♒11♒

The Illegitimate Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]♒ Fireworks ♒[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

The grotto filled with thick, purple miasma, and the scent of sea cumber oil.

Glut once again forced himself as far into a corner as he could. He had to warn Ulla, but the only way out was blocked by the foaming cauldron Ursula was bent over.

The sea witch grinned as she threw this and that in her cauldron. Then, turning a page in the thick book next to her, she grinned wider and began to wave her hands slowly over the purple mixture.

“From the sea I come

Twelve hours is all I need

Thy fin turn to legs”

As the last of Ursula’s spell fell from her lips, a great explosion doused the room in a lilac glow. Foam seeped over the cauldrons edge and surrounded her.

Soon a mix of maniacal laughter and shrill screams erupted, and Glut hid farther in his corner. I have to tell Ulla, he thought again.

 

Ulla woke with a start. She sat straight up in bed, eyes groggy, but heart palpitating. Loud screams and panicked voices could be heard from the other side of her door.

Slowly, Ulla got out of bed, unconsciously putting on her fluffy pink slippers. Carefully, she slipped on her over robe and approached her door. Now she could her running, but most of the voices had faded to almost nothing. Another scream rang out and Ulla jumped in surprise.

Not wasting anymore time, she yanked the door open, scaring the sous chef in the process. The man clutched tightly to the slightly shaking tray in his hands. “You scared me young miss,” he said breathless.

“Sorry,” Ulla apologized. “What’s happening,” she asked next.

The man smiled softly at her, “Don’t worry too much. In fact, why don’t you go outside to the east balcony. Most of the staff is there, and the fireworks show should be beginning soon.” He then took his tray with a tea cup, tea pot, and newspaper and walked away, toward another scream.

Unsure, but trusting him, Ulla clutched her robe tighter, and shuffled toward the direction he mentioned.

It wasn’t long until she joined a multitude of staff, and guards on the wide veranda that was the east balcony. She made her way to the center of the crowd and stared toward the city that glittered in the afternoon light.

Before she could question anyone, a burst shot through the sky and a multitude of colors flowered then fell back down into the city. Ulla’s eyes widened in wonder and awe. Was that what a firework was? It was beautiful.

Not taking her eyes away from the now nonstop light show, Ulla gently tugged the sleeve of whoever was next to her. “Why are they doing this?”

“Don’t you know?” a light, feminine voice guffawed, “it’s the celebration of the new heir!” The woman then moved away to getter a better look.

New heir? Ulla thought to herself. What did she mean

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter