Two

Polar Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yifan is beyond surprised the very next day after the wedding he found a cup of coffee brewed to perfection and some American style breakfast with sandwich and salad. He looks at the clock; it is pretty early in the morning. He decides to wake up earlier than usual to avoid running into Kyungsoon. So imagine his surprise that a well prepared breakfast is waiting for him.

Yifan decides to ignore the tempting aroma which makes his stomach grumbles, but he can’t ever say no to coffee. So he finishes the cup of coffee and leaves for work, but the sandwich remains untouched.

He doesn’t expect another warm meal waiting for him when he comes back from home. He has brought a simple Chinese take away for his dinner but of course a homemade meal is a better choice. He stares at the jajjangmyeon and dumplings take away and sighs, looks like jajjangmyeon and dumplings have to wait.

Kyungsoon is surprised finding her husband has eaten her cooked meal. Apparently her cooking style fits Yifan’s taste buds seeing all the dishes almost cleared up. Kyungsoon doesn’t expect that Yifan would eat the dinner since he didn’t touch the breakfast at all.

Kyungsoon knows exactly what she signed up for. She is married to a man that doesn’t love her. So what she can do is to do her part well as a wife. Not for the sake of her but for the sake of her parents.

She does exactly what he asks her to do but she is more determined to do her best. She gets up early, prepares breakfast for both of them but she will eat hers alone at her room. After she hears him leaving for office, she will start her day by cleaning the whole house, doing the laundry and goes to her work. She manages a coffee shop as a hobby and she has never been more grateful that she has something to do other than staying at that damned house.

She is taking off her shoes near the hallway when she sees Yifan is sitting in the dining table, eating her homemade kimchi from the container. He almost chokes himself with the food when he sees her coming.

“Uh - I” He struggles to find a proper word, but Kyungsoon just shrugs him.

“Are you hungry? I will make something quick.” She says while grabbing her pink apron and some ingredients. “Is kimchi fried rice ok for you? I haven’t had time to buy grocery so I just make something that I can find here.”

Yifan almost curses himself, why didn’t he takeaway something from outside? And now he is embarassing himself by getting caught eating her food, he groans but he is only able to stare at her cooking form dumbly. Not long until she sets up the table with a plate of kimchi fried rice.

“Thank you for the food.” He mumbles. Kyungsoon just nods and grabs another plate before going to her bedroom.

“Where are you going? Aren’t you going to eat?” Yifan looks at her curiously.

Kyungsoon lifts her plate, “I am going to eat at my room. Why?”

Yifan sighs, “Let’s just eat here together.” He pats the chair beside him. Kyungsoon looks at him in disbelief but sits nevertheless. Both of them eat in silence, which Kyungsoon totally comfortable in but not with Yifan.

“Thank you for the breakfast and dinner. I really enjoy it.” He decides to at least say something. Kyungsoon looks at him with disinterest in her eyes and nods.

“Kyungsoon-ah, are you mad at me?”

Kyungsoon frowns at his question, “No. Why would I be mad at you?”

“Because of my harsh words the other day.” He suddenly feels ashamed at himself for hurting this kind woman.

He is not as heartless as you think he is. The whole night after his wedding day, he tossed around in his bed; guilty crept in his heart for saying such rude words to Kyungsoon. He wants to apologize but his pride is in the line.

She sighs, “No need to apologize. I do understand why you hate me. I take away your freedom. So... yeah, I understand.” She nods at herself.

“I don’t hate you.”

Kyungsoon stares at Yifan, asking him to elaborate his statement, making him shift uneasily in his chair under her gaze.

“I don’t want to marry you, but I don’t hate you.” He sighs, “It’s just – you deserve a better man and I can’t be that person. I can’t love you, Kyungsoon-sshi.” He stares at h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter