String 6 - Love Song

Tied By Music (Short Story)

                             

                                                                                              

 

                                                                                                                  

 

He looked so perfect that I appeared too underdressed in front of him. I bit my lower lip, feeling insecure. I slowly looked down, cursing at myself for wearing such plain outfit.

 

I felt his hands lean on the railings behind me, trapping me between his arms and I suddenly got conscious. I tightened my grip on the bouquet I was holding.

 

“You’re really pretty today Jungmin-ah. You match the flowers perfectly,” I heard him whispered huskily above me and my blood rushed up my cheeks. Still, I couldn’t find my voice. This was all new to me, him acting like this all of a sudden.

 

“I owe you an explanation, huh? I bet you got more confused by those,” he said, pertaining to the little notes on the roses. I simply nodded then finally looked up at him.

 

“Y-you… already… from the start… h-how?” my voice came out broken because I was damn nervous. All the confidence I had seem to left on the floors below.

 

“Have I mentioned to you that you look cute when blushing?” he smirked at me, making my cheeks redder. Before I could say anything, he held my hand then guided me towards the table. He pulled a chair for me and I gladly sat down before he occupied the space in front of me.

 

“It was unexpected really,” he started as he took off the stainless coverings of the trays, revealing the delicious food underneath. “Actually, I already saw you before you accidentally went in our classroom.”

 

I shot him a mixture of shocked and confused look. He saw me first before I saw him? Really?

 

“Eunji was outside the faculty that time. I was about to approach her to ask for our class schedule when one of her friend came and pulled her away excitedly. You came out of the office moments later looking like a deer in a headlight,” he paused to laugh a bit while he was slicing my roasted beef.

 

So Eunji unnie didn’t ditch me on purpose. I bet it was her loud friend Bomi who took her away.

 

“You don’t know how funny your face was when you saw your sister wasn’t there anymore,” he continued, still chuckling.

 

“Hey I was really scared that time! I felt like a little mouse inside a huge maze,” I glared at him playfully.

 

“Exactly,” he laughed again as he placed the plate with sliced meat in front of me. “I thought you would be just fine but it seems like you have a huge magnet on your forehead that attracted trouble,” he smirked at me as my face went pale.

 

“W-wait… don’t tell me you saw that?!” I squeaked a bit as he nodded.

 

“You bet I did. You were very busy glancing around that you didn’t notice the wet floor sign on the floor and you—“

 

“Okay okay I get it. No need to refresh me from that horrible memory,” he laughed louder because what came next was already pretty obvious.

 

Yes I did slip on the floor and I landed on my real hard. All of them laughed at me but some were nice enough to help me stand up and clearly, this guy in front of me was with the laughing group.

 

“So you just laughed at me, huh?”

 

“What? Don’t blame me, it was pure entertainment.” I just rolled my eyes at him then started eating. Even though we just started getting close to each other yesterday, I already feel like I’m comfortable with him, like I could be myself, my clumsy self when I’m with him.

 

“I was intrigued by you for a moment though, how could anyone be as clumsy as you? Seriously? The bright yellow sign board was just right there,” and he kept on laughing for a moment before he fell serious.

 

“And then there I was… reciting the periodic table of elements went someone suddenly barged in,” he looked up at me then smiled, his eyes reflecting nostalgia.

 

“I do look stupid that time, don’t I? I mean who barges in a random classroom just like that?” I chuckled as I stared at him.

 

“You do,” he chuckled. “Everything you do is funny. You have no idea how surprised I was to see the same clumsy girl from earlier. How could a girl cause trouble twice in less than half an hour?”

 

I quickly flustered at the memory then glared playfully at him. “Hey that wasn’t funny, that was embarrassing!” I defended then continued eating with a pout on my face.

 

“It’s entertaining for me but I hadn’t had enough room to laugh because I was beyond surprised,” he looked at me, completely amused.

 

“You were showing a poker face that time!” I snapped at him.

 

“Yes I did because I didn’t want you to show how stunned I was,” he smirked at my confused expression.

 

“Why is that?“

 

“Because only then I noticed how incredibly cute you are when you were flustered and blushing,” I gave him a disbelief expression but he was serious. I felt my heart instantly picking up its speed.

 

“C-could we move on from that… that scene,” I nervously swallowed a piece of meat then resumed eating, suddenly getting conscious at his gaze on me.

 

“Okay okay,” he sighed in defeat, chuckling a bit before turning serious. “But seriously, when you stepped in our classroom, I became more interested about you because in my three years of studying there, I never encountered like that before.”

 

I groaned because he just made me sound like the clueless new student. He chuckled at my reaction but then continued. “But the moment you looked up and I finally saw your eyes, I instantly had that feeling I couldn’t comprehend. It’s just… my heart started beating and—“

 

“Love at first sight?” I cut him off with that question.

 

He furrowed his eyebrows a bit. “What? Love at first sight? You believe in one of those?” he asked amused but I was dead serious.

 

“I don’t know about you but that’s what I felt the moment I saw you,” I shrugged casually and his forehead creased more.

 

“S-so… you like me since then? How come you didn’t tell me?”

 

“It’s not something you just blurt out to a guy who doesn’t even notice you.”

 

“But I did… and I thought… you’re the one who didn’t notice me,” I could feel the sadness behind his tone.

 

“What? Have you seen the way I gaped at you?”

 

“I thought you find me irritating or even mad at me.”

 

“What? Why would I be?”

 

“Don’t you remember? I gave you that nickname you hate so much—little troublemaker.”

 

“No you didn’t… Yongguk—“

 

“Heard me whisper it beside him and he thought it was funny to exclaim it to the whole class,” he cut me off, explaining what happened. “Didn’t you hear me?”

 

“I didn’t… I was busy ignoring everyone’s laughter.”

 

“Well… I did. Yongguk hyung found it amusing along with the other nickname he invented himself,” I went quiet all of a sudden, thinking back to that scene. I wasn’t really paying attention to anyone and I just found out now that Daehyun was responsible for it.

 

“Are you mad about it?” he asked worried about my sudden silence. I quickly shook my head at him.

 

“No it’s fine… I already got used to people calling me that,” I smiled at him to say that it was okay.

 

“You know, sometimes I get irritated when other students call you that,” he said while chewing on a piece of meat. I just stared at him in confusion since I was busy eating too.

 

“Because I gave you that name, I’m the only one who's suppose to call you that,” I burst out laughing at his childish reason but I noticed he wasn’t laughing back so I immediately stopped.

 

“Wait you’re serious?” he just nodded.

 

“That’s not the only thing I like about you though,” he suddenly said after a moment of silence. I couldn’t help but feel tingles at the word 'like'. I just nodded for him to continue.

 

“That day at the cafeteria, I was seriously damn afraid that hyung might lift his hand at you. He was really angry, you know? So I stayed behind him in case he would hurt you.”

 

“W-what? You were showing a poker face that time too.”

 

“How do you—are you watching or staring at me?”

 

“No.”

 

“Right,” he said teasingly, I just rolled my eyes. “Anyway, I was staring at you… in a poker face but I was really worried Jungmin-ah,” the way he said my name again made my stomach twisted in delight. The way my name rolled on his tongue like he was meant to say my name.

 

“You don’t have to worry. I may be clumsy and always caught in trouble but I don’t back down,” I smiled at him reassuringly. He suddenly propped his elbow on the table then tilted his head to side in an amusing manner. I frowned at his gesture.

 

“Just when I thought you wouldn’t be more interesting, you did. You pushed the campus badass and even slipped him on the mud but still managed to get away with it. Another thing that I haven’t encountered in my three years here,” his eyes sparkled with awe and amusement.

 

“I just did what I have to do,” I shrugged.

 

“You’re clumsy but you know how to stand up on your own with head held high. You really amazed me Jung Jungmin,” he mumbled in a serious tone and the butterflies came back again.

 

“I was quick to escape though, I ran towards—hey wait a minute, you didn’t tell me you were the intruder!” I retorted at him.

 

“Intruder? Oh you mean for sneaking up on you on that old music room. Sorry, I didn’t really know it was you,” he really looked apologetic and I suddenly felt guilty for blurting that out suddenly.

 

“You have no idea how scared I was when I found out. You should’ve said something you know or you could’ve just come in,” I mumbled, glancing at him a bit.

 

“I know… but I can’t. I don’t want anyone to get the wrong idea. What if it wasn’t you?”

 

“And that’s bad?” I asked confused.

 

“Yes it is. Because… I can’t seem to look at any other girls even if they’re some piano prodigy or something.”

 

“You can’t seem to look at any other girls? What do you mean?” I know I sounded dumb for asking that question but I have to be sure. Daehyun let out a breath then lowered his fork. He stared at me straight in the eyes.

 

“I’m going to tell you the truth now so listen carefully okay?” I nodded at him.

 

“Ever since that first day, I was keeping an eye on you, stealing glances at you and smiling at you from afar. I can’t approach you because you’re my hoobae and you’re Eunji’s sister. I always pulled that poker face expression but deep inside I just… I just want to smile at you.”

 

And my whole world stopped.

 

I gasped a bit as I remembered all those times. He really was looking at me but I thought he was threatening me with his stare or something that I always looked away.

 

“A lot of girls stare at you, you know. They were fawning all over you,” I sighed.

 

“Really? They do?”

 

“What? You didn’t notice? They were always following behind you guys.”

 

“Nope, I didn’t notice,” he paused for a bit making me frown. “Because you’re the only one I noticed.”

 

Because you’re the only one I noticed.

 

You’re the only one I noticed.

 

The only one I noticed.

 

His words replayed in my mind like a broken record. I bit my lower lip at the overwhelming feeling that washed over me. All this time he noticed me but I was too insecure because I lack confidence and I doubted myself. I mean reality did hit me, he was perfect, he was popular while me—I’m the infamous clutz and a nobody. How could someone like him notice someone like me?

 

“Yah Jungmin-ah?” I felt a soft warm hand above my own as Daehyun reached out to grab my hand. I instantly snapped from my thoughts to look up at him.

 

“Oh? What?”

 

“You weren’t listening, were you? I’m just telling you that I’m serious,” he didn’t have to say that, it was written all over his face.

 

“I-I know… It’s just… it’s so unexpected…” I trailed off.

 

“You know, I was relieved when I found out that you and my mystery girl were the same person,” he squeezed my hand on his then smiled at me.

 

“Mystery girl?” I chuckled at what he had called it.

 

“Say I’m crazy or whatever but I really thought that my mystery girl was the one destined for me because the moment I heard her play and sing, I was drawn into her. You know like…” he paused, thinking for a more suitable word.

 

He stood up from his chair and I followed his action. We walked towards the railings still holding hands.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like the music itself tied us together and brought us to each other.”

 

“Like a destiny?” I asked, my eyes sparkling. He nodded seriously.

 

“When I saw my mystery girl sprinting down the stairs, you have no idea how astonished I was. That moment I felt like… I found you… That’s when I finally decide that I need to confess—I found the one who would complete my love song,” he gazed at me and even though it was slightly dimmed, I could feel the affection and sincerity emanating from his eyes.

 

“I heard you, you know,” he whispered since we were already this close to each other.

 

“Heard what?” I asked innocently.

 

“Those three sweet words you said at the old music room,” I slowly widened my eyes at what he meant. I quickly turned away, blushing madly. I really forgot about that one.

 

“Hey… look at me.” He cooed sweetly but I didn’t turn. Silence washed over us for a moment and the faint music from below was playing a slow, sweet song. I tried to calm down my heart but it’s so difficult. My hand was perfectly wrapped around his.

 

“Jungmin…” he called again after a moment of silence.

 

“Can I have this dance?” he must’ve heard the music. He held my chin firmly then turned my head to look at him. His face was soft when he held my other hand. I was already breathing through my mouth when he lifted both of my hands and placed them around his neck.

 

Then I forgot about everything as I gave my attention to this handsome guy in front of me. I laced my arms around his neck, getting a bit conscious at our closeness. He suddenly wrapped his arms around my waist then pulled me closer. I took a quick breath in as our bodies were pressed together, we fit perfectly.

 

We slowly started to sway with the gentle music, both of us were drowned with each other’s eyes as we continued to stare. Our face were merely four inches apart and I’m already lacking in air.

 

“Good thing you came though. I was afraid you wouldn’t show up since I know how protective your sister is,” he whispered, his hot breath fanning against me.

 

“Actually, I sneaked out,” I stuck my tongue out playfully making him chuckle.

 

“Well you have to… I asked Zelo to pick you up,” he smiled but I stared at him in shock.

 

He did… what?

 

Well that explains why Zelo magically appeared in our street. I just dropped my question since that already explains it and just smiled at him.

 

“Thank you Daehyun sunbae.”

 

“Oppa…”

 

“What?”

 

“Call me Daehyun oppa. It sounded better plus I won’t be a senior at Seoul Arts anymore,” that memory of him going to college saddened me but I didn’t show it. I don’t want to be a hindrance between him and his dream to be a singer.

 

We continued dancing and the slow dance doesn't seem to stop. I find it very suspicious since the people below were probably too drunk to have a slow dance. I glanced up at Daehyun and saw a satisfied smirk on his face. Something tells me he’s behind all of this, like he had planned it already.

 

He is so sweet, isn’t he?

 

Daehyun suddenly leaned his forehead into mine and felt tingles all over at our sudden contact. He was staring straight into my eyes without blinking and each second I stare into his, I felt myself getting lost into those brown orbs.

 

His eyes then flickered down and I immediately stiffened. He was staring at my lips then at my eyes and I already knew what would happen.

 

I ignored the wild beating of my heart, the warm sensation flowing through my body, the butterflies dancing in my stomach and just stared at his soft inviting lips in anticipation.

 

I stopped breathing altogether when he crossed the gap between our lips. I quickly closed my eyes.

 

This is it. It may have failed last time but I know it’ll happen this time—it has to.

 

I waited…

 

And waited…

 

But his lips never came. Groaning inwardly, I snapped my eyes open only to be greeted by his amused expression. Blood rushed up my cheeks, I was lucky it was a bit dark or else he would notice the redness of my cheeks.

 

“Were you waiting for something?” he grinned teasingly.

 

I really can’t believe this guy. Way to ruin a mood.

 

I pursed my lips at him then untangled my arms before pulling away from him. I sighed from the lack of that warm feeling but I have to give him what he deserves—a cold shoulder.

 

I turned around then faced the city lights, leaning on the railings.

 

“Hey come on… I was just teasing. I love it when you blush, you know that?” still ignoring him.

 

“Okay fine… the truth is… I just wanted to hear those three words you said at the old music room,” so this is what it’s about.

 

“Please?” he cooed in my ear sending shivers on my spine but I tried to ignore it. I’m supposed to be mad here, hello!

 

“Jungmin…” his voice was softer this time and I felt like giving in. “Please? Please…” he was silently begging and I let out a huge sigh of defeat before turning around to face him.

 

Just say it Jungmin, that’s how you really feel anyway. Come on say it.

 

“J-Jung…” I took a big breath then smiled. “Daehyun oppa… saranghae.” I mumbled, his eyes immediately flickered with want.

 

“Say it again,” his voice was husky, he was standing just in front of me, both of his hands were on his side. I bit my lower lip.

 

“Daehyun oppa…. Saranghae.”

 

“One more time please…”

 

“I love you, Daehyun op—“

 

Before I could even finish, he cut me off with a pair of soft, warm lips pressed against mine. His nose was pressing on my cheek as he tilted his head to deepen the kiss.

 

Both of his hands were on the railings, trapping me and that’s when I gave everything. I closed my eyes, kissing him back, his soft lips were moving against mine and it felt so right, like our lips fitted perfectly. I felt his arms snake on my waist as he pulled me closer and I lifted my hands to cup both of his warm cheeks.

 

My first kiss is with the guy I first fell in love with at first sight. I knew we were stupidly blind to notice each other’s true feelings but music made a way for us to listen to each other’s heartbeat. We followed the musical notes that lead to each other and now… I can truly say that, I can sing to my heart’s content because I found that love song I’ve been dying to hear and both of us produced the perfect melody for it.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                

 

 

This short story is about to end soon TT Please give some a few thoughts about this story... anything, you can even criticize.

Huge thanks to those who subscribed ^^

 

-Chaeminxxi