String 4 - You & Me

Tied By Music (Short Story)

                                                                                              

 

                                                                                                                  

 

 

“J-Jung Daehyun sunbae??” I blinked. I might have forgotten how to breathe again, that or maybe there’s no air anymore.

 

Okay calm down, Jungmin. Don’t creep out the poor guy.

 

“W-what are you… doing h-here?” my voice cracked and I wanted to hit my head hard. I sound like a damn frog right now. He chuckled again. Please stop doing that to my heart.

 

He shrugged then looked on the floor. “The school clinic scares me.”

 

What the heck is he talking…

 

“Oh gosh! Is Yongguk sunbae okay? I-I didn’t mean it, you know. I-I was just angry, no irri—“

 

His laugh cut me off. “He’s fine, don’t worry. He won’t die just because he got hit by a ball.”

 

“Yeah, on the groin,” I added as an afterthought. He laughed harder. I can get used to that laugh.

 

“Yeah, that must’ve hurt,” he grimaced at that thought. I’m not a guy so I don’t really know. An awkward silence enveloped us and it’s choking me—scratch that, his whole perfection is choking me.

 

“U-uhm… sunbae? Did you throw that ball for me to catch?” I asked slowly. I was really curious about it. He lifted his gaze then looked straight in my eyes.

 

I NEED OXYGEN!!!!!

 

He averted his gaze again and I sighed inwardly. “I-I don’t know… it’s just… it doesn’t seem fair,” is he stuttering right now? Oh my god he’s so cuuuuute.

 

“Because you’re both guys with a ball each and I’m just a defenseless little girl?” I mumbled softly, trailing my eyes on the floor.

 

“N-no! I don’t mean it like that. Sorry. That kinda came out wrong, huh?” he chuckled awkwardly, rubbing his nape shyly. Gaaah. How cute can this creature get?

 

“To make you feel better… I’m kinda impressed of you,” he admitted, still averting his gaze. I blushed furiously at what he said. Good thing he wasn’t looking at me right now.

 

“R-really?” I mentally facepalmed. Can’t my reply get any shorter?

 

“Yeah… you’re the only girl who stood up to hyung. He always walks around like he owned the place. Don’t get me wrong, I respect him. It’s just—“

 

“Too much irritating? Annoying?  Bothering?” I cut him off, knowing what he would say.

 

“Uhm… I was gonna say out of place. But… those work too,” he chuckled, shaking his head in amusement. I chuckled with him.

 

“So I’m the only girl that did that to him?” I asked.

 

“Yeah… you really are the little troublemaker.”

 

I groaned. “Not those nicknames again.”

 

“Why? They sound cute to me.”

 

“I know right? I’m also Eunji’s baby sister,” I grinned innocently, making him laugh at what I just did.

 

“You’re funny, you know that?” he eyesmiled at me and my world momentarily stopped. I fought the urge to clench my heart because it’s seriously pounding loudly right now.

 

“You’re always funny since the moment I saw you,” he said nonchalantly while me— Already hyperventilating.

 

So he did notice me when I barged in their class almost eleven months ago. Ugh. Stupid, of course he noticed you after making a scene like that. I tried to think that was the reason or else my heart would be bursting out of my chest right now.

 

I looked elsewhere so I won’t get distracted by his enchanting brown eyes. I looked up to see outside and saw the sky turning an orangish color with a tinge of yellow and pink. It was breathtaking.

 

I snapped from my trance to see Daehyun standing up and walking over me. He sat beside me, his right arm slightly brushing on my left arm and I could feel it healing already. He pulled his left knee up, resting his left arm on it. I noticed he was still wearing our gym clothes just like me.

 

“Wow… the only thing we need now is popcorn.” He laughed lightly as he looked out at the breathtaking view of the sunset sky.

 

I stared at his face while he was busy looking out. The orange glow filled the whole room, reflecting his flawless face. He was shining in my eyes and I was caught in a trance again. He was close, his face was so close I could trace my finger on his perfect jawline. He was so close to me now. Is this really for real? I don’t wanna wake up from this.

 

He shifted from beside me and I instantly winced in pain as he accidently hit my left arm. He felt it then quickly looked at me with a worried look.

 

“A-are you okay? Wait… does your arm hurt?” he noticed I was rubbing my arm so I had no choice but to tell the truth.

 

“Yeah… Yongguk sunbae kinda… hit my arm earlier,” I looked away because I knew the pink tinge in my cheeks is already visible. He’s so freaking close.

 

“Oh right… I can’t do anything about it but I can ease the pain for a bit,” and before I could protest, he slowly grabbed my shoulder in place using his right hand then he held my elbow with his left. My heart would probably be doing acrobatics right now, seriously.

 

He starts to rotate my arm clockwise, keeping his eyes on my arm in case I would feel pain but I didn’t. Okay maybe a bit but his eyes sparkling was already distracting me from the pain.

 

He’s so caring and sweet. It’s like I’m seeing a different side of Jung Daehyun. Not the cold and bored him that I always met in the hallways.

 

I tried to ignore the sparks from our skin.  We were both wearing a short sleeved shirt so I could really feel his soft warm skin against mine right now. It felt right… it felt perfect.

 

I don’t know how long I was staring at him while his eyes were still fixed on my elbow particularly. I was taking in every feature of his—His messy black hair, His forehead sparkling with a few sweats, his eyebrows that were almost covered by his hair, his thick eyelashes, his almond shaped eyes, his perfectly formed nose, his oh-so-soft lips and his defined chin.

 

“You’re so perfect,” I whispered almost inaudibly, oblivious that I said that out loud—again.

 

“Huh? What?” he stopped massaging my arm then looked up at me in confusion.

 

. Wrong move.

 

The moment our eyes instantly met, his confused look dropped only to be replaced by… stunned? Dazed? Mesmerized? I don’t know.

 

His eyes were searching mine and I found myself searching his too. The fact that we’re only like four inches apart isn’t helping also. My heart would probably win the gold medal in acrobat right now, that’s how badly it’s thumping against my ribs.

 

I absentmindedly bit my lower lip to stop myself from clenching my chest.

 

Again… wrong move.

 

His eyes instantly darted on my lips and I swear my breath was knocked out of my lungs. I used all my self control to fight the urge to look back on his lips. I was chanting different spells and enchantment to not look at his…

 

Oh what the heck…

 

I darted my eyes on his soft lips and oh god. They’re inviting and tempting me.

 

No stop… Gaaah. Daehyun stop leaning.

 

Yes he was leaning in and as much as I want to crash my lips on his and kiss him until the next lifetime, I can’t because it’s all happening too fast. I tried everything I could to lean backward until I can’t anymore because if I do, then I’d be lying down on the floor with this handsome creature right on top of me.

 

Oh crap. I give up.

 

I slowly closed my eyes as he was two inches away. I literally held my breath then clenched my fist tightly. Is this how I’m going to have my first kiss? With my first love—the guy I fell in love at first sight?

 

Tell me what I did in my past life to deserve this. Did I save the president from the zombie apocalypse? Did I donate blood to a swarm of friendly mosquitoes? Or did I saved a lost little puppy from—wait a minute.

 

Where is Daehyun’s soft lips?

 

I felt a soft thud on my shoulder and my eyes snapped open. I tilted my head to look at him, he was leaning his head on my shoulder and not moving.

 

Say whuuuuuttttt???!!!

 

“Sorry… I’m so tired,” I heard him mumble softly, heck I could even feel his lips moving. I instantly blushed different shades of red as I remembered I actually thought of kissing him.

 

And he just wanted to rest on my shoulder?!

 

RUWERHUHFJEFNEHNVKJVLWHFEWHFEKNVKDNKEJGEUWH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Deep breaths… inhale… inhale… inhale… okay I’m good.

 

I slowly poked his shoulder, slightly getting conscious that I looked sweaty and probably smell like one too. “H-hey… you can’t sleep here. It’s almost closing time,” I whispered so I won’t disturb him. He really did look tired.

 

I was expecting him to say—‘oh yeah, you’re right. Let’s go home’ or something along the lines but his next words clearly caught me off guard that if he wasn’t leaning on me, I would’ve fainted on the floor and combust into flames.

 

“You… smell… nice.”

 

Dear Angel, please guide my soul towards heaven that I may rest in peace.

 

 

 

 

“Sorry about earlier,” Daehyun said, rubbing his nape uncomfortably. Well, after that heart stopping comment he gave, the librarian’s voice broke off our romantic ambiance, saying that it’s closing time. So I woke him up and we left reluctantly. We’re now standing in front of the school gate, darkness was soon enveloping all around us.

 

“T-that’s okay… you really looked tired though,” I smiled sheepishly. Oh yeah, did I mention he didn’t remember saying those three jaw dropping words earlier? He seems to be dreaming that time. Weird, right? Why would he comment something like that unless he was dreaming of me—ohhhh~ okay.

 

“I’m too stressed with school work, that’s all. Since I’m already graduating,” he just shrugged. I nodded in understanding then looked around, it’s already dark.

 

 

I slowly stepped backward, smiling sweetly at him. “Well… I guess I got to go now,” I waved a bit then quickly turned around since I don’t want him to see my sadness.

 

“Wait…”

 

I stopped on my tracks but I didn’t look at him.

 

“Mind if I just take you home?” he seems a bit hesitant but he asked anyway.

 

Daehyun… why… are you doing this?

 

“Why sunbae?” I asked straightforwardly.

 

“Ohh… it’s just that it’s already dark a-and you might be—“

 

“No… I mean, why are you doing all of this?” I asked lowly. Yeah, I’m happy about all of this but it was too sudden, I still haven’t sink in everything. Just yesterday he was so cold and distant but now.

 

His silence meant that he understood what I meant and looks like he doesn’t want to answer it.

 

I sighed. “See you tomorrow, sunbae,” I forced my cheerful voice out. I don’t know why it hurts, honestly, I should be celebrating or something by now.

 

Is it real? Or is he trying to get back to me for what I did to his hyung?

 

I kept on walking until I heard hurried footsteps behind me and the next thing I knew, I was being spun around, held firmly between his arms and pressed tightly against his chest.

 

I could feel his heart beating in sync with mine. Why?

 

“Because…”

 

Because?

 

“Because I want to write a love song with you.”

 

 

                                                                                                               

 

“Jungmin-ah… I’m leaving. Lock the doors, eomma won’t be home until tomorrow,” I heard Eunji unnie’s voice from behind my bedroom door. I sighed at the thought of being alone on a Friday night, I looked like one of those loveless nerds who only talks with their cats, which I’m not definitely one. I should be happy right now, spring break officially started this afternoon when the final school bell rang.

 

Unfortunately, Daehyun didn’t attend school on the last day. It was weird though, after that sudden confession—well, it’s not literally a confession because I didn’t quite understand his words.

 

“I want to write a love song with you.”

 

What does that even mean? Like, literally write a song with me? Or is it just a metaphor of saying I like you?

 

I groaned internally, I couldn’t get my head clear the whole day yesterday because of that. If you’re curious as to what happened after that— well, nothing much actually. We were in complete silence while he walked me home.

 

“Jungmin? Yah, are you asleep?” unnie’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I didn’t notice I haven’t answered to her yet.

 

“No, I’m not. Can’t I go unnie?” I whined like a little kid.

 

“For the last time Jungmin— No you can’t. It’s the senior’s farewell party plus I can’t keep an eye on you the whole time. Good night,” then I heard her heels clicking on our wooden floor and soon it faded. I sighed then tossed around on my bed.

 

The senior’s farewell party… Daehyun would definitely be there. I heard it was held on Yongguk sunbae’s house, which explains why they didn’t attend school this day. They were busy preparing.

 

Of course, I practically begged Eunji unnie to let me go since it was open for all levels who has invitations or connections but she disagreed. She said I’m not old enough and clearly, there are alcoholic drinks served in there and people tend to get crazy and chaotic and the list goes on and on.

 

I can’t keep calm though. I want to see Daehyun… I need to see Daehyun. This will be my last chance to see him. I won’t get any other chances. His goodbye words yesterday before he left was ‘see you tomorrow’ and he didn’t even show up at school. I raked my hair frustrated.

 

Wait… he didn’t say it has to be in school, did he?

 

Realization dawned on me as I quickly stood up to head to my bathroom, taking a quick shower. I just hope what I assumed was correct.

 

Half an hour later, I was standing on my full body mirror, taking in everything I see. A pretty girl stood in front of me feeling slightly nervous. She was wearing light make up, her black shoulder-length hair was loose with a little red flower hair piece tucked on her hair near her right ear, her bangs was covering her forehead. I trailed my eyes down on her; she was wearing a simple off-shoulder white dress that flows above her knees. A black open-toed wedge completed her look.

 

Not too over dressed for an informal party but still decent. I smiled at my reflection.

 

I stepped out of our front door, making sure to lock it securely. I don’t want to go home by tomorrow with our house bare and furniture gone.

 

The cold night breeze blew making me shiver slightly. I looked around the empty neighborhood then sighed. I knew where Yongguk sunbae’s house is, Eunji unnie and Bomi sunbae talked about it once or twice. It was just on the next neighborhood, it’s a bit far but it’s still a walking distance.

 

That’s exactly my problem though. I’m sneaking out and I don’t have a ride. I guess I already found my solution.

 

Yes, I’m walking.

 

It’s really chilly and I’m starting to feel cold, my feet are killing me. I walked towards the familiar street, the neighborhood looks empty and creepy since it’s past eight already. I kept walking though, expecting sunbae’s house to just pop out like a daisy on a field.

 

I could hear a car turning on the street behind me since it kinda illuminated the place with its headlights. I hugged myself tighter, wishing they won’t be people from school and they won’t notice me walking here because that would scar my reputation and wound my ego.

 

But my worst fear happened.

 

I heard the car suddenly slowed down as it inched closer to me. A black car passed by me then abruptly stopped a few inches away. I heard my heart fell ten feet on the ground.

 

The car window suddenly rolled down and I stopped on my tracks.

 

Should I ignore it? Should I just run back home? No. I can’t, I’ve been this far to turn back now. No, literally, I’ve walked far enough and I’m not walking back in the dark. I groaned inwardly. I really should stop joking at times like this.

 

I mustered up my courage then took silent steps towards the car, I stopped beside the door then took a deep breath.

 

Please be a person I’ve never met before in school and vice versa.

 

I bend over to take a peek inside while silently praying in my head. The moment I recognized the guy behind the wheels, my face paled and I could feel my soul leaving my mortal embarrassed body.

 

Crap. I’m screwed. Not you. Not him. Why him? Why must it be him? Why can’t it be the boogey man instead?

 

“Come on, get in.” he reached to unlock the door then opened it, I stood there looking dumb.

 

I immediately lied an excuse. “W-what? What do you m-mean? I’m not going a-anywhere… who said I’m going—“

 

“JUST GET IN.”

 

 

                                                                                                                    

 

A Daehyun filled chapter ^O^ Did I manage to make you guys squeal? Sorry for trying /runs away/
And who might that be on the car? O.o


-Chaeminxxi