♒16♒

The Illegitimate Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]♒ Bed Time ♒[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

There were drapes of the finest silks, sweets of all colors and flavors, and the most brilliant of place settings. It was all so beautiful, and Olivia felt as if she was in a dream. But what really made it feel surreal was the fact that perched so regally across from her was the King whose shoulders were even broader up close; the Queen whose smile shined brighter than the tea set placed to her right; and the chubby cheeked infant in her arms whose tuft of hair poked out of her blankets like the thick of night.

How did she get here? She asked that very question of her hosts.

The King laughed, glimpsing the girl with a similar startling smile to that of his wife’s. “Well,” he started, “a very good friend we have in common has recommended you for the position of kitchen aid. We recently lost an employee and have heard you make the best breads in the entire kingdom.”

Olivia blushed at the compliment, looking away and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “I don’t know about that your majesties, but…I’d be more than honored to work for you. Especially now that the princess is here.” She looked back at the pair, giving the Queen a timid smile. “I’ve actually been experimenting with bread pudding; something light enough for toddlers to eat.”

Ariel chuckled, bouncing her bundle, “We still have a while until then, but I’d love to try some.”

 

It was the first time Ulla was ever invited to tour Atlantica so freely. She and Joon enjoyed its many sites and oddities shown by a very small and very bold crab with a funny accent.

The trio received many stares as they explored, but Ulla knew it was her everyone was really looking at. After all, the crab was her father’s trusted advisor, and Joon, while new to being Mer, was in fact full Mer and looked for the most part like anyone else in the kingdom. She, however, with her unique dark tail whose scales rode all the way over her bosom, stood out exponentially.

No one could quite place her as Octopid, and surely no one knew who her mother was, but they all knew she was the oddest thing in Atlantica at the moment. People could not help but stare, even if they meant no harm by it, and Ulla who was used to living in recluse, found it very uncomfortable.

“And here is where you’ll be dining with the King,” the little crab said, leading them into a private section of a very nice looking restaurant.

Playing with the starfish shaped lava rock in her hair; Ulla nervously entered the private room. She took the first seat she saw, across from her bulk of a father, and Joon sat to her right; the crab excused himself.

“How was everything my daughter?” Trident boomed happily.

Both Ulla and Joon jumped, startled, and then settled awkwardly. “Great…father,” Ulla replied softly, “but…why did you ask us here? We may be in a private room, but this restaurant is very public. We pass a lot of Mer on the way in here.”

The King laughed loudly, shaking the table slightly, and almost scaring the living wits out of a matradee that was bring in food. “Can I not have a meal with the heroes of Atlantica and the Coastal land?”

“Well…if you say it like that,” Ulla murmured, playing with her glass of seaweed juice.

“What about you Joon? How did you enjoy your first experience inside a Mer city?”

The brunette blinked, frozen by the King’s sudden attention on him. “I-incredible, your highness!” he stuttered.

At his choice of title, Trident’s eyes glinted. “You can always…call me…father,” the great Mer coyly replied. Both Ulla and Joon choked at his words.

“Father!” the girl shrilled.

The King laughed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter