A Surprise

Not the Same Without You

 

Sungjong left therapy the next week in the highest spirits. The doctor had finally cleared him for regular daily activity. Though he had stressed and gone on and on about how it was really important that Sungjong NOT do any dance practice still. Somehow Sungjong’s guilt had gotten the better of him, and the dull ache of his back, and he had confessed his escapade in the practice room. The doctor was really concerned at first but found that Sungjong had not done any more damage to his back, and was still healing properly.

The other members had already heard by the time Sungjong made it back to the dorms, probably Sunggyu’s doing.

“Congrats on being fit to be seen again!” Sungyeol slapped him on the back, a little too roughly.

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes at Yeol, “Hey careful now, he isn’t completely healed yet.”

“I’m not going to break him from a friendly pat on the back.” Sungyeol muttered and moved away.

Sungjong noticed then that the schedule on the fridge has been updated and next to his name isn’t blank anymore. He didn’t expect it to get changed so quickly. He rushed over to the fridge and stared in wonder, he has three schedules the following day, and even one that night!

“They said you can come with me tonight to the Sukira radio show. I’m guesting.” Myungsoo whispered next to Sungjong.

Sungjong turned to the other boy and smiled, “Thank you!”

Myungsoo smiled back, “Wasn’t my doing.” And shrugged, before walking away.

Sungjong can’t keep still, he paced the apartment and stared at the clock, willing it to move faster. It had been so long since he was able to be in public. Well, the real public, on broadcast or in the eyes of the fans. The trips to the store, practice room, and therapy office did not count as public.

Sungjong ended up falling asleep with his legs dangling over the edge of his bed. The hours tick away and the next thing he knows is someone is shaking him by the foot, telling him he needs to be ready in fifteen minutes.

“Crap!” Sungjong yelled and hopped off the bunk, much to Sunggyu’s displeasure.

“Be careful!”

Sungjong nodded once before rushing out of the room towards the doorway to pick out his shoes, he had already put on the clothes he wanted to wear before he fell asleep. He decided then that he will wait in the van for Myungsoo and ran out the door.

“Hurry up!” Sungjong whined to Myungsoo who was climbing into the van ten minutes later, “I’ve been waiting out here for ages!”

“It was ten minutes and you could have waited inside you know.”

Sungjong crossed his arms, “You would be the exact same if you had waited months to get out of the house like me!”

Myungsoo doesn’t respond and instead puts an arm around Sungjong’s shoulders and pulls him closer. Sungjong remembers their last van ride and his wonderful nap on Myungsoo. Unfortunately for him he slept for hours earlier so there is no repeating that episode, but it doesn’t stop Sungjong from snuggling in closer.

When they arrive at the stations fans are already outside holding up placards with “Infinite” ,“Myungsoo”, “L” and there was even one that said “Sungjong”.

“I thought I was a surprise!” Sungjong asked quickly after seeing the sign with his name on it. The sign had made  his heart leap and the smile on his face was sure to break his face in half. 

Their manger responded from the driver’s seat, “It was a surprise until about ten minutes ago when I called the station to let them know that you were coming too.”

“Can I…talk to them?” Sungjong asked quickly, he wants desperately to hear the fans scream his name and to see them cry at his return after so long. Sungjong noticed the strange look the manager is giving him through the review mirror and quickly adds, “From the window of the van. Just a few words…”

“Hyung, that wouldn’t be such a big deal, let him do it.” Myungsoo suddenly added.

Sungjong looked at Myungsoo who just smiled back at him and pressed the button to lower the window on Sungjong’s side.

Sungjong wasted no time and put his face up to the window. It was only opened enough that he could peer out and see the crowd. The sound of their screams already is filling the van to capacity.

He waved his hands excitedly out the window and the fans scream and wave back, cameras are flashing and video recorders zooming in on his smiling face.

“HI EVERYONE!” Sungjong screamed at the top of his lungs.

“Ouch.” Myungsoo muttered and put a hand to his ear.

“I’m back! Don’t worry!” Sungjong lowered his voice slightly for Myungsoo’s sake, “I’ve missed you!”

The window closed but Sungjong felt like he still had so much to say to the fans, but then he realizes he can say it on the radio probably and urges the manager to park the car faster.