back softly.

'And then what?' Eric looked at them.

'Stop being in denial, Eric-ah. Can't you see who you truly love?' Minwoo remarked and looked at Erica to make her continued.

'Enough of letting mum and dad controlled you. For once. Just for once. Please be happy for yourself. I don't want to see you hurt and regret, baby brother' Erica hugged him and there was some tears in the corner of her eyes.

'Thank you, sis. But for now, I'll just follow mum and dad. I had my plans planned' Eric smiled but the smile was too fake.

'Alright then, we'll leave you alone now' Erica said.

'Just because one is looking at the world from a different perspective, doesn't mean one cannot feel and understand the meaning of love' Minwoo patted his back and was hoping that Eric could understand his true meaning.

They didn't dare to bring up Hyesung's name, so they let Eric alone for him to think thoroughly. Eric took out his phone and scroll through his camera rolls. Surprisingly, there were a lot of photos of him and Hyesung, but mostly of Hyesung's pictures. The face when he was sad, when he was sulking when Eric , when he grinned widely when Eric praised him. Eric sighed for the hundredth times.

Hyesung, is this the right choice? Why did you look so calm and relax? Don't you love me?

Eric's thoughts have been cut off when the MC of the party announced Eric up to the stage. Everyone was looking at him and with a heavy heart, he walked to the stage.

'Good evening to those who can make it to this party' Eric started with his usual greetings.

'My name is Eric Mun and I'm the CEO of Mun Co. Thank you for coming because I have an announcement to make'

It took him awhile to continue as he was using the time to stare at those significant people in his life.

When he looked at his parents, they gestured him to tell other people quickly. They didn't look proud, instead they look excited.

When he looked at his grandmother, he sensed that she knew that this wasn't what Eric wanted. He met up with his grandmother but he didn't tell her about his engagement and Hyesung because he wasn't ready and didn't know what to do.

When he looked at Jimin, she blinked her eyes prettily. Maybe too excited about her engagement. Every time Eric looked at her, he felt pity because he knew he wouldn't be able to give her love that she wanted.

When he looked at Minwoo and Erica, he saw that no matter what was going to happen, they would still support him. Looking at Erica and Jake made him jealous because they had the love that he always wanted. Looking at Minwoo made him jealous even more. People were judging him and Dongwan for being gay but they still managed to stay strong and steady.

That evening, Eric didn't know if he had gone crazy or not but he saw Hyesung's figure. The expression on Hyesung's face was pure sadness but he still managed to give an encouraging smile. Then, he slowly faded away before mouthing I Love You.

Then, a moment of realisation hit Eric. 

What if Hyesung was really hurt when he told him about the engagement? But he just didn't know how to express them? At this point, Eric was sure that he love Hyesung more than a brother and a friend. 

What he was going to say had made people shocked, 'I'm sorry but I cannot do this anymore. I need my own freedom and I'm going to get it now' he said confidentially. 

Eric ran out from the party and straight went to his car to drive to Hyesung's house. He didn't realised the happy looks on Erica's and Minwoo's face.

He expected that Mrs Shin would scolded him for making Hyesung hurt or how he would confess to Hyesung. But what he didn't expect the most is a sign in front of Hyesung's now empty house 'House for sale'.

It was as if there was never been anyone staying there. Eric ran to the restaurant and it was closed down. For good, as it also said 'Place for rent'. 

What the hell is happening? Hyesungie, where are you?

Eric took out his phone and dialled a familiar number.

'Sorry, but the person that you're calling is not reachable. Please try again later...' 

Eric said again but the response was still the same. He felt that his head was spinning. To make it worst, his body couldn't support him any longer and he fell onto the ground. He didn't cry but at one moment, he thought that someone ripped off his heart that it hurt so much.

But he didn't want to give up. He felt like all this was a prank for not realising his love for Hyesung. He searched for the younger guy every place they've been together but the guy just disappeared just like that.

After hours of searching, Eric wanted to think that he was just dreaming and needed a drink to wake up. So, he drove to Minwoo's club.

'Mr Mun, the boss isn't here. He took an off-day' the bartender said. He knew that Eric is friends with Minwoo as he worked for the guy for 1 year now.

'I know. Just give me beer' 

'Oh ok' he nodded with confusion.

Eric kept drinking and drinking, hoping that he could fall asleep and woke up next morning with Hyesung saying it was all a joke. Every time he finished his beer, he asked for more and got angry at the bartender when he said he drank too much. Worried about Eric's condition, the bartender called Minwoo.

'Boss!' 

'What is it, Han?' 

'Mr Eric Mun is here and hmm... You can tell that he looks like a mess. He kept mumbling a person's name and all' the bartender explained.

'What?! Alright, I'll be right there' Minwoo said.

He was still with Erica talking about how Eric finally had his own happy ending. But when he received the previous call, he knew something bad happened.

'Erica, I have to go now. I think something happened to Eric'

'What? Where is he now?' Erica asked with concern.

'My club. Don't worry, I'll take care of him. If anything, I'll text you' Minwoo said.

'Okay' she nodded.

(At Minwoo's club)

Once Minwoo stepped inside the club, Han quickly ran to him.

'Where is he?' Minwoo asked.

'There!' he pointed.

Minwoo walked to Eric who was already fall asleep and he could smell reeks of alcohol from Eric's mouth. When Minwoo saw the bottles of beers on the table, he was beyond shocked. Eric had never been the type of who drinks a lot as he knew his limit. 

'Help me carry him' Minwoo gestured and they both help to carry Eric into Minwoo's car.

'Thanks, Han for looking out for him' Minwoo thanked Han.

'No problem, boss. I hope he'll be fine. He kept saying someone's name called Hyesung and said that how can the person leave him alone' Han explained.

Hyesung?

'Oh okay, thanks'

(Inside the car)

'What the hell is going on, Eric? Why were you in my club?' Minwoo mumbled.

He looked at Eric who was sleeping soundly at the passenger's seat. Minwoo noticed a glimpse of tears at the corner of Eric's eyes.

After parking his car at the basement, Minwoo used all his strength to carry the older guy.

'Geez, you're so damn heavy Eric. You need to start working out' Minwoo groaned in annoyance.

Knock... Knock... Knock...

'Yes?' Dongwan opened the door.

'Hi, babe. Can you help me please?' Minwoo said awkwardly, he looked like he was about to faint.

'Yes yes, sure' 

Together with Dongwan, Minwoo and him carried Eric into the guest's room. After changing Eric's clothes into something more comfortable, the Woodong couple can finally sighed in relieved. 

'What happened?' Dongwan asked.

Right that moment, Minwoo and Dongwan were sitting on the floor as they were too lazy to move. Handling a drunk Eric is so much harder than handling a whining baby.

'I wish I knew'

'I thought that you were from Eric's engagement party' Dongwan asked curiously. 

He was supposed to follow Minwoo but he couldn't as he hadn't settled his work at the firm.

'Eric realised his love for Hyesung and ditched the party'

'Seriously?! His parents would be so pissed'

'You don't even want to talk about that. Their faces were so red, trying to hide their anger and embarrassment. The girl froze at her spot and started crying. But the good thing was, no one knew that it was actually an engagement party' Minwoo told the story.

'Then?' Dongwan asked him to continue.

'Then, we didn't know what happen. I just got a call from Han about Eric being at the club and I arrived, he already fell asleep' 

'Let's just give him some space and he'll tell us tomorrow' Dongwan suggested.

'Alright' Minwoo nodded.

'Goodnight, Eric' Minwoo said before closing the door.

'Goodnight, Hyesungie' he mumbled.

Minwoo and Dongwan looked at each other and sighed. Whatever happened must've been so bad.