String 2 - The Intuder

Tied By Music (Short Story)

                                                                                            

 

                                                                                                                   

 

“YAH! GET BACK HERE YOU DAMN LITTLE TROUBLEMAKER!”

 

I just laughed at his threatening words then ran inside the school, heading straight to the highest floor. I quietly slid inside the abandoned music room to hide. It’s abandoned because they got a new room for it on the second floor, no one bothers to come here so I can say it’s safe to hide here.

 

I slumped on the floor, my back leaning on the wall as I tried to catch my breath. I haven’t run that fast since I last joined the marathon back in middle school. I glanced at my watch, I only have ten minutes before afternoon classes starts. Groaning, I stood up to fix myself.

 

I glanced at the used, old piano situated on the far corner. It was covered in dust but it didn’t bother me, I just came here to hide, not criticize the musical instruments.

 

I dusted off the stool then sat on it. I closed my eyes then took a deep breath, trying to visualize a music note I wanted to play. My delicate fingers hovered above the keys for a bit before I snapped my eyes open then pressed my fingers on the correct keys and the quiet room soon flooded with gentle, melodic tunes.

 

I kept on playing, drowned in my own world of music. I swayed my head gracefully like it was reflecting the melody I was playing. Just as I was about to finish my own piece the school bell suddenly echoed throughout the whole school, disrupting me from my mini performance.

 

I instantly shot my hands on my ears then winced at the sound. It was louder up here since it was close to that huge clock on the front of the school, now I know why they moved the music room.

 

A sudden shuffling of feet caught my attention and my head instantly snapped at the locked door. I could see a shadow from the crack between the door and the floor before it ran off, along with the faint hurried footsteps.

 

I immediately froze. , someone just heard me!

 

Beads of cold sweats start to form on my forehead again. If they knew I was here, it’ll only be a matter of time before they tell it to Yongguk sunbae and he’ll be here barging through the door before he breaks every bones in my body.

 

I quickly approached the door then very slowly unlocked it. I took a cautious peek outside but no one was there. Of course they ran away already. I gulped hard as I slid outside, remaining on high alert in case someone would jump off from somewhere and strangle me.

 

I peeped at the staircase, the coast was clear so I slowly took quiet steps down the stairs. I was having a mini battle in my head whether I would attend my Drama class or not. I guess it’s safe since that guy Zelo was taking another class from somewhere else. He said drama wasn’t his thing, like I cared.

 

I quickly ran across the deserted hallway, my mind was still worried about whoever snuck up on me in that abandoned music room. I have to find out who they are no matter what.

 

I slid inside my drama class through the back door with ease since the teacher’s attention was on the mini play they already started with so I safely made it towards my desk on the back without anyone noticing.

 

 

                                                                                                                    

 

 

“I heard the little troublemaker made a scene at the cafeteria yesterday?”

 

“Yeah… you should’ve seen Yongguk sunbae’s face when his uniform was redesigned by her.”

 

“Really? Damn, I should’ve been there!”

 

“I heard he ran after her but she outsmarted him and he slip on a puddle of mud!”

 

“What the heck? Seriously? That’s why sunbae wasn’t in any of his afternoon classes.”

 

“Oh god I would pay a fortune to see that!”

 

“Eunji sunbae’s baby sister was so cooool!”

 

The whole school was buzzing about the scene at the cafeteria and about sunbae on the mud the next day, so I guess someone did see that. I was still a bit angry at myself though, I just let another day slip away without even saying a simple Hi to him. Sigh. One day down, two more to go.

 

Strangely, the devil himself hadn’t shown up since yesterday. I was still on high alert though, I caught sight of one of s but they didn’t do anything to me. Weird, maybe they were at their creepy basement hideout or something yesterday, planning an evil revenge on me and waiting for their leader’s signal. I shivered at that thought.

 

Some people gave me a proud pat on my shoulder or an amused high five as they passed by me on the hallway, saying that I’m the only person to infuriate the devil and made it out alive. What does that even mean?

 

I didn’t do all of those to gain attention from the crowd, seriously that’s the one thing I’m trying to avoid. I was just pissed off at how he treats the other students like we’re just tiny insects meant to be squashed by him. So I did what I have to do.

 

“Jungmin-ah! I told you to stay at home today,” Eunji suddenly pulled me towards the side, her eyes were filled with worry. We already talked about this last night, she suggests that I should stay home until end of school since it doesn’t matter already but I don’t want to waste another day.

 

“Unnie, I can’t. Don’t worry, I can run faster than him,” I winked at her playfully but she didn’t fall for it.

 

“How can I not worry? You really made him piss—“

 

“Unnie, its fine. I’m not your baby sister anymore,” I cut her off, smirking.

 

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. You even tripped him on the mud. Seriously, how did you do that?” she asked with curiosity. We talked and laughed as we made our way towards my class where she dropped me off before saying goodbye.

 

At lunch, I didn’t bother to eat at the cafeteria, you know why. So I made my way towards the abandoned music room again, yeah stupid choice considering the situation I’m in right now. But I’m not that worried since clearly, Yongguk sunbae didn’t attend school today so it’s safe.

 

Finishing my lunch quickly, I stuffed it in my bag then narrowed my eyes at the door, observing if someone was lurking around but the complete silence told me there wasn’t so I breathed in relief. Of course I’m expecting that intruder to be back since they know I’ve been hiding here.

 

To relax my mind a bit, I plugged my earphones in, listening to my favorite music in full volume. I felt my body relaxed and since I’m having my vocal class after this, I decided to loosen my vocal chords. I played the song that I was about to present to the class later, I guess this is the perfect time to practice on it.

 

I took a deep breath then closed my eyes.

 

“Gaseum apado geudaeraguyo, Naui ganjeolhaessdeon maeume sojunghan sarang…” I started off slowly, following the melody. It’s an OST of a kdrama that Eunji unnie loved to watch. I leaned back on the wall, pouring my heart and soul on the song.

 

I tried to hit the high notes and it sounded okay, I always sang with unnie back at home. Of course, I still have a long way to go. Her voice is as smooth as an angel’s, it was perfectly flawless. I really admired unnie whenever she sings. I just wished I had her skills.

 

I was already on the chorus part when Daehyun’s face flashed in my mind, his attracting eyes, his charming smile, his alluring voice, everything.

 

If only I could talk to him, tell him how much I like him, how much I want to hear him say my name, how much I want him to be mine. I imagined my fingers running through his soft black hair, down to his blushing cheeks, down to his warm, soft lips that were slowly leaning in on mine.

 

I clenched my fist on my chest as I surprisingly hit a high note perfectly while he’s perfect face still lingering on my mind. As soon as I finished the song, I removed my earphones trying to hold back the stinging on my eyes.

 

No I can’t cry. I won’t cry over this.

 

Sniffing back a tear, I took a deep breath since no one would hear me in here, I decided to let out the words I’ve been dying to say to him.

 

“Jung Daehyun…. Saranghae,” I smiled widely as I felt the tingles on my skin. Feeling a bit better, I looked at my watch; it was ten minutes before class. I decided to go early so I could prepare ahead of time.

 

Grabbing my backpack then lifting myself up from the floor, I walked towards the door then opened it and a swift movement instantly caught my attention from the corner of my eyes. I snapped my head towards the left just in time when I saw a flash of mustard yellow disappearing down the stairs.

 

THE HECK?!

 

Someone was here and I knew it. It was that same intruder from yesterday, I was right, they would return to spy on me. How could I be so stupid, I should’ve known.

 

I sprinted across the corridor, my shoes made a loud thudding noise as it bounced off the walls. I bend over the railings and I caught sight of that yellow again before it disappeared from view down the stairs. Cursing under my breath, I raced down the stairs trying to catch them. I need to see who it is.

 

Jumping off the last three steps and landing with a loud thump, I dashed around the corner towards the direction the intruder went. Some people were still hanging out on the hallways, grabbing their books and talking loudly. No one seemed suspicious here so I guess the intruder ran off the other side of the corridor since that’s the only exit here.

 

I ran across the hall, knocking any students who were in my way. I mumbled an apology at them but still continued to run. The only problem is that I don’t know whether he went to the left and sprinted down the stairs or the right towards the senior’s classes.

 

I came to a sudden stop as I groaned loudly. Dammit. I lost them.

 

I decided to just go straight to my class in defeat. Fixing my uniform back in place, I glanced at my watch then cursed at the time. It was five minutes before class. I abruptly turned around, eyes still focused on my watch that I didn’t notice someone was walking behind me and my forehead instantly knocked on someone’s chest, everyone immediately stopped talking.

 

Dafuq? Not again! Seriously? Can I get any clumsier?

 

Apparently, I can. Yay life.

 

My mind was in a little haze from the sudden impact that I lose my balance as I bounced back. A hand instantly shoots up, grabbing my arm just in time to catch me. But since the god of clumsiness is on my side or something, I tripped on my own loose shoelace that I didn’t notice was undone probably from all the running I did.

 

I grabbed the arm back, trying to hold onto something as I lose my balance and stumbled backward. Obviously it failed since I managed to drag them with me as my came in contact with the cold floor and pain instantly shoot up on buttocks, my back and head came in next and I groaned lightly. I heard everyone gasp since I had my eyes close the entire time.

 

Yes, the mighty has fallen. Get over it people! Clumsyyy remember?

 

I plopped my elbow on the floor as I tried to hoist myself up but something heavy was on top of me, keeping me down.

 

Wait a darn minute…

 

Something… heavy… hard… warm… and… moving?

 

I snapped my eyes open and they instantly grew wide that I’m surprised they didn’t pop out of my sockets. My eyes fell on those familiar chestnut brown eyes and my heart pounded on my chest instinctively.

 

He was staring blankly at me too, both of his arms were on my side, supporting his own weight so he won’t come down crashing on top of me completely. I noticed my hand was still tightly wrapped on his arm for dragging him with me and I had to ignore the warm tingles on my skin from the indirect contact through the fabric.

 

I gulped as he kept on staring at me. This is by far the second most awkward situation I’ve ever been, not to mention we’re on the floor and everyone’s eyes were on us. I finally found my voice somewhere on my throat and I took the liberty of breaking the awkward tension around us.

 

“U-uhm…”

 

“D-daehyun sunbae… you can get off now,” I whispered softly so only he could hear. On cue, the school bell suddenly rang and we all flinched in surprise including the people around us.

 

Daehyun finally blinked then as if realization dawned on him, he looked down on me with a slight shocked expression before mumbling an apology and slowly getting up. I removed my hand from the warmth of his arm reluctantly then stood up on my own since he was straightening up his uniform.

 

“Freshmen! Hurry up to class now,” a booming voice of authority echoed on the corridor and I glanced behind to see our vocal teacher walking towards our way. “And seniors… go back to class,” she added as she spotted Daehyun sunbae standing there.

 

We bowed our heads as she walked pass us, disappearing inside our classroom not far from where we’re standing. I looked at Daehyun through my lashes then sighed.

 

Still can’t reach him.

 

“I’m sorry about my clumsiness, sunbae. I’ll just go,” I stepped forward to head to my own class when a junior student suddenly came half running towards us. I stopped in my tracks as I noticed she was clinging on Daehyun’s uniform sleeve, panting a bit. He doesn’t seem to be bothered by the girl clinging on him and that made me feel a bit jealous.

 

“D-Daehyun… sunbae…” she panted. “I… I have something to tell you… I-It’s about…” she trailed off as soon as she saw me, her eyes bulging out. She let out a surprised squeak then covered with her hands.

 

“N-nevermind… see you later,” then she ran back to where she came from.

 

That’s weird… Do I have something on my hair that frightened her?

 

I patted my head while pouting a bit. Nope, nothing there. I glanced back to Daehyun then noticed that he was frowning in confusion at me. I quickly lowered my hand from my head then blushed slightly.

 

Great. Now he thinks I’m crazy… yeah crazy for him. Sigh.

 

He shook his head the sighed. “Stop bumping into people. You’ll get yourself in trouble,” he mumbled as he walked pass me. I even felt those sparks shoot out everywhere with hearts and rainbows as his shoulder slightly, very slightly brushed into mine.

 

I died. Cause of death? Forgot how to breathe.

 

I stiffened on my spot, my heart pounding loudly inside my chest that I could literally hear it now that the corridor is empty and quiet.

 

“And oh, it’s not that I’m on your side but I thought I should tell you this,” I heard his husky voice from behind me and my breath got stuck in my lungs. “Yongguk hyung is coming back to school tomorrow… be prepared for P.E.”

 

And now I could feel my body melting into a puddle. Yongguk’s coming back? Be prepared for P.E? What the heck does that mean?

 

“Sunbae, what do you—“ I turned around but he was gone. Wow, he gotta teach me that disappearing spell. It might come in handy next time. I sighed then suddenly remembered I still have class that’s probably starting now without me.

 

I cursed under my breath then skipped towards my classroom when a familiar head peeked from the staircase leading to the next floor at the end of the hall. I stopped then craned my neck, trying to see who it was.

 

It was the same junior earlier.

 

She hadn’t left yet?

 

I eyed her suspiciously and when she peeked again, she finally noticed that I was still standing here. She gasped silently then ran upstairs. Okay weird. I can’t help but wonder what she was about to say to Daehyun if I wasn’t there.

 

I sneaked behind the back door of my classroom then activated my ninja skills (or spider skills) as I crawled towards the last vacant chair behind. They were already starting the mini recital but I still can’t get my head off that girl.

 

What is it even about? Ugh. If only she had said one more word. What could she possibly say to Daehyun but can’t because she got scared that I was there? Because I was there… that means she doesn’t want me to know. Why? Unless… unless… she’s scared to say it because… it’s about me!

 

Now it’s my turn to cover my mouth with my hand to stop myself from gasping loudly as realization dawned on me.

 

Don’t tell me… she knows I like him and was going to say it to him. But how? Nobody knows I like him, not even Eunji unnie.

 

Wait. Yesterday and… a while ago… somebody… was creeping… heard me… abandoned music room.

 

“THE INTRUDER!” I gasped and immediately, everyone’s attention was on me.

 

Please don’t tell me I just said that out loud.

 

“Miss Jung! Detention. NOW!”

 

 

                                                                                                          

 

 

PS. The song that Jungmin sang here was [It's You by Jung Eunji] an OST from the Kdrama 'Three Days'

-Chaeminxxi