One

Polar Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do Kyungsoon understands since the very beginning that she will marry someone that has been chosen by her parents. That’s why she doesn’t date around like people her age. That’s why she doesn’t even shock when her parents announced that it is the time.

“They are Chinese, Kyungsoon-ah. But they have lived in Korea for quite a long time. We need the ties to secure our partnership.”

Of course, she dreamed about marrying someone she loves like normal people but she knows her position as a daughter in a well known family. She is not the heiress, since her older brother has already taken care of that. So her role in the family is to be someone’s wife. Someone that is powerful enough to help the company to grow and expand. So she has already given up that dreams long time ago.

It doesn’t take long after the announcement that her parents notify her that they will be having dinner with her in-laws-to-be. So, here she is, standing in front of the mirror, trying out her dress for the night. A strapless simple black dress with faux rhinestones adorning around her tiny waist. With her hair braided and a small accessory placed on her hair, she feels like a princess. Well, even her fate is like princess’ except she doesn’t believe that her husband-to-be is as charming as a prince in the story that her mom always read her before bed when she was young.

Well, her hunch is correct after all. She even can hear the yelling and furious stomping from outside the dining room.

“I’m sorry; Yifan hyung must be in bad mood, right now.” Chanlie, who introduced himself earlier as Yifan’s (her husband-to-be) brother, throws her an apologetic smile. His other brother, the youngest of the family, seems nervous and is fidgeting in his chair. The footsteps are getting louder and thankfully, there’s no more yelling heard.

The door is opened harshly, and someone enters the room, face furious and then she knows this is her husband-to-be, Wu Yifan. Mrs. Wu trails behind her son, trying hard to maintain her composure. She exchanges greeting with her parents and stares at her fondly.

“You are as pretty as I’ve been told, Kyungsoon-ah.” Kyungsoon blushes at the compliment.

“I’m sorry I’m late, Mr. and Mrs. Do. There is some misunderstanding.” He glances at her mom, who looks back at him warily. Nevertheless, he bows apologetically to her parents and nods at her in acknowledgement.

The dinner is a little bit more bearable than the previous incident with Chanlie and Shixun crack jokes every now and then. Her mom is engaged with Mrs. Wu in rather hushy discussion and her father is talking about politics and economics with Yifan. But not even once, Yifan tries to make a conversation with her. Apparently, Mrs. Wu notices his son’s behaviour and quickly takes action.

“Kyungsoon-ah, I heard you like flowers? We have huge garden at the back of our house, you’d like it.” She says cheerfully then she turns her gaze at Yifan, “Yifan will assist you.”

He stares at his mom for a while before standing up and looks at her, “Let’s go.”

They walk in silence to the garden. True to her words, the garden is huge and full of well tended flowers. I would love it here, she smiles to herself.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter