First Period: D.O. x Dae In

First Love Notes

DAE IN

Oh no what do I do? I think asking Minseul for more heart cut-outs is a bad idea. The three hearts on my desk are now becoming a burden. Maybe I should have just stuck with one and give it to seonsaengnim instead. At least no one will get mad at me if I give it to her.

This is not going to work. I hide my face in my hands. Think Dae In. Think Dae In. Which three—

“Ummm…Dae In?”

The slight nudge following the soft voice caused me to lift my head. Kyungsoo? He never speaks to me in class…well actually he never speaks to anyone if he doesn’t need to. I think he’s really shy. “Uh yes?” I smile warmly at him. Good! He’s now speaking to me! Maybe he can be my friend too!

I’m surprised when he suddenly offers me his heart. “Do you need one more?” He blurts out suddenly, his foot making weird patterns on the floor.

“Oh, but Kyungsoo! How about your heart?”

His blush deepens. “It’s okay. You can take it.” He brings the cut-out so close to my eyes that I blinked. I took his heart cut-out. Maybe four hearts will make my decision easier but…

“Kyungsoo. You can’t give yours to me. C’mon!” I patted the empty chair next to mine. “Sit!” This is good! Kyungsoo opening up!

He is not moving at all so I grabbed his arm and make him sit beside me. It’s great that Kyungsoo is speaking up more. Maybe I can help him gain more friends! Oooohhh! Or maybe be his matchmaker! I know one girl in the other class who has a crush on him.

“So…” I , placing his heart in front of him. “Which girl do you like?”

He mumbles. “Ummm…I don’t know…”

“You should know Kyungsoo! You’re 11 years old!” Okay, I should be helping him right? I scan through the room. “Oooohhh, how about Minseul?” I almost burst out laughing as I see our dear class president still glaring at Sehun while writing on her heart. Poor Sehun. “She’s the class president and I know she likes well-behaved boys.”

“Errrr….”

“Oh! How about Yujin!” I cut him off. I don’t see Kyungsoo and Minseul as a couple. He needs someone who will make him get out of his shell. “She’s adorable and sweet. I bet she’ll gush over you!” I say excitedly, forcing the pen on his hand. And I know that Yujin wants to get at least one heart today.

“Uh, Yujin? Doesn’t she like Luhan? And I think Chen likes her.” I bulge my eyes at him. I didn’t know he was that observant. Or maybe Kyungsoo is more aware of his classmates than I thought. He really has big eyes, maybe that’s why he can see things more clearly?

“Yeah…I know. Hmmm. Let’s go with Krystal…?” I point to the bubbly girl at the front and Kyungsoo cranes his neck to her. There. Krystal is friendly and smiles at everyone. She can get Kyungsoo to speak more.

“Krystal?’ His mouth pursed in worry. “Why her?”

Why her exactly? “Because she talks a lot and she has many friends.” I smile at him to encourage him more. “I think if you give your heart to her she would help you open up more.”

“Talks a lot and is friendly? That’s who I’ll write it for?”

“Yep!” I smiled more when he just stared at me with his huge eyes. I was becoming nervous when he just won’t say anything. I continue to stare at him although I can feel my smile faltering.

Kyungsoo stares at his heart, biting his lip in worry. Uh oh. Did I say something wrong? But then he bursts into a grin so bright it blinded me – I’m not kidding. It really did.

“In that case…” He is smiling but I can see his fingers grip the edge of his heart. Is he nervous too?

“What Kyungsoo, you can tell me anything.” I flash another smile to help him loosen up.

“Can I write your name?”