String 1 - Mr. Perfect

Tied By Music (Short Story)

 

                                                                      

                                                                                 

 

                                                                                                              

 

 

[JUNGMIN’S POV]

 

 

“Jungmin wake up!”

 

“Yah! Wake up!”

 

“JUNG JUNGMIN, GET YOUR LAZY UP!”

 

A loud, piercing scream echoed throughout the entire house, disturbing the peaceful silence of the morning. I grimaced as Goosebumps spread my entire body but wasn’t enough to wake me up. A whole minute of silence made me think that my annoying big sister already gave up on me and left but I was gravely mistaken.

 

Warm hands suddenly grabbed both my cold ankles that were sticking out of the blanket and before I could register everything on my mind, I was being yanked forcefully out of my bed and in just seconds, my cheeks came in contact with the cold floor. I groaned loudly at the stinging pain on my cheek then I heard a faint thud on the floor as my sister let go of my ankles.

 

“Oops. Sorry little sis,” I heard her sarcastic voice just behind me.

 

Grabbing my pillow that was hanging on the edge of the bed, I quickly sat up then swung my right arm with force, throwing the pillow on her direction. Her amused chuckle told me that she caught it just in time. Damn your fast reflexes.

 

“What time is it?” I asked in my morning voice as I let out a big yawn. My eyelids slowly flattered open to look at my older sister already dressed in her mustard yellow uniform.

 

“Time for school—duh,” she rolled her eyes then threw the pillow she caught back to me and hit my face before storming out of my room.

 

Yeah, this is me. An ordinary girl with a cup of laziness and clumsiness that always gets me in trouble, a spoonful of craziness but playful and fun, a teaspoon of cute looks, sharp wits and humor and a pinch of height. Sigh. Mix it altogether and you get me, Jung Jungmin.

 

The annoying and bossy girl earlier was my only sibling and older sister, Jung Eunji. Although we’re three years apart, we actually look exactly the same that most people mistake us for twins except I’m three inches shorter.

 

“Jungmin, hurry up!” her irritated voice shouted out from the bottom of the stairs. Grabbing my backpack quickly, not even bothering to comb my black shoulder length hair. I rushed out of my room then sprinted down the stairs just in time before she locked the door— and she means it.

 

Half an hour later, we’re walking inside Seoul Arts High, a school made for talented people in the field of Music and Arts. It’s already the last week of second semester and after that… another school year. I just started my first year here while my sister is at her senior year already so basically, everybody knows her while me? I’m known as the ‘Little Troublemaker’ or ‘Eunji’s baby sister’. I doubt anyone even knows my name. Story of my life.

 

“Kyaaah~ Eunji-yah!” a loud, ear-shattering scream pierced through the whole school. I winced as I look up to see unnie’s best friend running towards us. She’s at our house everyday even on weekends but I’m not that close to her, I don’t hang with people from school that often.

 

“Aigoo~ Bomi-ah! Could you be any louder?” unnie ran up to her midway and they both threw each other in their arms and were jumping up and down excitedly. I just had to roll my eyes at them.

 

“Calm down. You just saw each other yesterday,” I shook my head as I walked past them, plugging in my earphones.

 

“Eunji, your baby sister is mean,” I heard Bomi whining behind me and I could already picture that pout on her lips. Ugh. See what I mean? I have a different name in this school. I just waved my hand over my shoulder, telling unnie that I’ll go ahead.

 

I made my usual way towards the school building, ignoring every other students that walked passed me. I glanced up at the huge wall clock on the front then cursed under my breath when I saw I only have ten minutes to get to my class. A familiar head sticking out from the window on the second floor got my attention and I did a double look before I finally noticed that it was Jung Daehyun. He was staring at the distance with a soft expression on his face, it was weird since I always see him in a poker face state.

 

Since I set foot on this school, I already fell in love with him. I still remember that tingling feeling on my skin, that pounding of my heart, that screaming in my brain saying that he’s the one and of course, the shame and humiliation that went with it.

 

It was on the first day of school, when my sister was being a pain in the by suddenly ditching me. I got lost on my way to my first class and I didn’t know where I was going. I was aimlessly walking on the hallway, trying not to make unnecessary noises as I carefully sneak a quick look on each classroom to see if that’s the one I should be in right now.

 

A loud footsteps coming up from the stairs made me halt. I know I’ll be in big trouble for roaming around the hallway during class time. Without even thinking, I quickly dashed inside the room on my left since I don’t have any more option. It’s hide or be caught.

 

I was still facing the door, peeking at the small window just in time when the principal emerged from the stairs then vanished on the other side of the hall. I sighed in relief then noticed that everything was quiet.

 

Please tell me this room is empty. Please tell me this room is empty. Please?

 

“Ehem… I’m very sure this isn’t your class. This is the senior’s chemistry class, what are you doing here?” I heard a stern voice from behind me and my body literally froze on the spot.

 

I take it back. Just kill me instead. Anyone please?

 

I turned around very slowly, my eyes glued on the floor like it’s the most interesting thing in the world. I quickly bowed formally, keeping my head low.

 

“Chwisonghamnida! I’m really sorry. I’m new here and I don’t know where my class is. I’m lost,” I managed to blurt out without even stuttering. I heard half of the class holding back their laughter as they snickered at me.

 

I mustered enough courage to finally look up and my eyes instantly fell on a pair of chestnut brown eyes staring back at my dark brown ones, those were the most beautiful eyes I’ve ever seen and those eyes were attached to the most handsome guy I’ve ever met. I was in a trance, like his eyes were pulling me in. It was love at first sight, heck I didn’t even know I believe in such romantic crappy stuffs until now.

 

His black hair was a bit messy but it looked y on him, it was covering his eyebrows a bit and it fell just above his eyes, and making it even more captivating. He was tall, maybe seven or eight inches taller than me and I was literally staring up at him. He’s just perfect, He’s everything I want. My heart pounded loudly in my chest and I could feel my cheeks heating up.

 

“Jung Daehyun, please go back to your seat,” the teacher’s stern voice rang in my head, snapping me from my daydream. The guy tore his eyes away from mine; much to my disappointment then closed the book I didn’t notice he was holding then went back to his desk and said nothing.

 

Jung Daehyun… that’s his name… wait, he’s also a Jung?

 

“And you, I’ll let you slide since you’re new here but you should know that it’s every student’s responsibility to know your schedule and assigned rooms before the bell rings, you were given a guide book, weren’t you?” I nodded a bit but didn’t excuse myself that I don’t know how to read maps. ”You won’t get a detention but I’ll report this to the head for the trouble you caused of disturbing my class.”

 

I widened my eyes at her. No! Please, anything but that.

 

“You heard seonsaengnim. Now get your out of our class, little troublemaker,” a scary looking guy said sitting on the front next to Daehyun. Half of the class burst into a fit of laughter at what he just called me. I’m not even causing trouble on purpose but I guess my clumsiness gets the better of me that I always find myself in trouble.

 

“Hey! Shut up! Don’t talk to my baby sister like that!” a really familiar voice shouted from the back of the class and I froze again.

 

Of course she would be in this class too.

 

“What?! She’s your sister?” the scary guy replied but before she could say anything more embarrassing, the teacher rapped her hand loudly on the table, silencing her class at once.

 

“Bang Yongguk, that’s enough. Ms. Jung, please guide your sister accordingly next time. And you…” I flinched as she turned to look at me. “Go back to your class.”

 

I looked down then nodded. I don’t want to look at my sister right now. She just had to say that.

 

“Bye bye, Eunji’s baby sister,” I heard that guy, whose name was Yongguk said and the whole class snickered again as I stepped out of the room looking like a human tomato.

 

I shook my head at that embarrassing memory then tore my eyes away from the gorgeous guy reluctantly.

 

I’m just a nobody in this school that I’m not even surprised why Daehyun didn’t pay any attention to me. He was way up there while I’m down here. He’s definitely out of my league.

 

 After grabbing my books from my locker, I made my way towards my class. I just don’t want to remember that most embarrassing moment of my life again and now you know how I got those crappy nicknames but I had to admit, if that didn’t happen then I wouldn’t have met my Mr. Perfect. I guess there’s always a price to pay.

 

I slid in my room only to be knocked over by someone really tall as he walked past me. Lifting my head, I saw one of those guys on Yongguk’s group heading in my class.

 

Oh yeah. How could I forgot, Zelo was in this class too.

 

He sat way back in the class, next to the window with his headphones pressed tightly on his ears. I just sighed as I made a bee line towards my desk on the front then placed my books on the table. I pulled my earphones out just in time the school bell echoed throughout the whole school.

 

 

                                                                                                                           

 

“Hey, baby sis! Want to join us?” Eunji unnie yelled from across the cafeteria. Since we’re only wrapping things up before the end of school, my morning classes were really boring. Lunchtime came and I was still standing on my spot, holding a tray of instant Ramyeon, Kimchi Stew, a glass of Iced Tea and bottled water.

 

I grimaced at the name she just called me. I told her a million times not to call me that in school but she just said it was cute. Pffft. Cute my .

 

“No thanks,” I replied back through my gritted teeth then made my way towards the empty table near the door so I could just leave after.

 

It’s not that I hate hanging out with her, I just don’t like to sit over there with her group of friends while they all gossip about guys and whatever. I just don’t dig that stuff. I have only one guy in my life— that I couldn’t get.

 

I finished my lunch too quickly, don’t ask, I love food. I grabbed my glass still full of Iced Tea because I love drinking it under the sun. Eager to get out of this packed cafeteria, I hurriedly stood up then abruptly turned around just in time someone barged in through the door.

 

My mind wasn’t fast enough to react and before I knew it, my glass was already half empty as half of its content was spilled on someone’s uniform, turning it into a sickly color of brown.

 

I heard several loud gasps and laughter around me and I didn’t dare to look up. I’m going to die a very painful and slow death if I do, so my eyes were glued on the shirt. The whole entire cafeteria was at a standstill as everyone’s attention was on me… or us.

 

A hand suddenly snatched the tumbler I was holding and thankfully, it was made of plastic or else it would be in tiny bits of pieces as it was thrown on the floor with such force that it bounced back a little. I visibly flinched at the sound, staring at it as it rolled away.

 

“What the hell do you use your eyes for!” he yelled at me and my breath was caught up in my throat. I dared myself to look up slowly. I already knew who it was, judging from the tone of the voice but I was silently praying that I was wrong.

 

Nope. I was right… and dead. Seriously, my clumsiness will be the cause of my death. It would be something like: Jung Jungmin, died because of extreme clumsiness. Well, you get my point.

 

I stared at the pair of cold furious eyes that almost screamed bloody murder. I blinked rapidly, hoping he would vanish but nope he’s still standing right there.

 

Bang Yongguk.

 

His face was red with rage and if it’s possible, I could even see steam coming out of his ears. That’s how mad he is for ruining his school uniform.

 

His other members were staring at me in both awe and pity and my eyes fell on Daehyun, he was showing a poker face, like he didn’t care at all what would happen to me. It pained my heart honestly, but in his eyes I’m just another student and there’s nothing I can do about it.

 

Yongguk sunbae took a threatening step forward and I almost jumped ten feet in the air, but I didn’t, I just flinched as his stare was seizing me up.

 

“JUNGMIN, RUN!” someone shout from across the cafeteria and I know it was unnie. Everyone’s attention was on her, creating a diversion so I took this as my chance to run for my life.

 

With all the energy I had inside my body, I shoved Yongguk backward, hard! Who knew I had that kind of force? I guess you can’t judge a person by her height.

 

He stumbled backwards but s caught him just in time. I didn’t bother to stay and have a nice chitchat as I quickly sprinted out of the cafeteria, the double door banging loudly behind me. I could hear loud cheers erupting from there and soon, a loud bang came after and my heart pounded in my chest.

 

He was running after me.

 

I didn’t dare to look back but s calling after him is enough proof that he’s gaining on me. But I didn’t stop, he’ll strangle me like a damn chicken.

 

Good thing I was an athletic type of person so it wasn’t hard to push myself faster. I felt my thighs loosening up and I was dashing across the wide field with ease. Another advantage of being light and small but it’s too early for a victory dance as he was still hot on my trails.

 

I need to do something to shake him off but what?

 

Something shining against the sun caught my attention and I squinted at the garden hose that was lying on the grass near the water fountain.

 

Bingo! I just hope it’s connected to a faucet.

 

I looked behind to see sunbae already panting away in a far distance but still running after me with s running after him.

 

I know, this is freaking hilarious and if I wasn’t running for my dear life right now I would be laughing my off at how ridiculous they look.

 

I focused my attention on the hose as I was nearing it. With one swift motion so he wouldn’t caught what I was doing, I took off the metal cap and water instantly poured out of the hose, flooding the entire place. I smirked at the muddy soil.

 

He really won’t see this coming. Oh god I wish someone was taking a video right now. I kept on running, heading towards the school building and soon, a very loud scream followed by a string of curses filled my ears.

 

HECK YEAH, I’M COOL!

 

I turned my head around to see Yongguk covered with mud with his planted on it. He tried to get up but slid off again, hitting first on the ground. Ouch, that’s gotta hurt. s caught up to him then helped him up.

 

I didn’t bother to laugh at them no matter how much I wanted too because I need to get away from them since there’s no way in hell he won’t get me back for it. I don’t care though, it’s almost end of school and I won’t be seeing him until the next lifetime.

 

“YAH! GET BACK HERE YOU DAMN LITTLE TROUBLEMAKER!”