Practice

Not the Same Without You

 

Sungjong winced slightly as he worked his way through the choreography, but the knowledge that he was finally able to dance again was enough to keep him going. The long hours of practice were wearing on him greatly after his extended absence from activities.  They had a performance at a university festival just two days from now and Sungjong needed to practice hard to be able to get on that stage with everyone else.

While he knew all the moves he needed to make, it was still difficult to get them timed right, and watching from the bench was a lot different than actually performing them. He groaned in frustration when he released he had fallen half a beat behind. Sungjong rushed the next move to get back on track but that put him still slightly out of time. He felt like it was a losing battle, and dropped his arms.

“I need a break.” Sungjong called over the music to their choreographer, who had not noticed yet that Sungjong had stopped dancing.

“Okay, five minutes, but we really need to get this down,” he called, while pressing stop on the music player, “Tomorrow you’ll practice with the rest of the members and we need you to be able keep in time.”

Sungjong nodded, and walked over to the water fountain, grabbing a paper cup and filling it with the cool liquid. He drank four cups worth before stopping himself and turning around to face the mirror again.   Sungjong scrutinized his image again, looking for traces of weight gain that he felt he was sure to have gotten from spending so long on his back.  But each time he looked at the mirror the image he saw was still the same Sungjong that was thin and lanky, not an ounce over weight. And some might even say a little underweight, though Sungjong never believed that.

“Okay, let’s start from the top again!” the choreographer called over to him. He waited until Sungjong was position and then started the music. It was about the twentieth time they had gone over just this song. They still needed to do the follow up choreography and that one Sungjong had never done before. How had he gotten so out of sync in just a few months?

Sungjong sighed and grit his teeth, focusing his eyes on the mirror image of himself and counting along to the song. Each step right on beat, and not a moment too soon or too late; the words to the song flowing out of his mouth at his turn, words that he had never sang live on stage before. That also worried him, singing again. While he had continued to attend vocal practice during his bed rest, it was different than dancing and singing on stage. Especially now that he was out of shape and the exertion from dancing left him more breathless than it had since he was a trainee.

They practiced through the rest of the night, the choreography for the follow up song was easier than the title track, and thankfully Sungjong was able to pick up on it really quickly after having watched it so many times before. The sun was coming up when the choreographer yawned loudly, finally dismissing Sungjong. He called back to the dorm to get one of the managers to come pick him up and waited, slumped on the floor for his ride to arrive, dozing.

When they arrived back at the dorm it was quiet, all the members were still deep asleep since it was only five am. Sungjong wanted to just crawl up into his bunk and sleep immediately, but the extra long dance practice had left him drenched in sweat despite it being freezing outside, and he desperately needed to take a shower.

The bathroom was a mess, and Sungjong nearly slipped and fell on a bottle of shampoo that had gotten knocked off the shelf. No one ever bothered to pick up things, just always left them wherever they fell. It would have annoyed Sungjong more if he was not also guilty of doing just that.

Once he was done showering he finally was able to climb up his bunk to sleep but was dismayed when he was able to see over the top to find Hoya curled up in his bunk. Sungjong stopped his assent and silently tried to determine if he should leave Hoya to sleep in his bunk and go take Hoya’s empty bunk or force his way up onto his bed, it was his bed after all. Sungjong decided on the latter, and finished his climb, gingerly crawling over the sleeping frame of the other boy.

Once he was near the pillow he shoved at Hoya to get him to move over, but his shove was met with little else than a groan.

“Come on, move over!” Sungjong growled into the darkness, emphasizing his growl with another shove at the older boy.

Suddenly Hoya lifted his arms and grabbed Sungjong, pulling him down into him. Sungjong landed on top of Hoya with an oof! He slapped the older boy again, “Really hyung? Ugh I just want to sleep, move over!”

“Sleep here.” Hoya sleepily murmured.

Sungjong did have to admit that it was pretty comfortable laying on top of the other boy, the room was chilly in the night and the other’s body heat was oozing its way through him. So he sighed, and pulled at the blankets which Hoya had kicked off prior to Sungjong’s arrival. He covered the both of them and closed his eyes, immediately drifting off to sleep.

 

A/N: Sorry for the super late updates! If any of you stuck around, thank you! I'll be wrapping this up shortly! So please stick around a bit longer! ^___^