Part 1

Avoiding April
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cr: Night Breeze

 

Author’s note:

This is my third fanfiction featuring the handsome Kim Taehyung. You can check my other works on other BTS members out in the foreword. I hope you enjoy this. This is the first time I used the American quotation marks. I’m still trying to get used to it lol. Also, this story is actually set in an alternative universe, very similar to the present day. The boys are older than they are now and the concept of the entertainment industry is close to how we know it today.

Congratulations to lilcat to be the first to upvote the story even though the story wasn’t even published yet. I hope I didn’t disappoint any of you. Please enjoy~

This story is rated PG-13 (for now) for its coarse language.

 

Part 1

“Did I get it?” the sound of a melodious and slightly agitated voice came from a small, slightly panic stricken young woman. She rushed into the small office of her manager, breathless and somewhat excited.

“Did I get it? Did I get it?”

Her manager struggled to get up to fix himself from procrastinating at his desk as the young woman walked in, all flustered. He looked at her with a side eye.

“No, you didn’t okay,” he responded in a disappointed voice. “You should really learn to knock April.”

April opened in surprise when she heard the news came out from her manager’s mouth. Mr. Kim watched as April shrunk slowly to the couch next to her. She looked so dejected, her long black hair flowing down her face.

“Hey, don’t look so disappointed. There’s always another time,” Mr. Kim said as he ruffled his messy hair, his aging face wrinkled as he spoke.

April looked up suddenly and stared at her manager in disbelief. “We can’t keep going like this,” she said as she shook her head. “How many more auditions do I have to go through and all I get is a no here a no there. How many more rejections am I supposed to face? It’s been two years, am I just going to pretend that didn’t happen?”

Mr. Kim gave a nervous laughter and April just slumped back to the couch, hanging open and her body lifeless. Rejection was a very familiar concept for a rookie wannabe actress. She struggled to find a decent job. April never had a big break. She only got small roles in some unpopular sitcoms. How was she supposed to escalate her career if this was the road she was on for two whole years?

“Don’t fret hey,” Mr. Kim responded, waving his hands in front of him. “There’s another opening soon. See look.”

Mr. Kim threw down a large envelope on the coffee table in front of April and pointed to it. “It’s another drama, apparently the director is-“

“What’s the point,” April said in a weak tone, interrupting Mr. Kim. “I’m just going to get rejected again.”

“April, don’t give me that attitude.”

“But really, all I’m going to do is just go there to audition and won’t even last 10 seconds before they send me home.”

Mr. Kim sighed. He scratched his head. The company he built was small, almost non-existent. He struggled to get his artists a gig and he kept on getting rejections and less and less offers; the company may just go down in flames. Nobody would ever know they existed. There were only two more artist under his belt. They were both comedians. April was his only actress.

“I don’t like that attitude April,” Mr. Kim shook his head and placed his hands on his waist. “Just go to this one. See how it goes. You may land a small role.”

April opened her eyes and perked up from her seat. “So what do I have to do to get a role around here?” she asked with a serious face. “Who do I have to sleep with? Who do I have to please?”

Mr. Kim’s face turned dark. He started to fume. “Now don’t give me that April. I am not allowing you to do that kind of dirty work,” he huffed. “I’m not like any other directors out there who uses their artists as a scapegoat and a tradeoff. No, don’t even think about that.”

April’s face calmed and she let out a sigh. “I’m sorry,” she responded. “I’m just… maybe, maybe we’re already at our limit Kim…”

“Don’t give me that April. I’ll find something for you.” He said and pursed his lips. Even he wasn’t sure himself. The future seemed bleak and there was only so much one man could do. The office wasn’t bustling with staff either. There were a few part timers and one other full time staff who never seemed to be found anywhere in the office.

“Fine,” April said as she stood up and grabbed the envelope. “I’ll practice the script.”

With that, April walked out of the office with her head down low and shoulders slumped. No matter how many times she tried to motivate herself, there was always something to knock her back down. Mr. Kim stood there with his hands crossed over his chest and wore a huge frown on his face, wondering how he was going to pay back the debt he owed to this company.

---

April walked up to her small and quite dirty apartment. She struggled to get the door open, still not fixed from two months prior. She had no money to even fix a door and it frustrated her so much. She sighed and entered her lousy living room. It was literally a small box: her home. She slept, ate, and practiced her script in the same living space.

She tugged off her worn shoes and flipped the lights on and was about to get herself a glass of water, she heard a loud knock on her door.

“April, you’re late again.”

April felt her heart drop. She looked quickly at the calendar on her wall. ! She was most definitely late again.

“Uh,” April said as quickly dropped to her knees to look for her extra money she saved in her closet. “Just a minute!”

“If you’re going to be late again you know I will have to kick you out April.”

April finally found the small, almost torn piece of envelope and sprinted to the door. She sighed and tried to brace herself before she opened the door to find a short, stout, angry looking woman in her 40s standing with her hands on her hips.

“I’m sorry Mala, I was going to give you my paycheck but… I only have this much.”

April handed out her envelope containing pretty much her entire savings. Her heart felt heavy as she pushed the envelope slowly to Mala. She looked at April with narrow eyes and took the envelope quickly from her hands. April felt her heart drop as Mala stared at her.

“You should find another job sweetie,” she retorted. “You’re not an actress. Maybe you should stop trying to be and find a job that can actually pay rent.”

“Mala, don’t say that, I-“

“You better get me the rest of the money soon, or else-“

“Yes, yes, I’ll make sure you get the money. I promise.”

Mala gave April one last look before she turned away with a huff, muttering curse words to herself. April quickly locked the door and sighed. She placed her head against the door and closed her eyes.

Nothing was going right in her life. April moved to the big city two years ago to become an actress. She just really loved to act, practicing her lines and acting out a scenario. April even had to convince her father that she really needed to do this. He was reluctant. As a matter of fact, he was pretty angry. He didn’t believe his daughter had the nerve to choose such a risky career.

There was a lot of fighting and arguing and April left him on bad terms. She never felt good about it. There was a lingering regret that haunted her. She was so stubborn about following her dreams that she left her father alone, working by himself on the farm. April bit her lips as she felt worried of her father, with his age, harvesting oranges from the trees. Even if her father wasn’t supportive of her decision, she still wish he would have been there for her through these tough times.

April sighed and looked around at her gloomy apartment. She walked towards her small closet and opened it up. Inside were a just a bunch of her clothes and shoes. She took out box that was piled neatly in the bottom corner. She lifted the blue box and quietly peeked in at what was inside.

April took out a beautiful blue bracelet from the box, it was hinted with gold and small trinkets. It almost looked like a lucky charm. She smiled weakly. April then took out a yellow book with the title ‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower.’ She sighed and placed it down to the side. She lifted a few more items; a postage from Germany, a glass ball with miniature cakes and fruits inside, a vintage looking ring with an owl’s structure on it, and a cute little bookmark with a small purple jewel clipped to the side. She took out all these random objects from the box until she found the golden necklace.

She stared at the old thing with a small smile on her face. April couldn’t seem to take her eyes off of the golden necklace in front of her. It wasn’t because it looked expensive, but the fact that it was designed so beautifully. She sighed. All of these items were not hers. They were actually given to her, by someone she had never seen before.

It all started a few years ago, when she first moved to the city. In the beginning she thought it was a prank. The small gifts were sent to her through the mail a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter