♒7♒

The Illegitimate Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]♒ Jig ♒[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

Ulla let her fingers break the water and watched in wonderment as the ripples floated away. Through them she could see the occasional fish swim by, a turtle too, and groves of moss on smooth rocks. Above the odd tasting water, because surely the first thing she did after getting on the boat was reach over  and scoop a drink into , were rows of plant life, pretty lily pads, and crocking frogs.

As the boat drifted along, the guard rowing at its head, Ulla leaned on her hand and closed her eyes to allow the cacophony of noise lull her. Ariel, whom sat to her side, had already pointed out this and that, creatures and plant alike, giving names and descriptions.

So far she had seen and now heard the lovely sounds of the lily pad frogs, the plump ducks, the swallowing birds, the fluttering bugs, and the very familiar seagulls flying overhead. Together they made the most beautiful of music, one that could rival the Mer choir she would sometimes hear if she swam too close to Atlantica.

Higher than even the seagulls the sun breathed warm waves down on the bunch, giving Joon a reason to open a frilly pink umbrella and hold it over the ladies. Perplexed, Ulla played with its frills and the wooden rod that held it up. Joon chuckled at her constant curiosity causing Ulla to shyly duck her head.

Ariel too laughed; not so much at her sister, but at the situation. The whole day felt like de ja vu, but of course that’s exactly what she planned. What she didn’t plan though, was the odd familiarity of her sister and Joon. There was something about the auras they let out in the air that intrigued her. She wondered if there was a reason they came into her life at the same time. Rubbing her belly, she wondered too, if her baby would soon be adding to the wonderful aura.

It wasn’t long before they reached the last trek of their boat ride, passing under a weeping willow; its tendrils sweeping across their faces. Ulla put a hand out, letting her fingers brush through as they went. It was so soft and fresh smelling; it brought a peace that made her sleepy. She wished she could stay in this river forever; although she wasn’t sure it was big enough for a mermaid. Unfortunately, like all things, the ride soon came to an end, and the trio along with the guard were off to the castle again.

 

The rest of the day passed quickly, and without much happening. Ulla, clueless, followed Ariel around as she took care of this or that and made plans with her midwives. She even got to visit the King and Queen’s quarters where the child would be born. Apparently, along with a celebration held the day of birth, it was also customary for the heir to be born the royal bed. Ulla wondered if each King got a new bed or if the all the past King’s birthed had been so in this same bed. Humans were quite odd she decided.

When she sat down for after supper tea and sweets with her sister and Eric, they continued on their conversation of the birth day or at least Ariel and Eric did. Ulla on the other hand kept to herself, only listening out of courtesy.

“Yes dear, everything is prepped and in the room. Blankets, bowels, towels, sterilized instruments, and whatever else I and the baby may need,” Ariel chirped.

Eric smiled, biting into a cookie. “Perfect,” he said, “I’ll have Grimsby prepare a comfortable chair and some newspapers outside the room to keep me occupied while you’re busy.”

“Outside the room?” Ariel questioned in astonishment, “But dear, I’m told husbands usually find the birthing…scary.” She whispered the last part, and both Erica and Ulla burst into laughter. Thankfully it was just the three of them, or the Queen might have her whole staff laughing at her.

“I’m sure I can handle a bit of scary,” Eric teased to which Ariel blushed and through a macaroon at him. “I’m serious,” she continued, “The King always waits in his study during the birth; you told me that. It’s tradition!”

Placing his tea aside, Eric leaned forward and took his wife’s hand. “Maybe so, but you told me that through each of your sister’s birth’s along with your own, your father stayed as close as possible to your mother without bothering her. That itself is a tradition; one I don’t mind upholding.” Ariel’s eyes sparkled at his words, and she couldn’t help but give him a gentle peck, to which Ulla embarrassedly looked away.

The soon to be mother was filled to the brim with happiness, even her sister could tell, but unlike the red head, Ulla did not have those happy memories that would soon lead to more. As far as she knew, her father was not there for her birth, nor was anyone. From what her mother told her, it was just her, her eels, and a much smaller Glut. From the time she was born it had just been the five of them, until the deaths of Floatsam and Jetsam that is. Even Ursula’s sister, Ulla’s aunt had not bothered attending.

Ulla did not know much about child birth or children in general, but she imagined it must be very hard to take care of one with just a couple fish by your side. Not that her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter