The Accident

Not the Same Without You

 

Sungjong jumped, he realized he had been staring at Yeol without even using the toilet yet. He hurried and did his business and rushed out of the bathroom. In his rush he collided with Myungsoo who had apparently just woken up as well.

“Ahhh sorry!”

Myungsoo’s only response was to yawn and turn around to head back to his room that he shared with Dongwoo.

Eventually everyone had gotten up and showered, eaten, and gotten ready for the day. Their manager hyung opened the door to the dorm and yelled at everyone to be in the van in five minutes to go to a schedule.

Sungjong always tried hard to remember what their schedules were but there were so many that a lot of the time it was a surprise to him when they arrived. He wondered what it would be today, he hoped it was an interview for a magazine or something because those were usually fun. And they were inside while sitting most times. His whole body was still sore from the vigorous dance practice the night before.  But just in case it was a long day he grabbed a bag of snacks from his secret hiding place, that really wasn’t all that secret since Sungyeol had exposed it before, and shoved them into his backpack right when he heard Sunggyu yell for everyone to get their asses out the door.

It was a mad rush at the door as everyone tried to find their shoes and shove their feet into them. Hoya was the first one out the door. Dongwoo, who was always right behind Hoya, didn’t even finish shoving his feet in his shoes before running after him. Sungjong smiled, those two were nearly inseparable.

“AHHH!” Sungjong jumped, squealed, and turned around in a rush to find Sungyeol grinning goofily behind him, “Ya, what was that for?”

Sungyeol grinned wider, “For interrupting my shower earlier. Plus you were day dreaming again….”

All Sungjong could do was sigh, he had been day dreaming again. It seemed to get worse whenever he didn’t sleep well or when he was stressed. He mentally poked himself so that he would be alert for their schedule. He rushed out the door on the heels of Sungyeol. When he got to the car he found that he was the last one there, again.

“Day dreaming again?” Woohyun asked while Sungjong climbed into the car and slammed the door shut behind him.

Sunggyu smiled, “We’re all really tired today but let’s try our hardest okay?”

Everyone yelled yeah or nodded in agreement.

“What is the schedule today hyung?” Sungjong ventured to ask, even though he knew it would end up with the other members teasing him for being oblivious once again.

“Today we’re going to a magazine photoshoot and interview, then more dance practice tonight!”

And there was a collective groan at the dance practice comment. Surprisingly no one made fun of Sungjong for having to ask for the schedule. A magazine photoshoot meant a long time in the salon to make everyone perfect. He liked the feeling of having someone doing his hair and makeup. The cool touch of the stylist’s fingers and the comb and hair dryer caressing his scalp sent shivers through him. He shivered involuntarily just at the thought.

“Are you cold?” Myungsoo turned to him and put a hand on Sungjong’s shoulder, “Ahh yes you do feel a little cold, you should have worn a hoodie today. The fall weather is coming in quick.”

Sungjong shivered again at Myungsoo’s touch, “No, I’m not cold….not really anyway.”

“But you’re shivering,” he said while pulling Sungjong into his arms and holding him against his chest. Sungjong couldn’t move, it felt so good being in that embrace.  He wished he could lay like that forever.

But soon he was being shaken awake because they had arrived at the location of the magazine shoot, although he was confused because he thought for sure they’d go to the salon first, maybe there was no photoshoot after all?

Myungsoo gently pushed Sungjong up and Sungjong regretfully sat up and scooted out of the car.

He turned to Myungsoo who was getting out after him, “Ahh thanks, I guess I really needed that nap!”

Myungsoo just smiled and put an arm around Sungjong’s shoulders, pulling him closer, and they walked into the building like that.

Once everyone was in the building their manager gathered them up, “Okay everyone, today is a little special. They specifically asked that I bring you straight here without stopping at the salon first to pretty up. You’re doing a fresh and youthful photoshoot for the magazine. Of course they’ll still photoshop the photos to gloss you up.”

Dongwoo’s mouth was hanging open like a giant flytrap, “Hyung! MY HAIR!”

And indeed Dongwoo’s hair was frizzy and randomly sticking out every which way, he had obviously thought that someone would be fixing it for him and didn’t even bother running a comb through it. Sungjong giggled, “Hyung, today maybe you should wear a hat?”

Sungyeol butted in, “Isn’t there one in that giant bag of weird stuff you always carry around?”

Everyone shared a laugh while Dongwoo’s shoulders slumped and he dragged the bag off his back to start shuffling through the contents.

Dongwoo suddenly laughed and victoriously pulled out not one, but two hats! One was a ball cap and the other a beanie. “Which one?” he asked while trying on both of them. Everyone agreed on the beanie because the ball cap was bright red and clashed horribly with his shirt.

“Okay everyone let’s get this started!” a young woman in a light pink cardigan yelled over to the group. She smiled and waved them over, “Today should be a lot of fun! We’re hoping for a fun atmosphere. Think of this more like just play rather than a photoshoot. We really want to get a natural feel.”

Her speech was met with a chorus of “yes.”

Everyone followed her as she move into the studio, the studio was brightly lit and had a few different sets. One was a living room with a big comfy looking orange couch. Another was a kitchen with an island surround by bar stools. And the last was a game room, complete with a pool table.

Dongwoo ran over to the pool table, “Guys! It has balls and cues!” he then turned to the woman in the pink cardigan, “Can we actually play a game?”

She smiled, “Yes! Of course! This is the kind of enthusiasm we were hoping for. Good good!”

They were then led around and given explanations of what was expected at each set and introduced to the camera crew and other workers.  It really sounded like it would be a fun day. Just play they said.

Sungjong was still sleepy and that orange couch looked so comfy so before they began he wandered over to it and sat down. He immediately sank into it, despite his light weight, and sighed happily. It was better than it looked.

“For being the youngest, you sure act like an old person sometimes.”

Sungjong looked up sleepily, “I had trouble sleeping last night…”

Myungsoo didn’t say anything and sat down next to him.

“Whoa, this is cozy.” He muttered after settling in.

Sungjong smiled at him, “Yeah it was the first thing I saw when we walked into the studio. It feels better than it looks!”

“Orange is really a terrible color, “ Myungsoo commented.

Sungjong must have fallen asleep because he was rudely awaked by Sunggyu’s loud “HEY!”

He rubbed his eyes and climbed regretfully from the orange sofa, noting that Myungsoo had already left him. Nice of him to wake him up before he left.

“Hurry up!” Sunggyu had his leader face on, so Sungjong went to run over but something caught his foot as he tried running, so instead of running forward, he ended up tumbling head over heels.  He heard the others shout and start making their way over to him, but his mind was in a red haze of pain.  The red haze was making it nearly impossible to think or move or do anything, although he was frantically trying to figure out where the pain was coming from.  By that time the others had made it to him and were asking him if he was alright. Sungjong wanted to tell them it hurt, that it hurt everywhere, or nowhere, he still couldn’t figure out where the pain was coming from, but he couldn’t even open his mouth.  Only a slight groan was the reply they received. And while he knew they were hovering around him, he couldn’t see them through the pain. He supposed his eyes must be watery or he was crying in pain. He didn’t know anymore.

Sungjong wanted to pass out, but the pain wasn’t enough for that even though it felt like it should. He could only lay there in agony while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

“Sungjong! They should be here any minute, just hold out for a few more minutes okay?” Sunggyu was now using his caring leader voice.

“How’d you end up like this? Tripping over nothing! “

Suddenly Sungyeol gave a shout, Sungjong knew it was Yeol from the high pitch it ended in,  “Oh my god! Is that blood!?”

Oh he was bleeding? What had he cut himself on? He couldn’t think straight still but the haze was getting duller or he was growing accustomed to the pain.  The moments before the fall were not available it seemed like, he tried over and over to try to figure out how he ended up on the floor in pain.

“Holy …he’s bleeding! He’s really bleeding!” Woohyun’s voice was shaking.

“Where the hell is the ambulance?” Sunggyu was really agitated, “Sungjong, don’t worry! You’ll be fine, it isn’t that much blood. You know Yeol and Woo are prone to over reacting.”

Sungjong tried nodding his head, but even that was beyond his ability to do. Were his eyes even open anymore? He couldn’t tell.