Nothing's Over

Not the Same Without You

 

“Alright time’s up!” The physical therapy coach called to Sungjong who was currently trying to catch his breath, “How do you feel today over all?”

Sungjong smiled, “I feel great! My back didn’t hurt at all today. I think I’m all better, you should clear me for activities now!”

The doctor laughed, “Sungjong, don’t rush yourself, one good day does not mean that you’re fully healed. Give it a bit more time. See you Thursday!”

Sungjong watched as the coach walked out of the room, his smile was completely deflated, although he still felt no pain. He ground his teeth in frustration and headed towards the changing room to put on his street clothes for the ride home.

Sungjong hurried out to the waiting van, he hoped that one of the other members would be inside, but was disappointed to open the door to only find one of their managers.

“Sungjong-ah! Hurry hurry! I have to quickly drop you off and go pick up Woohyun for a variety show recording.” He groaned, “We are going to be so late! What took you so long coming down?”

Sungjong tossed his bag into the car and climbed in, slamming the door behind him. He had taken his time in the dressing room while he thought out how he would ask about the member’s schedules for the day. Well, this hyung had told him that Woohyun was at least going to be at a recording.

“Sorry, I was held up by the doctor.”

“Mmm okay.”

“So, what’s everyone doing today?” Sungjong asked his sly questions had evaporated after getting scolded for being slow.

“Woohyun has this show, and everyone else is going to be recording an interview at mtv.”

“Oh,” Sungjong sighed, “When will they be back you think?”

The manager looked over at him briefly but quickly looked back to the road, “They have dance practice afterwards you know. Alright we’re here get out and see yourself in!”

Sungjong quickly got out of the car and it pulled away immediately, he hoped Woohyun would make it to his schedule on time. Instead of going inside he made sure the van was out of sight and turned around to head back to the road. He hailed the first cab he could find and directed it to their dance practice room. Even if the doctor said he wasn’t ready yet, Sungjong knew he was ready. Who knew him better than himself? He felt great today and was determined to get a start on their new choreography. Infinite was about done promoting the title track to their latest mini and soon would being promotions on their follow up song. Sungjong had never danced the new choreo and was dying to try it out. He had watched the other members do it a million times but, one can only learn so much from watching.

Despite knowing that no one was there, Sungjong still snuck up to the building and cracked the door open before fully walking in. He smiled and rushed over the computer. It was still on, they never bothered shutting it down because they spent so much time in the practice room. Sungjong figured he had a few hours at least to practice before anyone would be back. And they might go out for dinner after their schedules, making it even longer.

Although he still felt limbered up from his therapy session but he put on their stretching music to make sure he didn’t hurt himself especially since it had been a couple months since he had done anything besides the therapy.  It felt exceedingly good to even be stretching to this music. He hummed along happily, going over the choreo in his head.

First though he decided he should loosen up by doing an older song, he choose “Nothing’s Over” because the choreography wasn’t too difficult or strenuous. He started the music and immediately started dancing; the song was muscle memory now, even after months off the job.  And instead of just dancing quietly, he sang along to the whole song. By the time it was done he was sweating freely again and laboring for breath, but his back was still okay.

“Oh my god, maybe, maybe I’m really finally healed!” Sungjong shouted to the empty room, “It is GOOD to be back!”

The new song had some difficult parts, but he decided to just start from the beginning and chunk it out. He put the music on and counted the beats along with it, just to be sure he was correct. After the song finished he started out slowly with the intro, which was one of the trickier parts. His part included a fast spin and dip down that he was a little worried about, but while done slowly it didn’t aggravate his back. 

However, when he sped it up to be in time with the music his back spasmed and cramped.  Sungjong fell to the floor writhing in pain. He tried to take a deep breath and still his body. Just like the doctor said, relax, go limp, and let the muscles rest. But the pain was too intense; he hadn’t felt pain like this since the first few days after the accident. Tears were tracking down his face and he didn’t know what to do, and was relieved to hear someone coming down the stairs to the practice room. He knew he would get in trouble for being there, but someone coming meant they could get him his pain killers, which he always carried in his bag.

Suggyu opened the door, a look of confusion on his face upon hearing the music playing and seeing the lights on. His look of confusion turned to worry the instant he saw Sungjong on the floor.

“Are you okay?” Sunggyu asked as he rushed over to Sungjong’s side and kneeled down next to him, “What’s wrong?”

“My back, it hurts really bad hyung!” Sungjong croaked out between sobs.

Sunggyu nodded, “Are you pills in your bag?”

After Sungjong nodded, Sunggyu got up and ran over the table where his bag was thrown carelessly, he rifled through it for a few minutes, cursing under his breath but still loud enough for Sungjong to hear.

“Why do you have so much stuff in there?” Sunggyu muttered after coming back with the pills and a bottle of water. He lifted Sungjong’s head putting the pills in his lips and poured the water in after until Sungjong motioned for him to stop. Instead of putting Sungjong down on the floor again he rested his head on his thigh.

Sungjong sniffled his tears finally subsiding, even though the pain was still nearly unbearable, “Thank you….and sorry.”

Sunggyu sighed, “What were you doing here? I know the doctor didn’t clear you for activities yet because I ask every time after you finish therapy.”

Sungjong looked up at Sunggyu, surprised, “Wait, you do what?”

“I call and ask the doctor about your condition.” Sunggyu smiled, “he told me today that you were feeling really good and that your back hadn’t hurt at all during therapy. Then I come back here to find you rolling on the floor sobbing.”

“I was feeling good. I….danced “Nothing’s Over” and did all the stretches beforehand but, the new choreo’s intro got me….”

Sunggyu shook his head sadly, “The choreography between the two songs is like light and day! How did you think doing “Nothing’s Over” was at all equivalent to doing the new song?”

“I just wanted to do it myself. I haven’t ever danced it…” Sungjong pouted his lips out a little.

“Even us healthy as can be members have trouble with the new choreo! I think the dance hyung is trying to kill us all secretly.” Sunggyu joked, “Or maybe I’m just getting old.”

Sungjong laughed, “I think it is the second one hyung!”

Sunggyu frowned, “Anyway, you should have known how hard it was from watching us practice it the last few weeks!”

Sungjong nodded, and closed his eyes; his back was starting to feel better after lying relaxed like this on Sunggyu’s legs. It was surprisingly a comfortable position, even though he supposed that the leader was not that comfortable since they were in the middle of the room and he had nothing to lean back against. He figured that the pain killers were starting to kick in too. He wondered what Sunggyu would do to punish him. And he worried that he had done damage to his back and would be set back in therapy. The doctor may have been right after all.

“Okay, are you well enough to get up?” Sunggyu asked, “We should get you home before the managers come back and discover you here. “

Sungjong looked at Sunggyu in confusion, “Why?”

“I don’t want anyone tattling on you and getting your release time pushed back any further. It would be the best if you could at least join us in the follow up promotions, even if only at the end.”

“Oh, thank you!” he smiled up at Sunggyu who smiled back his eyes disappearing, “Yeah let’s go!”