The Truth

Not the Same Without You

 

They had talked for awhile longer about Sungjong’s injury and what it meant for the team. Sunggyu insisted that Sungjong would always attend practice despite his injury, even if it were to only watch. Sungjong couldn’t think of anything more boring or depressing than sitting in the practice room for hours watching everyone dance while he couldn’t. It only made him more determined to prove the doctor’s wrong and get back on his feet.

Before too long a nurse came in and said that they had to leave since it was getting late.  Everyone was gave him a pat on the shoulder or leg and saying goodbye and filing out of the room promising to visit again soon.

Hoya stopped at the door and turned around, “Actually, do you think I could stay here with you tonight?”

Sunggyu and Myungsoo who had been right behind Hoya bumped into him. Myungsoo’s usual poker face was broken by a look of surprise at Hoya’s sudden question.

Sungjong didn’t know what to say, Hoya had always been really nice to him but never to the extent that he would give up his free night to stay in a hospital with him, “Hyung, you don’t have to do that. I’m a big boy and can sleep alone.”

“We have dance practice tonight Hoya.” Sunggyu said slowly.

Hoya shrugged, “You know I’m good already. It is wrong to leave Sungjong here alone. It is only one night anyway.”

Myungsoo looked like he wanted to say something but instead shouldered by Hoya and into the hallway without looking back. Sunggyu shrugged his shoulders and walked out as well.

“Guess I’m staying then.” Hoya grinned at Sungjong, “Are you hungry?”

Sungjong realized with a start that he was, in fact, famished, “Yes! So hungry! I don’t know when I last had real food.”

“You’re getting cafeteria food, I don’t know if that will count as real.”

Sungjong put on his best bratty look, “Cafeteria food? Why so cheap, hyung? Aren’t I worth some fried chicken to you?”

Hoya’s only answer was to walk out the door. Sungjong sighed at the sudden quietness of his room. The only sounds coming from his breathing. He looked around carefully, and realized that there wasn’t another bed. Where would Hoya sleep? He could sleep in the bed with him, Sungjong decided, all he would have to do is scoot over a bit.

Sungjong tried doing just that, but the extra movement made his back spasm in pain and his world took on that red haze that he saw after the accident. He laid in the bed whimpering, wondering if it was safe to move again. Would moving ease the pain or make it greater? He slowly moved his arm over to the bars on the side of the bed, and grasped it. He breathed slowly, and quickly pulled himself over with all his might.

The world spun away from him, the red taking over his vision, and his arm flopped uselessly to the bed before he lost consciousness.

Hoya came back not too terribly long later to see Sungjong sleeping. He set down the box of fried chicken and pulled the blankets up over Sungjong.

“More chicken for me….” He mused out loud, but at his voice Sungjong stirred, his eyes snapped open, “Ahh sorry Sungjong, I didn’t mean to wake you up. I brought the chicken you requested.”

Sungjong struggled to remember what had just happened, oh he had tried moving, he looked to his right and noticed that he had cleared about a foot of space in the bed. He was strangely proud of that fact, even if it doing it had caused him to pass out.

Hoya noticed that Sungjong seemed a little frantic, “Are you okay? Do you need the nurse?”

Sungjong shook his head, he would never admit that he had passed out from pain, “No, sorry, I just hadn’t expected to fall asleep so suddenly. Let’s eat.”

Hoya had splurged and bought KFC, so they both dug in hungrily. The chicken was so crispy and hot that Sungjong couldn’t believe that Hoya hadn’t eaten it all on his way back to the hospital. It only took a few minutes for the chicken to all disappear and nothing but bones remained. Sungjong knew he probably should not have eaten the fried chicken, he would have to be extra careful while on bed rest to not gain weight. It was likely the last time he would have fried chicken in months. He shook his head sadly, causing Hoya to look up.

“I should have gotten the 12 pack instead of the 6 pack.” Hoya stated, “I didn’t know you would eat like a hungry hyena.”

“It was more than enough, are you trying to make me fat now?” Sungjong half joked. Hoya’s only response was to close the chicken box and move it to the trash.

Sungjong didn’t know what to do so instead he the TV and flipped through the channels thoughtlessly.  The sudden shift in the bed, as Hoya settled himself in next to Sungjong, almost startled him.

“Move over.”

Sungjong winced at the words, there was still space to his left, it was just getting himself into that space that worried him. He didn’t want to be so completely helpless in front of his hyung. “Are you so fat that you can’t fit in the space I already made for you?”

Hoya’s only answer was to push Sungjong over himself. The movement caused Sungjong to gasp in pain as the red fire lept across his body.

“Ahh…” Sungjong groaned when Hoya stopped pushing. The pushing had only lasted a moment but it felt like forever to Sungjong. The pain was slowly receding, leaving him only weak and tired.

Hoya’s face was crunched up in confusion and worry, “Did….did I hurt you?”

Sungjong looked over at Hoya, wanting to say that it hadn’t hurt but just surprised him, but the tears were tracking down his face already. His eyes betrayed him. He supposed his face was probably also red or perhaps pale, there was no way to hide a pain so great.

Hoya flipped over onto his side, and propped his head up on his hand, “Are you alright?”

The words were filled with worry and compassion, and fear. It was becoming apparent that Sungjong’s injury was worse than any of them had thought. Sungjong had acted so strong in front of them all. Not showing a drop of pain or worry, laughing along at the jokes and scoffing at the words the doctor’s had used. But in reality, the injury was so bad that even a simple movement would bring Sungjong to tears from the pain of it.

Sungjong struggled to find his words, “I’m just tired, let’s sleep.”

There was nothing else to do, so Hoya kicked off his shoes and pushed his way under the blankets with Sungjong.

“Thank you.” Sungjong whispered before falling off into sleep immediately.