♒8♒

The Illegitimate Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]♒ Dinglehopper and Broccoli ♒[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

Today was another busy day, and not just for the King, but also the Queen of the costal land. Unfortunately for Ulla, that left her alone until dinner. She wouldn’t just sit bored in her room though, no, she only had so much time left on land and she wouldn’t waste it. Not that she’d actually go into the town either; she was still slightly terrified of that old man and the guard. Even though she was Ariel’s sister and they weren’t exactly hiding the fact, they weren’t broadcasting it either and Ulla really didn’t want another episode like before.

So instead, she found herself wandering the halls of the castle bored. She could always go outside and play on the tennis courts she knew they had, but she wasn’t sure what tennis was or how to play it. Then there was the stairs that led to the beach. She really did miss the sea, and she would love to at least sit near it, but she was paranoid her mother would be there.

Ulla passed window after window down hall after hall. Sometimes she saw the sea, others the city, and always a part of the castle grounds. Each window was a new scene, a new part of life, a new future to be had, and they were all beautiful.

She passed another window, but this one didn’t peak into the outside world, but into another room. Ulla paused, placing a hand on the glass door. Inside Joon was busy cleaning up. There must have been some kind of meeting or lunch recently as tea cups and trays of half eaten treats were set out.

Joon was alone and working quietly as he placed the dishes and trash onto a tray, wiping surfaces down after. Intrigued by his diligent work and a familiar face, Ulla quietly entered the room.

“Is this your job?” she asked. Joon yelped in surprise, almost dropping his tray of dishes if Ulla hadn’t rushed forward. “I’m so sorry,” she reddened. The male only shook his head, adjusting the tray for better handling.  “Don’t worry about it, I was off in my own head,” he said.

“What are you doing here anyway?” Joon wondered. Ulla shrugged, “I was just walking by and I saw you.”  The two of them lapsed into an awkward silence.

“Well I should probably take this back to the kitchens,” he murmured, making a move to pass her. Ulla nodded and moved out of the way, but when he exited the room she followed. He glanced back at her now and again, but said nothing so neither did she.

It wasn’t until they reached the double doors to the kitchen that Joon stopped and her with suspicion in his eyes. “Why are you following me?” he questioned. Bashful, Ulla shrugged, “Why not?”

“Will I get in trouble if I follow you?” she asked. Joon shrugged.

“Will you get in trouble if I follow you?” she wondered. Again, Joon shrugged.

“Do you want me to go away?” she questioned, giving him big unsure eyes. Joon gulped, but again shrugged. Ulla smiled.

“I’ve never seen a kitchen before,” she admitted as she followed the male into the intriguing room. Joon gave her a weird look over her shoulder, but didn’t question her. Instead he answered her earlier question, “Cleaning up is a part of my job, especially if I was the one that served the food. Mostly I stay in here though; prepping and preparing meals.” 

Ulla nodded, taking the time to inspect her surroundings rather than reply. Like most rooms in the castle, it was wide with windows that opened to the salty air. In the middle sat a large granite counter with rows of pots above. Along one wall were rows of counters with racks of boards, dishes, and utensils. On another wall were stoves and ovens a like with a dish sink stuffed in the very corner, and off to the side was a large metal contraception.

Intrigued, Ulla fiddled with the handle of the contraception that was set into the wall. “What is this,” she wondered aloud, turning to Joon. The male was busy washing the dishes he brought in, sleeves rolled up and forearms sudsy. He glanced at the girl, his fringe blocking his view momentary until he blew them out of the way. “It’s a fridge, to keep meat and produce cool.”  Pursing her lips, Ulla opened the door of said fridge, but immediately shut it again when a burst of frigid air wafted out. She shivered, and quickly stepped away. Joon only chuckled and went back to his task.

“Where is everyone,” she asked, pacing the room. It was surprisingly empty of staff. She would have thought it would always be busy and full of chatter; then again, she knew nothing of being a chef or working in a kitchen.

Wiping off the last of the dishes, Joon shrugged. “They’re probably at lunch. I was attending to the Queen’s lunch meeting while the other kitchen staff would have been preparing their own meals. I can see they didn’t save me anything,” he pouted looking around the room.

Ulla chuckled, patting him on the back when she reached him. “Well don’t feel so bad, I haven’t had lunch either. We can be hungry together.”  “You haven’t?”  Joon asked in surprise, “Why not? Did your attending ladies not tell you the servers were bringing your supper to your balcony? The Queen organized it and I helped prepare the food.”  Blinking, Ulla shook her head. “I’ve been wandering the halls all morning, I haven’t seen my ladies.” 

“Well that just won’t do!” a raucous laugh sounded. Both Joon and Ulla jumped and turned to find Chef Louis and a few other staff come through a side door, dirty plates in hand.

The round chef dumped his dishes in the sink, slightly splashing Joon in the process. “Sorry son,” he patted the much smaller male on the shoulder. Joon stumbled a bit, but smiled anyway. “How was your lunch Chef? Good I hope.” The chef laughed again, a vibrating sound that even Ulla could feel through her soles. “Why yes I did, but I know you’ll have an even better one!” Confused, Joon glanced at some of the other staff that were now milling about in preparation for dinner, but they only shrugged and went back to work.

“What do you mean?” he asked, causing the Chef to laugh again. Ulla was beginning to think the Chef’s stomach was so full because it was filled with laughter.

Grinning from ear to ear, Chef led Joon over to a lonely looking Ulla. “Well,” he started, “Since neither your or her Lady here have had any lunch, I suppose you’ll just have to cook something for the both of you. No use eating alone right?”  He look

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter