♒ 4♒

The Illegitimate Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]♒ Part of Your World ♒[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

An unfamiliar noise roared softly in her ears, but against her face lapped a well acquainted feeling. Ulla opened , allowing the sea water to enter; something she did on a daily basis without even really thinking about it. Yet, when the salty liquid reached the back of she felt suffocated and began to cough and sputter to get it out.

Turning on her side, Ulla grabbed her burning throat and gasped for the foreign, but precious feeling of mainland air. Her body could no longer filter and process water to create the ocean oxygen her sea creature lungs needed to survive. Now she had to rely on the human way to breathe. It was similar, but still felt lacking, and tasted too empty, unlike the constant taste of salt and water pumping in and out of her body that she was used to.

A new type of breathing wasn’t the only foreign feeling Ulla felt though. She also could feel warmth that was almost scalding to the touch. Along with the mysterious warmth came an almost familiar grainy feeling that scratched at her slick skin.

Finally opening her eyes, Ulla stared down at the warm sand that mushed and clumped through her fingers. It was similar to the sand where the ship graveyard lay. It was heavy with water, but still grainy from its natural feel. Not too far ahead was more sand, this time a light beige color compared to the damp grey color. It was not wet, being out of reach of the lapping sea, and it gleamed in almost sparkling way.

Ulla looked over her shoulder, up at the brilliant blue sky, one she had never seen until Glut had brought her to the surface. The sky was streaked with white fluffs that looked like sea foam, and its center was set with a blinding ball of light. Ulla winced and shielded her eyes. She did not know what the heat source was called, but she had heard about it, and seen its reaching lights breach the oceans waters.

Being part Octopid, she naturally stuck toward the bottom of the sea and rocky, dark crevices. There were times when she braved higher to where the mainland’s light reached the farthest it could into the dark. She even dared to reach into the rays of water that glittered in its lighter tone. It was always a little bit warmer in those areas compared to the normal frigid feel of the ocean. It wasn’t a bad feeling Ulla had remembered, but it was odd, and now she felt its oddness full force. It was uncomfortable to say the least.

Having had enough of the mainland’s differences compared to what she was used to, Ulla looked around, trying to orient herself and figure out where she was. On one side was the sparkling sea rippling here and there. She hoped Glut was still somewhere out there; she didn’t relish the idea of being completely alone.

On the other side was a rocky wall that towered over her. She looked up to find it reached all the way up into the sky, or so it seemed to her. What was lacking though, was people. There were no humans in the area, and Ulla wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or bad. She wanted  time to figure out what to do, seeing as she made the journey to this place without much a plan other than a need to escape, but she also wished someone would come and tell her what to do. She’s never really been given the choice or chance to make a real decision on her own; not something so significant.

Ulla suddenly felt overwhelmed and as if both the sea and the rock wall were rushing toward her. A guttural sound emerged from and she fell over on her bottom. Breathing rapidly she touched her perspiring forehead to her two new appendages. Closing her eyes, and wrapping her arms around herself, Ulla’s breathing began to even out and her heart slowed to a more manageable speed.

“Ulla?” a familiar voice called out. The girl looked up to find Glut a few yards away. Placed carefully in his mouth was her father’s gift. She had forgotten about it.

“Glut,” she breathed in relief, “You’re here. I was worried you left.” The overgrown shark looked abashed, “I couldn’t leave without making sure you were okay. I also wanted to give this to you.” He scooted as close to land as he could, before setting the gift down and nudging it forward with his nose. Ulla hesitantly reached out to take it.

“You look really different,” Glut commented.

Looking down at herself, Ulla observed the fleshy mounds once covered in scales; the flat belly with a small hole at her mid, and the small V that parted into two smooth appendages. She looked very much human, or what she was told they looked like. “Yes I do,” she replied.

Ulla then bent forward, intrigued by her split fin. She traced its curves with her fingers, picking at one of the small nubs at the end. She then glanced at the V in the middle, and it oddness. It was the weirdest thing out of all the human bits she was given. Looking up at Glut she asked, “Do you think this is where the eggs come from?” The shark blinked at her in thought. After a moment he dumbly answered, “Most likely. Make sure you don’t let any eggs out or a human might accidently fertilize it.” Ulla gave a disgusted look, but nodded in worry. Her mother would kill her if she didn’t heed Glut’s words.

Her blushing thoughts faded quickly, and were once again replaced by muddled musings. “What should I do now?” she questioned uncertain, “I hadn’t really thought this far.” Glut nodded his understanding and swam back a bit; let his head raise a bit more. “I can see a castle,” he said, “and there are smaller homes as well beyond that. I can barely see them, but they can’t be too far from where you are.”

That was something yes, but it still didn’t give Ulla substantial direction. “But then what?” she asked frustrated. “Find Ariel,” Glut recommended. Ulla blinked. Ariel. Why hadn’t she thought of that? She knew her sister was on land, and even if they didn’t know each other, Ulla was sure her youngest sister could help her.

Ulla jumped up with a noise of happy triumph. Her elatedness was short lived as she fell back in a heap and moaned in pain. Clicking her tongue she glared a Glut. “I just need to learn how to move like a human first.” “And find something to put on. The humans I’ve seen don’t walk around so bare,” Glut offered. Ulla harrumphed in annoyance, “this is proving a lot harder than I thought.”

 

“Lunch over,” Chef Louis announced with a thick French accent that was almost unintelligible. Lee Joon sighed and leaned against a counter looking slightly disheveled.

Their day had been more than busy so far, having to wake up at three in the morning to get ready for the day, as well as have his breakfast before preparing that for the rest of the castle’s residence.  Then another grueling 3 hours of putting together a delicious lunch for everyone, and Lee Joon knew that they’d only have a short window to have their own meals before starting on dinner.

But I guess As Chef Louis was right when he said upon their first meeting late last night, ‘A Chef’s job never ends’.

Their half hour rest was more than refreshing for Lee Joon who stood taller with squared shoulders. His determination was back; and since the King himself got him this job, he would not fail. Besides, he did promise the King to give this land a few more days before deciding if he should leave or not. He should at the very least give it an actual shot and not be so deterred by the laboring work.

“Grunt!” Chef Louis yelled breaking Lee Joon from a short stretching session. The young apprentice rushed to attention before the towering man. “Yes Chef!” he shouted in return. He felt like he was back in his army days from his homeland. It was somewhat comforting actually.

Chef Louis grabbed a tray adorned with petite sea scape tea cups and pot, as well as a small tower of cookies and cucumber sandwiches. “The Queen is expecting a visit from the Head Mistress of Angel Fish Orphanage in half an hour. Take this to the Honey Parlor and set on table number three before anyone sees you. This Castle is known for its magic meaning things appear without having to be asked or requested, and we as the staff are what make that magic happen. Remember that boy.”

Lee Joon saluted in understanding and gently took the tray. Once outside the kitchen, he paused with slight upset. Where was the Honey Parlor?

Moving quickly, Lee Joon went to and fro around the castle looking for the room where the Queen was supposed to meet her guest. At least twenty minutes has passed, and he was starting to sweat with fear he wouldn’t make it in time. He could always ask someone for directions, only problem is he hadn’t encountered anyone since leaving the Kitchens. Where the hell was everyone?

Sighing he wondered if he should just go back to the kitchens and risk getting chewed out in order to get directions. That option led to another problem though…he didn’t know where he was let alone how to get back to the kitchen.

Deciding to just chance it, as he had no other choice, Lee Joon continued to wonder in the hopes of either finding the room, someone to help him, or the dreaded Kitchens.

Another few minutes passed, and a few rounded corners and climbing of stairs before Lee Joon saw a sway of vibrant red hair enter a set of white oak and glass doors. He saw the petite back of a woman and immediately followed calling out to her.

“Miss! Miss!” he called entering the room. The woman paused and turned to him in surprise. It was upon seeing her small face and sea foam green eyes did he notice the poufy gown she dawned and how fitting she looked in the elegant room setting.

“May I help you?” she asked with a musical tone.

Lee Joon blinked, his face imm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter