♒ 5♒

The Illegitimate Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]♒ Daughters of Triton ♒[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

“Welp, here it is,” Olivia announced, hands on hips. Ulla looked up at the grand castle; its sandstone walls and shell inlayed steps gleamed even in the moonlight. It was as beautiful as Atlantica, and most definitely put her sea monster home to shame.

From where they stood, the building blocked out the sea Ulla had grown up in, but it could not block out the soft crashing of waves and that comforted the girl. It gave her courage to step forward, but she stopped short when she realized her new friend was not following.

She looked to the girl questioningly. Olivia shrugged, and offered a small smile in return. “Sorry love, but this is the King’s castle. I don’t know exactly why you wish to see the Queen, but whatever reason; it won’t grant my kind invitation inside.”

Ulla frowned; how was she supposed to tell this person she’d only known for a few hours that she was her first real friend, other than Glut of course. How was she supposed to say that she did not want to part with her so soon without seeming pathetic? She was so clueless about everything; how would she gain entry to the castle when she could not even enter her own father’s castle freely.

Still, she couldn’t burden this girl with all her problems. After all, she’d already helped to possibly identify her sister. That was more than enough in Ulla’s eyes, but she also could not help but to ask one last favor, “Will you come….may I come visit you sometime?” She knew her voice shook as she spoke, but it was all she could do to show how grateful she was.

Olivia crossed her arms and smirked, “How about this little lost girl; if whatever you need the Queen for doesn’t work out, come find me. It’d be nice to have a roommate for a change.” Ulla sighed, “That sounds like it would be fun, but I’m not sure I’ll be here that long.” The other girl shrugged again, admonishing her own sigh. “Well the offer stands. See you around.” As she walked away, she waved lazily at Ulla, who in return, gave a full toothed grin.

Once the bread seller was out of sight, Ulla lost her smile and apprehension once again filled her. Slowly, she turned to look back at the beautiful seaside castle, and for once, despite the vast sea she had leaved in, she felt very small, and very alone. She only hoped that, that would soon change.

Taking a breath, she stepped forward, exhaling as she did. She then did so again and again until she reached the top step, only a hairs width from the grand front door. With one last big breath, she raised her trembling hand, and rapped loudly. Her throbbed at the force, but she ignored it, quickly forgetting the pain when the clicking of heavy heels sounded from behind the door.

Not a moment later, the entrance opened, and Ulla was greeted by a round woman in a high necked dress and floor length skirt. “May I help you?” the woman asked blandly. Blinking, Ulla said the first thing that came to mind, “Aren’t you hot in that?” Even though she herself was more covered up than ever bore, she was not quite as clothed as the woman, yet she could feel small beads of sweat forming at the nape of her neck.

“May I help you?” the woman repeated.

Slightly embarrassed, Ulla nodded shyly, “Actually, I’m…I need to speak to Queen Ariel. It’s very important.” She wasn’t surprised when the woman raised an eyebrow in response.

“Young lady,” she said, “this is not your neighborhood friend’s home where you can just come and call on them whenever you please. And even if it were, it is supper time. Do you have no manners as well as no sense?”

The woman began to close the door, but Ulla put a hand to it, and pushed back forcefully. “Please,” she begged, “I’m not just a random stranger…not really anyway. I have relation to the Queen…maybe, so please. If you can just tell her that someone is here to see her. Please.”

Pursing her lips, the woman glared at the girl, taking in her rags that barely passed as clothing. “I’m sorry, but please leave. If not I’ll have to call the guards.”

Stiffening, Ulla’s mouth went dry. Guards? They had passed none on the way to the castle. She had not even given them a thought, but with the old man’s words from earlier, she did not want to meet any…guards.

her lips, she asked again, “Please, I beg you. I must speak with the Queen. I have nowhere else to go!” This last statement was lie, as Olivia had just recently offered her home to her, but what the prudish woman didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her.

Fed up with the girl, the woman pushed the door harshly, making Ulla stumble back, but before it could be shut in her face, the girl pushed back just as hard and rushed through. She bumped shoulders with the woman in the process and shrilled as she tripped and fell forward. Her forehead hit harshly and she cursed, but scrambled quickly to her feet, turning so her back was not facing the woman.

“I’m sorry,” she whimpered, “But I have to talk to her.” She then turned and cupped , “Ariel! Queen Ariel! Ariel!” she yelled at the top of her lungs until the woman launched at her, both of them falling to the ground.

The woman attempted the hold Ulla down, yelling for the guards to come help, but Ulla wouldn’t have it, yelling even louder than the women. “Ariel! Please, Ariel!” she then looked at the women, tears and fear clouding her vision. “Please, I have to speak to her. You don’t understand, I’m her sister! I’m her eldest sister!” The woman startled at her words, but did not relieve her hold; that is, until running and voices found their way over.

“What is going on here?” a tall man with a thin face erupted. Anger was evident in his eyes, and even his small pony tail quivered with his ill hidden rage. Neither of the females could answer though as men in uniforms surrounded them; point their sharp swords at Ulla. The girl screamed when one of them neared her face, but before any harm could be done, a booming voice broke through the chaos. “Stop!”

All heads turned to a tall man in a loose white shirt, clashing pristine slacks, and sleek black loafers. He held an air of authority, and everyone in the room, other than the women on the floor, bowed to him.

“What in the world is going on here? And Amalia, why are you on top of that women?” he asked.

The woman in question reddened and glanced around for help. “Y-your Highness, I was just…she just burst in!”

“So that gives you right to attack her? You are a housemaid not a guard. It is not your job to take such matters into your own hands, even if you thought she was dangerous. You should have called for help. Now, will you please get off this girl?”

Flustered, Amalia pushed away from the girl, who whimpered at her roughness and scattered back a bit. The guard closest to her held his blade out again, but a click of the King’s tongue stopped him in his tracks.

Eric glared at the guard then gave a sympathetic look to the girl. He took a step toward her, but when she scampered backward again, he stopped, instead kneeling so he could be on eye level with her. “What is your name,” he asked.

Not being able to meet his eyes, she replied, “My name is Ulla.”

“Ulla huh? That’s a nice name. May I ask why you charged into my home the way did?” It wasn’t very tactful, but no point beating around the bush.

Ulla bit her lip, curling closer to herself. There were so many people in the room, and more coming in. She looked up, past the King and met gazes with a slim man sporting dark eyes and even darker hair. He stood in between a plump woman with kind eyes and a large man with one raised bushy brow.

For a moment, all other sounds hummed into nothingness and she was caught with only her fast paced heart and the man’s curious brown eyes. It wasn’t long though, before the King called her attention back. “Ulla,” he said, “is it true?”

“True?” she asked, confused.

“Are you after the Queen?”

After…the Queen? Ulla reared back in surprise, looking to Amalia. What had the woman said when she was out of it?

“I….”

Whatever she was going to say was interrupted by short woman in a simple, but luxurious looking calf length dress. Her long red hair twinkled in the light, and her peachy skin glowed vibrantly. “Who’s after me?” she asked tilting her head.

A gasp escaped Ulla, and her heart raged even faster. Stumbling to her feet, she tried to get closer, but a guard grabbed her and even the King placed himself between the women. “So it’s true,” he accused.

“No!” Ulla argued, voice raised in panic, “I’m not after the Queen. I would never harm her in anyway, especially, now.” She looked at the red heads swelled belly, and she felt a wave of protectiveness she had never experienced. She was going to be an aunt. Unknowingly, a smile split her features, and her heart calmed considerably.

“Then why are you here

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter