String 7 - Tied Together

Tied By Music (Short Story)

 

                                                                                              

                                                                                                                          

 

 

“YAH!! LITTLE TROUBLEMAKER GET BACK HERE!”

 

I ran as fast as I could away from the terrifying, human-eating Bang Yongguk. I made sure there was enough safe distance between us before turning my head to his direction and tried not to laugh at how he was gasping for air.

 

I cupped both my palms around my mouth then shouted back, “CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, SHORTIE!” I laughed as I kept running. I spotted the back door then swiftly opened it and immediately widened my eyes at the huge white rabbit that suddenly materialized out of nowhere. I managed to halt my feet just in time before my face planted on it.

 

I blinked repeatedly before I became aware that it was a human sized white fluffy bunny stuffed toy with a colorful musical note attached on a silver chain necklace tied around its neck.

 

The silence behind me told me that I managed to lose him. I tried to peek at the person who was holding this massive stuffed toy. On cue, a very handsome face peeked over the bunny’s head and smiled down at me, my grin reached from ear to ear.

 

We’re currently at Yongguk’s house or should I say, mansion. It’s been two weeks since the senior farewell party and Daehyun and I have gotten closer over the past few days. Only just three days ago, he finally asked me to be his girlfriend and we’ve been hanging out at Yongguk’s place since then.

 

You have no idea how furious sunbae was when he knew about us and that we’re invading his property but he can’t do anything about it though. Daehyun oppa’s perseverance and my hardheadedness are the perfect combination to make us the indestructible couple.

 

I haven’t even noticed that he walked me all the way to the middle of the garden. He turned around to face me then smiled his most charming smile before leaning down towards me. I swiftly closed my eyes before I felt a pair of warm moist lips pressed firmly against mine.

 

I sighed into the kiss then tiptoed, deepening the kiss more. Daehyun oppa slowly pulled his lips away but still hovering a few centimeters away. He gazed lovingly into my eyes then lifted a hand to brush my flushed cheeks softly.

 

“You’re prettier each day I see you,” he whispered and I tried to ignore the hot tingles of his breath fanning on me. Before I could react, he suddenly pulled away then straightened up.

 

“I was about to surprise you with this,” he mumbled as he lifted the white bunny a bit. “But you kind of ruined it by barging through the back door.”

 

“Oops, sorry oppa. Yongguk sunbae was chasing after me for accidentally spilling the juice on his music sheets,” I fidgeted with the hem of my shirt then looked down apologetically. I heard him chuckle before ruffling my hair.

 

“It’s not your fault you’re naturally clumsy,” he chuckled more before lifting the bunny and handing it to me with a smile. “This is my first gift for you, sorry it’s too cliché—I can’t think of anything else.”

 

“This is perfect oppa,” I eyesmiled at him as I picked it up with both my arms around it. “Now I can hug you to sleep,” I chuckled at him.

 

“You think I resemble this white bunny?” he asked amused and I just nodded at him. He shook his head in amusement then took off the necklace around the bunny’s neck.

 

He stepped behind me then placed the pretty necklace around my neck. I bit my lower lip at how beautiful it was. The musical note hanging on it was gleaming under the sun. I wanted to burst in tears of joy but I don’t want to appear too emotional for this, instead I turned my head to look at him.

 

I blushed furiously as my lips gently brushed on his cheek since he was leaning closer than I had thought. I flinched back but failed when two strong arms wrapped themselves around my waist, keeping me in place.

 

“I can’t believe you’re mine right now, Jung Jungmin,” he whispered as he buried his nose in my hair, inhaling my vanilla scented shampoo.

 

“I should be the one saying that oppa,” I mumbled, keeping my head still. It was true though, Daehyun was really out of my league and I never imagined that we would be together just like that.

 

I thank the destiny and their twisted ways of pulling us together.

 

“Aigoo~ we’re not having that talk again about who’s luckier to have whom. Okay baby?” I blushed again at his words. He always calls me that but I can’t seem to grasp the reality that he’s really mine and I’m his right now.

 

I turned to look at him and our eyes instantly met. We both held each other’s gaze, not wanting to be the first one to break out, Of course, I don’t just back down easily and neither does he—so we ended up having a small glaring competition.

 

After what felt like eternity, his eyes fluttered a blink before lowering his gaze on my lips and I instantly froze. I mustered all my self control to not mirror his actions but I failed miserably as my eyes darted on his soft moist lips.

 

And now it became the—whoever-kisses-first-lose-competition.

 

By the looks of it, Daehyun oppa wants to lose willingly as he slowly crossed the tiny gap between our waiting lips.

 

Not until…

 

“What the heck! Get a room guys!”

 

“Crap! My eyes are burning”

 

“I think I’m gonna throw up my lunch guys.”

 

“Hyung, I’m still innocent! Spare me!”

 

We rapidly broke away from each other upon hearing the strings of protests and complain. I turned around then smiled at them as they approached us, still wearing that disgusted expression on their faces.

 

Who knew that these cold, mean and hardhearted bunch of guys were actually hilarious, crazy, nice and childish. It’s like they have a different mask on whenever they’re at school because looking at them right now, they’re far from those people.

 

“Shut up guys. You’re just jealous,” said Daehyun behind me and another round of protests and objections started.

 

“Wow… since when did Jungmin… turn into a bunny?” I frowned then tried to peek over the huge head of the bunny and noticed Himchan oppa staring at me.

 

“Hey! I’m still here!” I demurred then tried to kick him on the shin but he quickly dodged it.

 

“Wow, that bunny is freakishly taller than you,” commented Zelo who was behind his laughing hyung. I glared at them all one by one before stopping at Daehyun and giving him a pouty face.

 

“Guys, that’s enough. Just admit Jungmin looks cuter with her diminutive height,” Daehyun wrapped an arm around me then guided me back inside the house. I stuck my tongue at them childishly and all I could hear was a babble of groans as we went inside.

 

 

                                                                                                                      

 

“What? Mom, why? I don’t want to!” I heard Daehyun shout over the phone. We were hanging out on the balcony in one of the guest rooms since the others were being annoying and telling us to literally go get a room which we did.

 

It’s already past six and the clouds in the sky were already turning into a shade of gray as darkness starts to descend.

 

We were enjoying a plate of Cheesecake especially made by me with the help of my mom and Eunji unnie of course. It was Daehyun oppa’s favorite, speaking of—he was still inside the room, having a heated discussion with his mom.

 

I wanted to eavesdrop that badly but I know it’s none of my business so I just slumped on the bench while I waited for him.

 

Moments later, he came back looking annoyed and pissed off. He slumped on the bench next to me then proceeded to finish eating the Cheesecake.

 

I wanted to ask him what’s wrong but strongly refused against it. I know he needs to calm down first or at least give him some time to think.

 

The eerie silence between us was almost unbearable but I kept my mouth shut. I waited for him to talk first and the words that finally left his mouth took me by surprise that I almost fell out of the chair.

 

“W-What?” I asked stupidly in case I heard him wrong.

 

“Don’t ask me to repeat, please?” he pleaded before letting out a huge sigh. “Eomma wants me to study abroad and pursue my music career.”

 

That simple sentence sent waves of ache through my stinging heart. Judging by oppa’s expression, I know he’s taking this the hardest since he can’t disobey his parents.

 

Another moment of silence passed by us, he stopped eating and just staring interestedly on the floor. I was fidgeting on my lap, carefully forming comforting words in my head but no matter how I looked at it, there’s nothing I could say to comfort him because his parents are right.

 

“O-oppa…” I cursed mentally, why was I stuttering like this? Daehyun lifted his head to look at me questioningly.

 

“Oppa… you should go,” the pain I was feeling doubled over when I let out those four words.

 

“W-what?” I could see that he was taken aback by what I said. “I was hoping you would say the opposite.”

 

“Aniyo~ you need to go, you have to go. This is an opportunity for you oppa, I’m not gonna let this slip away,” even if it hurts me. I sighed mentally but on the outside I tried to give him a reassuring smile.

 

“Even if it means I would be leaving you here for years?”

 

“Y-yes…” I hesitated for a bit but nodded nevertheless. “I won’t be a good girlfriend if I’d be selfish to say kajima.”

 

“But, Jungmin—“

 

“Ani… its fine, I can wait for you here. A few years aren’t so bad, right? I know it’s your dream oppa. Please chase after it.”

 

He sighed in defeat then nodded that I was right, it was indeed his dream and I’m not gonna let myself get between that no matter how much it pains me. If I love him—which I really do, I would guarantee his happiness.

 

“My plane leaves by the end of the week,” I sighed. That’s five days away, “and until then, I would be busy with arranging some paperwork, b-but don’t worry—I promise I’ll see you when I have the time.”

 

Oppa, why are you making this harder than it already is?

 

                                                                                                              

 

Suffering…

 

Misery…

 

Grief…

 

Loneliness…

 

And regret…

 

That’s what I felt for straight five days and it’s slowly eating me alive. I haven’t seen Daehyun oppa since then but he would call and text once in a while. It eased the pain but it wasn’t enough, I want him, I need him. I need him beside me.

 

A soft knock on the door brought me out of my distress. I mumbled a low ‘come in’ before burying myself under my blankets. I heard faint footsteps walking towards me then the bed dipped as someone sat beside me.

 

“Jungmin-ah… aren’t you going? Today’s the day,” Eunji unnie’s soft voice made me turn to look at her. I could see a silhouette from her since the lights were turned off.

 

I know what today is—it’s Saturday, but not just any Saturday. It’s the day that Daehyun would be leaving. I wanted to go badly, to tell him don’t leave me but I can’t be selfish. Not now, not ever.

 

“Jungmin please… a goodbye won’t hurt. You’ve been sulking here for the past five days,” unnie was right. If anyone would walk in my room right now they would think zombies inhabited my room.

 

I was about to shoo her away when my phone suddenly rang. I knew it wasn’t oppa since he has a different ringtone. I grudgingly grabbed my phone then grimaced at the sudden brightness it caused. I looked at the screen to find out that Zelo was calling me.

 

Well, that’s a first.

 

Eunji unnie left saying to answer the phone call, which I did. The moment it got connected, I could hear four or more people talking all at once and my ears started to throb at the noises. I fought the urge to press the end call and told them to speak slowly.

 

I recognized Jongup oppa’s voice as he calmly explained to me that I need to take Daehyun back. That his parents were actually planning to live abroad permanently after he graduates, That this might be the very last day I could see or hear from him.

 

And that scared the out of me.

 

I quickly snapped from my zombie trance to get ready, one of them would pick me up and drive me to the airport. I know they don’t want Daehyun to leave as much as I, they’re his best friends for god’s sake.

 

Twenty minutes later, I was inside Youngjae’s car and we’re speeding off towards Incheon airport. The digital clock on the dashboard told us that we only have less than ten minutes before the plane officially leaves.

 

The adrenaline was pumping in my veins as I made a run towards the remaining distance of the airport since the traffic wasn’t going to move for another century or something.

 

Eight minutes left…

 

I apologized to the people I bumped with but still kept on running. The airport finally came into view and I sped up.

 

Six minutes left…

 

I cursed loudly as the security guards held me back just as I was about to enter the departure area.

 

Four minutes left…

 

“NO!!!! LET ME GO!!! Daehyun! Daehyun oppa!” I don’t care if I’m making a scene right now. Daehyun is what all it matters.

 

Four guys suddenly came out of nowhere, trying to pull me away from the guards. I looked back and saw all of them, tears were already forming at the brim of my eyes.

 

“Go find Daehyun and slap some sense into him,” Yongguk said to me then smiled. “You really do caused trouble you know that, Jung Jungmin?” for the first time, a genuine smile formed on my lips at what sunbae said. I nodded then quickly dashed inside, dodging everyone.

 

More guards came but they tried their best to hold them off.

 

Thank you guys… Thank you so much.

 

But apparently, like any other cliché movies I’ve watched…

 

It was too late…

 

One minute left…

 

No…

 

That can’t be possible…

 

The sound of the departing airplane told me that everything is over. I won’t be seeing him anymore.

 

No… Daehyun…

 

Daehyun…

 

“JUNG DAEHYUN!!!” I screamed at the floor then slumped on the wall beside me.

 

He’s gone…

 

He’s not coming back… ever.

 

I was already a sobbing mess amidst the curious people passing by. I pushed myself off the wall then made my way back.

 

I wasn’t looking at where I was going until I bumped into a hurrying passenger. Dizziness quickly flooded my mind and my vision blurred as I tried my best to regain my balance but failed. I felt my knees weakened then collapsed on the floor.

 

But the hard ground never came instead I felt something warm and soft around me. I was still too dizzy to open my eyes but I could sense that someone caught me.

 

“You aren’t going to stop being clumsy, are you?” a faint voice said. “This is why I don’t want to leave you.”

 

I used all the energy I had left to flutter my eyes open and I saw a blurred outline of a human—his soft black hair, his facial features, his smile. I knew it all too well.

 

My knight in shining armor.

 

“D-Daehyun oppa?! Wh-what are you—“

 

“Shh… I kinda escaped from my parents just as the door was about to close,” he helped me stand up then wrapped an arm around my waist for support. I stared up at him.

 

“What? Why did you do that? What about singing? What about your dreams? What about—“

 

“That’s my dream, Jungmin. But I don’t want that… I want a dream where you’d be in it. After all, you are my dream.” I can’t help but let out a soft laugh.

 

“That’s so corny.”

 

“Well… I decided to study here in Seoul instead, so I could keep an eye on you, Ms. Clumsy,” he teased.

 

“I can’t escape the inevitable, trouble always finds me.”

 

“That’s because you’re the little troublemaker—No scratch that, you are my little troublemaker.”

 

Then he leaned closer to me.

 

“And I love you Jung Jungmin. I had and always will.”

 

Soft lingering lips were pressed tightly against mine.

 

“I love you too Jung Daehyun No matter where you go, we're always tied together."

 

 


                                                                                                           

 

 

 

Awwwwww~ and it's done T^T (It's a short story remember?)
Was the ending too cliché or whut? I dunno but thank you so much for reading this. A bigger thank you for those who upvoted, subscribed and commented on this story.


Epilogue is coming up... Don't miss it aratji?

KAMSAHAMNIDA!


-Chaeminxxi