Last Period: Kris x Hanbyul

First Love Notes

A/N: This is the last round of chapters for this fic T__T I'm letting the Hanbyul's storyline come first before Minseul's for narrative purposes. Enjoy!

***

LAST PERIOD (AND AFTER)

HANBYUL

“Boo!” I sling my arm around Minseul’s shoulders since she looks so serious reading the paper heart on her hand. It’s a good thing our teacher told us to deliver our letters ourselves before . At least Minseul won’t collect my letter and grill me on who Ahju— Kris sunbae is (or can I call him Kris oppa?)

Actually, since seonsaengnim told us to deliver the hearts ourselves, the entire activity is pointless. As if I would give the letter to Kris. Even if I’m going to meet him two days from now.

“Hanbyul! You scared me.”

I can feel Minseul wriggling out of my arm, but I won’t let her escape. Did she think I didn’t notice how fast she hid that heart before I can even peek? “Scared that I get to see your heart?”

“What? It’s the heart I wrote!” You can tell from the panic in her eyes that she’s lying.

Really?!??!” I continue to as we leave the classroom. I’m not really this annoying, but I’m in a good mood. And it’s cute that someone gave a heart to Minseul. I thought all boys are scared of our class president. “C’mon, Minseul. I’m your friend!” I lift my arm. “I swear I won’t tell anyone.”

“No…it’s a...a secret.” Her cheeks are turning pink. Haha! I haven’t seen our confident president this flustered!

“Fine.” Two can play this game. I have time to force a name all the way to our neighbourhood. “At least tell me if your letter is for him.”

A small frown starts to form on her lips. “Ummm, no. I’m giving it to my Oppa. How about you? Did you really write your letter for one of your anime crushes?”

Oppa? Who is Minseul’s oppa? “Uh. I didn’t.”

“Wooowwww...so it’s a real boy? Who is it?”

“I’m not telling if you’re not telling!” I stuck my tongue out at her as we pass through the outside hall. As I said, two can play this game.

She sighs. “Fine. Keep it a secret, okay?”

“Here.” I hand my letter to her so that she’ll trust me. It’s not like he will be able to read this anyway. I’m willing to do this just to know who has a crush on Minseul.

She starts scanning the letter. “Hahaha, Golden Ajusshi—”

I curl my lips at how sappy I sound until I realize that Minseul stopped walking. “It’s really nothing, Minseul. Haha.” I wave her off as I claimed my letter. Now this is embarrassing.

“Hanbyul, that ajusshi—”

“Minseul!!!!!!”

We both turned to the shout and I suddenly can’t breathe. He’s here. Kris.

“Oppa!”

Oppa? Kris is Minseul’s oppa? Minseul is running towards him and Kris welcomes her with a hug. Oh boy, where’s that hole I can crawl into?

“Oppa! We got to make Valentine’s letters! Here is yours!” Minseul excitedly hands the letter from her pocket.  

Kris flashes a big grin at her, looking at her so adoringly that I can’t move from where I’m standing. He reads Minseul’s letter aloud, “Hi oppa ~~~ I’m glad you moved in with us. We can play together all the time. Happy Valentines Day!” He pats her head before looking at me. Uh-oh.

“Hanbyul! Come meet my stepbrother!”

Stepbrother?!?! I can feel my cheeks burning up. So Kris is the stepbrother that Minseul mentioned before. The one from Canada.

Wait, does that mean Minseul knows the letter I wrote is for her stepbrother?!?!

I feel my hand getting tugged by Minseul as we move closer to Kris. “Oppa, this is –”

“Hi Hanbyul! Nice to see you again.”

“Again?” Minseul’s eyes widens before looking at the paper heart – my letter – still in my hand. I narrow my eyes at her in warning. “Great, you already met! She’s my classmate. She also lives down the street. Oh I know!” Minseul claps her hands, and I know that she is up to no good. “You can both walk together—” She trails off and I look over my shoulder and see Sehun from a distance. “I—I’ll follow.” She continues. “Bye.”

“But—” I was barely able to get the word out of my mouth when Minseul sprints to the corner of the school gate.

“Who’s that boy?” Kris asks, his eyes pointing at our classmate with unruly brown hair.

“Him? That’s Sehun. He’s from our class.”

“He doesn’t look like a nice boy.”

“Oh. I think he’s all right.” No need to let Kris know that Sehun is a bit of a troublemaker. Maybe Sehun did something again that the class president had to scold him again after class. Sehun can’t really get a break.

“Mmmm…so let’s go?”

He’s really going to walk home with me? “Are you sure?”

“Of course I’m sure. I’ll bring you home then go back and fetch Minseul. That Seho kid seems like he’s up to no good.”

“It’s Sehun.” I lightly correct him. It’s sweet that he’s looking out for Minseul. I remember Minseul always talking about her cool stepbrother and how she’s excited that he’s finally going to live with them.

This is one of those rare times that I wish my house wasn’t so close from the school. I bet Kris can even cut the travel time in half with his long strides but he made sure that we were always walking side by side. I’m still tongue-tied, just like at recess earlier, but he was an animated talker. He talked about moving here and how his first few days in school have been. Asked me what kind of a friend Minseul is.

“My house is just by that corner.” I really don’t want this to end.

“Okay. So you had a Valentine’s letter activity huh?”

I take that back. I want to go home. Right now. “Ah, yes we did.” I can feel my crumpled up letter burning a hole in my pocket.

“So, who did you write your letter to? If…you don’t mind..?” In our entire walk, this is the first time I saw him uneasy. “I’m just curious. But it’s okay if you don’t want to tell me.” He smiles at me, and I almost wanted to take out my poor letter right there and then.

“It’s—we’re here!” I announced…maybe a bit too excitedly but whatever. I need to hide. “Thank you for accompanying me.”

“No problem.” Kris laughs which instantly lifted the mood again. “So…I’ll see you again?”

Again? He wants to see me again? Does he like me? “Again?”

He nods. “Yup. For the Slam Dunk sketch.”

Oh right. He’s after the drawing. “Ah, yes. The day after tomorrow.” I wave good bye as I go up the steps. It was only a simple walk, he was only being good to his sister’s friend. But I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed.

“And Hanbyul—”                                                                                                                        

I look back and see that Kris hasn’t moved yet. “Yes?”

“Let me know when you’ll be able to finish that drawing of me.” He flashes a thumbs-up sign. “I want to see it too.” He waves good bye as I stare open mouthed at him, unable to speak as the rush of giddiness overtake me.

As I place the said unfinished drawing of Kris on my bed with my crumpled heart letter beside it, I realized that the Valentine’s activity wasn’t so bad after all. I start to finish his drawing, comforted with the thought that there are more ways than one to get the message across.