Games

Not the Same Without You

 

Weeks passed by and Sungjong slowly got stronger as his back started healing. He went to therapy sessions twice a week to strengthen his back but other than that he spent all his time at the dorm. His time was divided between reading, studying, watching tv and movies, and sleeping. He felt he did sleeping more than anything else. He could hobble his way around the apartment without assistance now. Well, not assistance of people anyway, he used door frames and furniture to make his way between rooms.

He was doing just that when he was interrupted by Woohyun yelling at him.

“Hey! Ajumma!”

Sungjong turned around angrily, he thought he had been in the dorm alone with everyone else out on schedules, “What?”

Woohyun smirked, “You know as well as I do what! We were both there when the doctor told you to walk straight. You look like a grandmother all hunched over like that.”

Sungjong knew Woohyun was right, the doctor told him the muscles would not get stronger if he let them slacken by hunching over, but standing up straight was quite a painful process still and so he took liberties when he was home alone. Instead of arguing with Woohyun though, Sungjong slowly stood up straight.

“Ahh, now there we go! We can have you in Infinite looking like this.”

“Image is the only thing important to you isn’t it?” Sungjong muttered and turned to continue his journey to the living room.

“Wait!” Woohyun shouted, “I wasn’t done talking to you. Where are you going?”

Sungjong groaned irritably and turned around to face Woohyun again, “Why are you home?”

“I didn’t feel like being out today so I decided to come home and relax.” Woohyun narrowed his eyes, “Answer my question.”

“I’m going to go play games on the Playstation 3,” Sungjong mumbled then added, “is that okay with you? No schedules today for you?”

Woohyun smiled, ignoring the younger boy’s irritation, “No one has schedules today! Why don’t you ever pay attention?”

Sungjong just sighed, and once again turned back toward the living room, standing this long was making his back ache more than it should have. But maybe that wasn’t the standing and instead Woohyun grating on his nerves. The weeks had passed by and the members of Infinite had all gone about their lives without Sungjong. No one bothered still to tell him what the schedule was the week let alone the day. It wasn’t like he needed to know when the other members were going out for a performance or a photoshoot or an interview.

He made it to the living room and promptly threw himself into the single chair to grace the room. Sungjong sighed contently and switched on the TV and grabbed the game controller.  The game was still booting up when he heard the sound of Woohyun walking up from behind, Sungjong sighed again, this time annoyed.

“What do you want now?” Sungjong growled. He didn’t know why he was being so irritable towards Woohyun but his mere presence today made Sungjong angry.

Woohyun’s voice was a little confused sounding, “I just thought we haven’t spent much time together since….”

“Since I was hurt?” Sungjong filled in helpfully.

“Yeah, since you were hurt. The comeback and all, it’s been busy.”  the older boy continued, “I feel a little bad with us leaving you here alone all of the time.”

Sungjong felt a little bad himself now for his snappy attitude, “Want to play with me? I get to keep the chair though, sit on the floor hyung!”

“Want anything to drink before I sit down, one time offer, once I’m seated I’m not getting up again!”

“Just a glass of water.”

Sungjong went about setting up the game, it was a racing game that had been taking up all of his time lately. It was frustrating and exciting, and he believed he would trounce Woohyun thoroughly so his mood was lifting quite quickly.  It took Woohyun only a few minutes to return with two glasses of water, he set one next to Sungjong and the other he held in his hand as he folded his legs under him on the floor.

“Ready to have me drive circles around you?” Sungjong quipped.

Woohyun gripped the controller and looked up at him, “Could you teach me how to play before you beat me into dust?”

“Hyung! You have never played?” Sungjong laughed, “We’ve had this for months and months!”

Woohyun groaned, “And when did I have time to play? You didn’t play this until just weeks ago.”

Sungjong patiently explained what each button on the controller did and quizzed Woohyun afterwards to see if he understood. He wished someone had taken the time to teach him how to play before he started, he was sure that would have saved him a lot of frustration. Woohyun was also right, before getting hurt he had never really touched the PS3. No one had, it sad gathering dust beside the TV, which was also gathering dust. Sungjong had to clean the TV off to even use it. Everyone was always so tired after the day’s work that they retired to their rooms to use the computer for a bit before going to bed.

Sungjong actually missed those days and he was looking forward to when he was allowed to go practice again. They had him come sit and watch but that was dull and no fun. He wasn’t a person for idleness anymore.

“Okay, let’s get this started!” Woohyun said cheerfully, knocking Sungjong out of his thoughts. He quickly started the game and smiled at Woohyun.