forever

my friend mr. fox
Please log in to read the full chapter

29

FOREVER

 

Waiting has never really been one of Gongchan's favorite things, yet somehow he always ends up doing it. Always waiting for something to happen. Waiting for things to be over. Now, he's waiting for Jinyoung.

Outside the school gates, the warm summer breeze passes by in soft waves, passing through his hair and pushing it back ever so gently. The sun is out, fully shining, and the clouds are white and puffy, soaring about in the deep blue sky. There's not a lot of students outside anymore, with the exception of a few who were either also waiting or just hanging out -- although Gongchan doesn't understand why anyone would do that.

Gongchan looks down at his phone to check the time; it's 11:30 AM.

Jinyoung should be done by now, he thinks.

He rests his head against the stone wall.

Just then, he feels a hand patting the top of his head and fingers running into his soft black locks. Instinctively, he leans back and let's out a smile.

"All done?" Gongchan says. He opens his eyes to see Jinyoung's own brown ones looking straight at him.

"Yeah, all done," Jinyoung says, smiling.

They begin to walk along the sidewalk, side by side, with their hands brushing slightly every now and then.

"What does it feel like to be free?" Gongchan says.

"Great," Jinyoung says. "Finally, no more school."

"For now," Gongchan says, and gently pushes Jinyoung to the side.

"Yeah, for now." Jinyoung smiles. "How'd that math test go anyway?"

Gongchan visibly flinches and says, "I think it went... well."

"Well? As in actually well or more like 'I failed' sort of well."

"Both."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"Shut up," Gongchan grumbles, "Let's go. I'm hungry."

Jinyoung chuckles, but nods in understanding. It's just about lunch time anyway.

They stay quiet for a while, mostly because Gongchan has always argued that talking just makes you hungrier, and also becuase they sometimes enjoy the silence more than their own voices.

"One more year left," Jinyoung says, breaking the silence.

Gongchan hums.

One more year, and then it'll all be over, he thinks.

He doesn't want to believe that. He probably shouldn't believe that. But there's always this thought, this voice at the back of his mind, whispering to him, telling him that this reality isn't true. That Jinyoung would leave him. That he'd be alone.

Suddenly, Jinyoung holds his hand and interlaces their fingers, and Gongchan stops breathing for a second. A blush makes its way to his cheeks, and he has to look away in hope that Jinyoung doesn't see.

They've held hands multiple times before, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily used to it.

"Stop overthinking," Jinyoung says. "Whatever it is, it's not true."

Gongchan stares at him, his mouth slightly agape.

"What?" Jinyoung asks, and stops walking. He lets go of Gongchan's hand in order to face him.

"How did you--"

"You tensed up," Jinyoung interjects, and then he starts rubbing the back of his neck.

"Sorry," Gongchan says. He looks down at his shoes. They need to be washed.

"Just trust me, please," Jinyoung says.

"Fine."

 

--

 

They end up going to a cafe near school, where they also serve lunch and breakfast instead of just coffee and desserts. From the interior, Gongchan can tell it's more expensive than your usual fast food place. It's modern with dark brown leather seats, and various light fixtures in an industrial style; the tables are all glass, and the walls a rustic brown brick. It's a rather nice place to go to.

After they order their food, Jinyoung leads him towards a booth in the corner of the cafe, where it's more secluded. Gongchan can't help but feel nervous. He twirls his fingers in his lap, and sometimes pulls at the creases in his jeans. Anything, as long as it takes his mind of things.

"It's a cool place," Gongchan says, sitting on his hands.

Jinyoung nods.

He seems out of it, Gongchan notes.

Jinyoung has changed over the past year; he seems older, and more mature. His hair is longer, and falls just above his eyes even when it's styled to the side. His face is slimmer, more sharp and angular than it had been in past years. His eyes are somehow more beautiful now that Gongchan has had the chance to stare at them more. They're still brown, but every now and then they shine slightly amber, and they seem more fox-like, unsurprisingly.

A waiter arrives at their table and places down their orders, and says the usual "enjoy your meal," thing. They both thank them, and then begin to eat.

The food tastes heavenly, and Gongchan wonders why he's never been here before. It's amazing how even they made even a sandwhich taste ten times better.

"Have you been here before?" Gongchan asks.

Please log in to read the full chapter