10

Everything, Everything.

He was leaning on the railing his back turned to Zoey, she examined him he was wearing timberlands, jeans, a white t-shirt underneath a black puffy jacket. She bit her lip again a habit of hers she did this when she was unsure of herself, she slowly made her way to him. The night was chilly all of a sudden a burst of wind passed by and her turned around to face her. Their eyes met and held on to one another, her breath became shallow and her heart beat slowed down. Feeling self conscious she broke the staring contest and looked down walking over to him still trying to maintain some type of space between them. He turned his attention back to the city in front of him, gazing at the couples whom were coming home from partying, gangs of boys talking loudly down the street. Zoey broke the silence.

“ So you wanted to see me?” she looked ahead her back leaning against the railing. She heard him take a deep breath before speaking.

“Yeah, Himchan had mentioned before he left to go home that you were crying. I just wanted to let you know that Daehyun feels bad for what he said.”

His gaze remained on the city beneath him, his voice was soothing to her ears she could’ve sworn that she had stopped breathing for the time he was speaking. She missed the baritone in his voice, the silkiness and slow pace he maintained while speaking. It hadn’t hit her that she missed all these little things until she actually saw him and heard him without so many people watching them.

“It’s ok I got what I deserved. You didn’t have to apologize for him.” She said in the littlest voice. She looked at him and his gaze still on the streets but his expression had changed.

“I’m not apologizing for him he will do that himself. I just don’t want the two of you to be awkward around people, the last thing I want is for more people to talk about things that have no importance.” He said the last sentence in the coldest tone.

“Well, thanks. If that’s all you need to say I best get going. Take care.” Zoey said sarcastically and slowly peeled herself off the railing. The nerve she thought, he could’ve just let Daehyun and herself hash it out like normal human beings but he wanted to in. And then to speak down to her, she felt a sudden warmth at the pit of her stomach.

“What exactly do you think you are doing?” Zoey turned around and looked at him, he was now facing her with a fire in his eyes. She felt the small flame grow in her as well, this wasn’t going to be no regular nice conversation; he’d messaged her to fight.

“What do you mean what am I doing? I’m here because you wanted to see me. What are you doing?” she fired back.

“What am I doing? Are you serious right now? You come back into my life after not being there for nearly a year and you expect things to be all right? Well it’s not all right, it’s not ok and we’re not ok.” He gripped the railings and she saw his knuckles turn from tan to white. He’s holding himself back she thought to herself, she smirked and looked at him.

“I didn’t come back and think things were going to be all right, but you know what I do know that if I continue to act like you and make everyone around them feel like they are walking on eggshells I will not go far.”

Yongguk took a deep breath closing his eyes. The look on his face was as if he was doing his best to not let all of himself go. He opened his eyes and looked at Zoey, the fire was gone.

“I loved you, I loved you so much and you left. You didn’t tell me why you wanted us to end, you didn’t tell me what we could do, what I could do to fix us. You just left. Do you understand how it feels to see you now, to have you right in front of me, I feel as though as if I’m seeing a ghost. So if I’m making people uncomfortable that is nothing compared to the feeling I get everytime you are around me.”

Zoey knew sooner or later that this would have happened that either one of them would break and confront one another. But she wasn’t hoping that tonight would’ve been the night.

“I don’t assume us to be best friends, or to be friends at all. I just want us to be ok. I want us to not act like we hate each other. I know my actions are not exactly forgivable and I don’t expect you to understand me. I can’t explain to you why I left but it had to do some good for the both of us. All I can say is that I was not the girl you needed, the girl, the woman for you is somewhere else; somewhere taking care of some child, or donating to some charity. I’m sorry if being around me is hard on you or angers you or whatever it does to you I am sorry.”

Yongguk started to close the space between causing Zoey to step back, he reached his hand to grab her arm pulling her to him. She stopped breathing entirely, she looked down at his hand and then up at him. There was no fight in his eyes, no aggressiveness they were soft. He his lips before speaking.

“What won’t I understand, I remember a time where you would tell me anything. I remember when there wasn’t one thing you kept from me or felt that I wouldn’t be able to comprehend. What is it? You didn’t love me? You fell out of love with me? There was someone else?”

Zoey took gasped she had forgotten to breathe whilst in his grip all she could focus on was his touch, the smell of his cologne radiating off of his body.

“No.” she shook her head before continuing “There wasn’t anyone and I don’t think me falling out of love with you could ever happened. I wasn’t- I’m not the woman you desire, I’m the exact opposite of that. I don’t want to get married. I don’t want to have children. How selfish would I have been if I would’ve led you to believe that I was that?”

“You think I would’ve broken up with you because of those things? No, because right now at this point in time I don’t want any of those things. I wanted you, I wanted you and I. You didn’t have to leave because of that you could’ve spoken up. Do you understand that by you leaving you left me with a pain and a wound that is taking a while to heal?  You leaving- just makes you a flight risk. You’re exactly what I was looking for from the way you look to your personality.”

Zoey looked down at his hand which had moved now to her own. She missed the warmth of his hand, the softness, the way her fingers would play with his delicate fingers. She looked back up at him and found that he had been looking at their hands too.

“I’m sorry.” She took a deep breath and a tear came out of her right eye trailing all the way down to her chin. He moved his hand to her chin to wipe the tear away.

“Me too.”

Just then a phone rang they both reached for their pockets to see whose phone was it that disturbed this moment. Zoey looked down at her phone and saw Hyorins ID photo pop up, she slid the phone to answer.

“Hey.” Zoey said in a solemn tone.

“Hey! Where are you?! I’m in front of your door and I’m drunk.” Hyorin began laughing on the other end.

“I’m coming over now.” She ended the call and looked at Yongguk who had retreated to the railing where she had first found him on.

“You have to go don’t you.” He looked down at the ground. She scratched her neck.

“Yeah. It’s late too it’s about to be 4:30 you probably have a busy day in the morning.” She her dry lips.

“Yeah it is late. I guess I’ll see you around.” He walked towards her stopping in front of her and put a hand on her head messing her hair. Zoey heard the door open and then close. She put a hand on her heart and tears were coming out. She loved him, she still loved him more than ever. What was in store for the both of them?