Chapter 9

Let's stay strong

The scent of home-cooked lasagna filled the home, making the modest home feel homier. Enthusiastic shrieks were heard from Bobby who was undoubtedly eager to claim a good sized serving of the meal.

Raein smiled warmly as she watched Bobby attempted to dip his finger into the lasagna only got hit on the hand by his mother. Mr Kim came out of the kitchen with the freshly squeeze juice and at the same time calling for her to have a taste of it. Bobby’s brother went out to get his girlfriend to join this mini reunion and should arrive soon.

“Come and have a taste.” Mr Kim had poured a generous portion of the juice into a glass and handed it towards Raein.

Raein nodded and had a sip before showing a thumb up.

At that time, the door was opened from the outside and in come the elder brother and his girlfriend. More yelling and cheers were heard and Raein was worried that the neighbours would start to complain soon.

She had always loved the warm feeling the Kims delivered. They were really nice people and had always made her felt welcome whenever she visited them.

And thus, she was not too concerned over the whole ordeal when Bobby asked her to join them for lunch; she had met his family and been invited to meals at her house many times before (even when Bobby was in Korea) for the past few years, so she was already aware of how affectionate the old couples were.

With the half-finished juice still in hand, she made herself comfortable on the old couch in the living room, looking at the surrounding despite having seen it multiple times. The walls were lined with different photos of him and other family members; mostly photos of him when he was little. Raein giggled at the sight of the photo of a toothy smiled little Bobby. Bobby had been begging his mother to take it down for years but for some reason, the picture was always there on display, leaving Bobby embarrassed every single time others pointed it out.

“Stop looking at those pictures and eat.” Bobby snapped her out of her trance of thought.

She turned towards him and stood up, giggling at his not amused expression. Bobby had his arms folded by his chest and tapping his foot on the ground.

“Alright alright.” She turned him towards the dining room and pushed him in that direction.

--------------

Lunch was proving to be a pleasant affair with the parents happily chatting away and Bobby added animated expression here and there.

They sat by a round table with dishes served on the table. It was as if Bobby never left in the first place and the ambience was as merry as it could be with the addition of Bobby’s brother’s girlfriend.

“I have always dreamt of having a meal like this.” Mrs Kim sighed with a happy gleam in her eyes.

Bobby looked up from his plate and swallowed his food before letting out a smile.

“We’ll definitely have more of this session, mum.” Bobby promised.

Raein looked at Bobby and unconsciously smiled as well. Bobby had always had this effect on people. And she could tell he got this gene from his lovely mother.

“You better!” Bobby’s brother pointed his fork at Bobby before everyone burst into laughter.

Mrs Kim clapped her hands to get the attention back to her. “Eat before the food gets cold.”

Everyone nodded and once again indulged in food again.

 

------------

It was a complete change when it came to dinner.

Dinner at Raein’s was about as cold and miserable as Alaska. Only the sounds of forks and spoons against the ceramic plates were heard. Her parents tried very hard not to let what they were thinking show on their faces, but Raein could easily see through it. She felt sorry for Bobby who was obediently and silently eating his portion of food, not even sparing her a look.

The room fell very cold and so silent that one could hear a pin drop. No one attempted to restart the conversation after a few awkward questions in the beginning.

She sighed inwardly and looked at her food.

Bobby broke the silence upon seeing that Raein’s parents were done with their food.

“Thank you so much for the lovely dinner. I believe it’s time for me to be on my way.”

“It was my pleasure. Hope the food is to your liking.” Her mother did her best to sound cheerful.

Bobby nodded and showered her mother with compliments about the food. He gradually got up and suggested to help with the cleaning but was politely rejected by her father.

Raein could only smile meekly and placed a comforting hand on Bobby’s back, telling him that it was okay.

“So, I guess I would get going.” Bobby bowed to her parents and walked towards the door.

“I’ll walk you out.” Raein followed him and walked him towards the door.

She could feel her parents’ eyes on her but she could care less about it right now. After letting Bobby out, she closed the door behind her and faced Bobby.

“I’m sorry about that.” Raein sighed, knowing well that her parents were very hard to be pleased.

Bobby shrugged and smiled. He brought Raein into a hug and rubbed her back.

“No worries. They were just worried about you.”

Raein frowned. “B-but…”

“No buts. Promise you won’t get into an argument with your parents because of me.” Bobby had her in an arm length, looking straight into her eyes with all seriousness.

Raein moved her lips before nodded slightly. She would try.

“Alright. I’m going. See you tomorrow.” Bobby gave her lips a peck and hugged her one more time, before sending her back into her apartment.

 

------------

When she entered the room, she immediately made a beeline into the kitchen where her mother was. All promises made with Bobby just a few minutes ago were thrown to the back of her head.

Her mother was silently washing the dishes and didn’t even turned her head to acknowledge Raein’s present.

“Really now mum? ‘Do you have any better job in mind?’ Really?” She stood next to her mother, not bothering to help with the chores like she always do.

“He’s not capable of…..” Her mother calmly voiced out her opinion.

“I don’t need that. I am capable of taking care of myself.” She rebuked, throwing her arms in the air.

“Why are you so sure?” Her mother had finished washing the dishes and proceeded to wipe her hand dry.

“Then why are you so sure as well?” Raein glared at her mother and all the respect and mannerism were thrown out of the window.

“Young lady! Do not raise your voice against your mother.” Before her mother could reply, Raein heard her father’s voice from the living room.

Raein stomped her leg and looked away from her mother.

“ I just wanted him to have a pleasant dinner.”

Her mother walked out of the kitchen with Raein following her out as well.

“And a pleasant dinner he had received.”

Raein opened , ready to say something harsh but a glare from her father shut her up.

“We just want what is best for you and Jiwon isn’t someone we are expecting…..” Her mother’s eyes softened as she turned to look at her daughter.

Raein raised her hand. “Save it. I’m going into my room.”

With that, she entered her bedroom, ignoring the calls for her from her mother. She locked the door and plopped on her bed. She knew that her parents were never supportive of the idea of them being together but they could at least act nice. She was disappointed beyond words. Whatever it was, she decided to go according to her view and rest early to start fresh tomorrow.