Recess: Kris x Hanbyul

First Love Notes

HANBYUL

Finally. Recess. I’m at my favorite spot at the fire escape steps, my sketchbook resting on my lap. It’s a good thing my mom made a sandwich for today. Well, it’s a heart-shaped sandwich (ick!). But at least I can eat AND draw at the same time. 

The sudden bang of the door from the level below me startled me so much that I dropped my sketchbook. It opened exactly at my drawing of Sakuragi and Rukawa. Right beside the foot of the intruder who opened the door.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He crouches down to get the sketchbook and returned it to me. “I didn’t know anyone was here.” He flashes a gummy smile at me, enough for me to stare open-mouthed at him. Unable to speak.

Because it’s him. Golden Ajusshi 00.

“Your sketches are good!” He says as he flips through my sketchbook.

Oh no! I was drawing him earlier! I stare in horror as his eyes land on the page in question. It’s a good thing I wasn’t able to put in the facial features yet. Or the number in his jersey. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?

“Oh! This looks like our school’s basketball court!” His eyes shine as he hands back the sketchbook. “I like to play basketball. Do you play?”

“Ummmm…no?” I squeak. Why are you still talking to me? You already gave me back my sketchbook!

“Oh, I thought you play. Can I sit here?” He points to the spot beside me on the steps. I didn’t know what I was doing but I must have nodded because he just sat beside me, stretching his long legs against the steps below us.

“So, why are you in the fire escape?” He asks me, biting into an apple he fished out of his pocket. His hair is even lighter now that I’m seeing it up close.

“Ummm, I just want to draw in peace….”

“Oh. Okay. I guess I should leave then—”

“No!” I shouted at him and his eyes widened. Why did I say that? This is so embarrassing.

He laughs. “Okay. I’ll stay here then. You can continue drawing if you want.”

I continued drawing while he munches into his apple, careful not to bring in more details that would lead him to find out that I was actually drawing him. I still can’t believe he’s here. Who is he? “So…why are you here?”

He raises his eyebrows. “I’m new. Just transferred. My classmates were crowding me a lot earlier and it’s noisy since it’s Valentine’s Day. I guess I should be happy they’re friendly and all but…I just want to escape. Even for a while. And hey, I get to meet you! And see your cool drawings!”

“Oh I’m not really that good—”

“You ARE good. Trust me.” He says confidently. “From one artist to another.”

“You draw?”

“Yep. I’m like the Picasso in my old school.” The way he proudly says it leaves me no choice but to believe him. “Here, let me draw my pet.”

I offered my pad to him and he sketches briskly. I was surprised when he handed it me back to me at once. Is he an art prodigy or something? “Uhhhh….what is it?” Maybe it’s an abstract drawing. But he said it’s his pet right? An abstract pet?

“It’s my pet alpaca.”

“What’s an alpaca?”

“It’s….hmmm, I don’t how to describe it.”

Okaaaayyyyy. Golden Ajusshi 00 is a bit weird. But I’m weird too. “Okay. So that’s how alpacas look like. It’s great we have alpacas in Korea!” Whatever that is.

“Oh. Hahaha. It’s a pet doll. From my sister. She’s about your age. Maybe you and she can play sometime.”

Will he be there to play with us too? I can’t help but be happy at the thought. “Sure!” I said eagerly, and he smiled even wider.

“Great! I’m Kris by the way.” He offers a hand.

His warm hand just about swallowed mine as I shake it. “I’m Hanbyul.”

“Nice to meet you, Hanbyul.” We both jump as the bell rings to signal the end of recess. “Are you on the floor above us?”

“Yes.” I answered.

“Okay.” He stands up and I had to crane my neck to see his face. He’s so tall. “Umm, can I ask you something Hanbyul? Can you draw me Sakuragi and Rukawa too? I like Slam Dunk.”

Oh my, is this even real? “Umm, you take it.” I started to rip the page off with Sakuragi and Rukawa on my sketchbook. It is one of my favorite drawings but it’s okay. Even if I never see Kris again I’m glad that he has one of my drawings with him.

He stops my hand with his. “No I can’t! Just draw me another one!” I can see his face turning red, and I can feel my cheeks burning too. He drops my hand abruptly when he caught me staring. “I’ll see you around? I’m on the floor below you.” His eyes crinkled. “Oh! Or how long will it take you to finish the drawing?”

“Ummm…maybe the day after?”

“Great! I’ll meet you here in two days. Recess. This spot.” He waves goodbye and runs to the door before I was able to reply.

Am I dreaming? I’m seeing Kris again? My hand wandered to my pocket and I can feel my heart cut-out weighing on my hand.

Would he want to see me again if I give my heart to him?