promise

my friend mr. fox
Please log in to read the full chapter

28

PROMISE

 

Sunwoo is waiting for Gongchan to arrive at the school gates, just like he has been the past few days, ever since Gongchan told him that Jinyoung was going to leave. To say that his best friend was hurt was an understatement. Gongchan had never been the same since the fight with Jinyoung, and Sunwoo knew that he probably never would be. At least, not until things were fixed between them. The only thing Sunwoo could do now was be of moral support to Gongchan.

He checked his phone to see the time. School would be starting in 10 minutes, and there was still no sign of Gongchan. He began to worry. He checked both sides of the sidewalk to see if he could spot Gongchan, and he was about to give up when he saw him. His mouth fell wide open.

Gongchan is walking alongside Jinyoung, with a huge smile on his face. Sunwoo doesn't remember how long it has been since he's seen Gongchan that happy. Jinyoung is also smiling, but it's much less obvious, since only the corner of his lips are curved upwards. Still, he can tell that they're both content. That only meant one thing.

Everything is okay between them.

Sunwoo waves at Gongchan excitedly once they came closer. Gongchan seems shy once he realizes Sunwoo has been looking at them.

"The bell's about to ring," Sunwoo says.

Gongchan seems to be relieved that he didn't mention anything about them. Jinyoung seems indifferent.

Sunwoo smiles.

His friend is okay, and that's all that matters.

He'll get the details later.

 

--

 

"Is Jinyoung still leaving?" Sunwoo asks him at lunch.

Gongchan stops chewing his sandwhich and shakes his head.

"I don't really know anymore," he sighs. Jinyoung hasn't said anything all morning. Perhaps he wasn't leaving anymore, but there was only one way Gongchan would find out. "But I don't wanna ask."

"So you're just gonna sit with me then?" Sunwoo says.

Gongchan nods. "Yeah, 'cause you don't have any friends."

"Rude," Sunwoo replies.

Gongchan smiles.

They quickly finish their lunch with casual chit-chat in between, and then make their way outside, where they'd always hang out.

"But really," Sunwoo says, "how are things between you and Jinyoung?"

"Everything is a jumbled mess, really, but I guess it's still okay," Gongchan says. He looks up at the clouds. "Everything seems to be back to normal, but I can't really say it has. It's kinda awkward, but at the same time, I'm happy."

Sunwoo nods in understanding.

Gongchan turns to look at him, "How about you and Junghwan?"

"Ahh, that," Sunwoo sighs, and rubs the back of his neck, "well, it didn't end that well. I mean, he said he liked me too, but his g

Please log in to read the full chapter