♒ 3 ♒

The Illegitimate Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]♒ Fanfare ♒[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

She swam and swam, ignoring Glut who followed at her fin, all she could think of us was getting as far away from both her mother and father as she could get. With her mother, Ulla felt smothered and chained down. With her father, she felt unloved and unwanted.

She wanted to get away from them, so she swam fast and hard. She swam so far that she began to pant with the excursion. Finally, in the middle of who knows where, she stopped, causing Glut to pass her by yards before realizing and turning back.

The great white stared at her with his beady black eyes and wondered if he should ask what was wrong or let her be like Ursula would like if it were her.

For Ulla however, she did not see the shark in front of her. All she saw was the vast ocean, her mind wandering to its many crevices. While her mother’s domain staid to the darkest corner of Atlantica, and her father to his Kingdom that spans the Northern part of the Atlantic Ocean, the seven seas, despite the other Kings and Queens that reside, belongs first and fore most to her grandfather, Poseidon. So in reality, no matter how far she went, as long as she was within the boundaries of the sea, she could be found.

Ulla did not want to be found.

Knowing this, one name came to mind: Ariel.

 

Lee Joon sat in the homely coffee shop; night had fallen and the ocean air had come up to cool the small Coastal Kingdom.  He smiled as took a sip of his chocolate chai; it was a new commodity in this country, and a bit pricey but he figured one memory from his homeland wouldn’t hurt.

As he sipped, a bell tinkled, expressing the entry of another patron. Lee Joon glanced to door seeing a tall figure with broad shoulders and a face shrouded by a dark brown cloak head toward the counter. He didn’t let his gaze linger too long though; he wasn’t the type to be intrusive.

Still, he couldn’t stop from eavesdropping. He had nothing better to do after all, so why not listen in on the strangers order. Lee Joon always found it fascinating to learn about other people’s tastes, preferences, and thoughts on delicacies.

He listened as the stranger mumbled to himself about the choices. After a minute of still not placing an order, the teenage boy on the other side of the counter joked, “Good sir, I don’t believe the sea’s falling from the sky nor has it frozen over. Why not remove the hood so I can clearly see your face. It makes it easier for me to suggest something if I can see your face. I’m good at reading people like that.” The hooded man chuckled awkwardly, but declined. “I have bad eyes you see. Your café is bright, and it makes it hard on me.”

It was a valid reason, even it was a lie. The teen may be good at reading people, but Lee Joon was better at reading between the lines. There was also something familiar about the voice that made the man’s words sound untrue.

“My wife is with child,” the stranger continued, “and she’s craving something sweet and spicy. I’ve been told your shop offers an array of such choices.”

The teen began to relay the ample list of items with such a description, but two specific items came to Lee Joon’s mind. “Dutch chocolate cake and a chai tea.” He turned in his seat after and looked up at the man that was now staring at him. Lee Joon couldn’t see past the shadows of the hood, but he smiled broadly anyway. “This place is famous for that cake,” he explained, “and I personally love that tea. It’s got the spice I think you’re looking for.” A moment passed before the male gave a slow nodded then ordered two of both the delicacies.

As the teen prepared the man’s order, Lee Joon stood after making sure his table was clean of spills. He grabbed his backpack and waved at the workers whom he was fairly familiar with. He went out into the crisp night air, but was stopped under the awning. It turns out the sea was falling.

Lee Joon sighed and hugged his thin shirt closer. The rain was falling lightly, but he could tell by the blackened sky it was going to get worse and fast.

He heard the tinkle of the shops bell again, and saw the hooded man from over his shoulder. Giving him a smile and a nod he said, “I guess you have good reason for wearing that cape after all.” The stranger paused, the small bag in his hand rustling softly. “I suppose so. Thank you for your suggestion by the way. I’m sure my wife will enjoy them. I should actually be getting back to her; I’ve been out too long. You be safe getting home.” Lee Joon nodded at this and looked to his shoes. “Home? What’s that?”

He meant his words to be heard only by him, but the man being so close, stayed in place, asking, “Excuse me?” Lee Joon smiled halfheartedly at his scuffed black loafers. “Sorry,” he mumbled, “I don’t mean to push my troubles on you. I’m just having a bad day.” “Bad day?” the man chuckled, “It can’t be so bad if you can smile so much; even inside you smiled at me when telling me about the sweets; neither of those things you had to do. I’m sure your just b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter