Chapter 8

Let's stay strong

“What are we doing here?” She whispered.

 

The pair was standing on the pavement directing to her university. Considering that it was currently semester break, the security guards on-post were not too particular about visitors. Students could still be seen loitering in the campus.

 

Bobby tugged onto her hand, asking him to follow her as they walked past the auditorium and up the stairs of a rather unfamiliar building to Raein. Her face gradually morphed into confusion when the dance studio came into view.

 

Bobby pushed the unlocked transparent door and entered with hands feeling on the walls to look for switches. Raein followed him into the room, being careful in the dark.

 

Yellow lights then lit the whole room. A smooth light brown wood floor covering, equipped with mirrors and media equipment. This was her first time stepping into this part of the university. The room was warm enough for them to take off their jacket and set them by the side.

 

“Are you sure we are allowed here?” She questioned, touching the walls and the mirrors with her hands.

 

“It’s unlocked in the first place. Besides, I’m with a student council member here. Don’t think I will get into much trouble.” He smirked.

 

“That doesn’t mean it’s okay to trespass.” Being a student council member did give her certain rights but she was sure this one was not in the memo.

 

Bobby waved her statement off and had finished setting up his ipod to the speaker at one corner and the first beat of the song surprised Raein.

 

“How do you even find this place?”

He smiled upon her question and led her to sit at one spot with back inclined on the mirror. She blinked at him, feeling confused.

 

“Talk later. Now focus.”

 

He pulled his snapback lower so that it was covering half of his face. His body started to flow with the pulsating music from the stereo. Moves became powerful and on point with every beat. Raein could feel her heart pounding with the beats. With mouth slightly open, she could only look in awe, feeling astonished and impressed with his dance.

 

When the music faded away and Bobby struck an ending pose, taking Raein’s breathe away. She applauded and shot him a wide smile.

 

“That was really impressive.” Her eyes were set on him as he clicked the pause button on his ipod and moved to sit right next to her.

 

“You like it?” Bobby took off his snapback, crystal beads ran down his forehead and starting to soak his eyebrows.

 

She nodded before grabbing some tissues from her handbag and gently dabbed on his forehand and the rest of his face.

 

Bobby closed his eyes, enjoying the pampering as his nose cringed up a little, a habit he had whenever he smiled or laughed too hard.

He then opened his eyes and met hers as she removed the tissue from his face. She tilted her head a little and smiled at him gently.

 

He inhaled deeply and cupped her face, rubbing his thumbs against her cheeks.

 

“Want me to teach you?”

Showing her something he loved was the main aim of their date today. He had this all planned and wanted to let her understand what he had been doing and would be doing in the future. They had been separated for so long that he felt that there was a need to understand each other again as if they were strangers who just met each other.

 

She held his hands, removing them from his face as she shot him a puzzled look, as if his suggestion was the most bizzare thing of all.

 

“What?”

 

Bobby wore his snapback on before taking her hands and urged her to rise to her feet.

 

“Dance.” He twirled her around the room and stopped in the centre.

 

“But Jiwon, I can’t dance.” She pleaded with her eyes with a pout to add on the effect. She had never really judge her own dancing before (excluding random moving of limbs to the music when she was alone in her room) and she would not want to embarrass herself here, definitely not right in front of Bobby.

 

“Come on baby, no harm in trying. I’ll guide you.” He pinched her nose before leaving her to select a song with decent beats, knowing that it would be easier for her to follow.

“B….but…” She was shying away from the centre but Bobby was fast enough to grip her hands and hold her in place.

“It’s just us here. Let’s have fun.” His face was just inches from hers and she felt her heart beating vigorously against her chest.

She hit his chest with some force, still reluctant.

Bobby rubbed his chest, feigning hurt. He then frowned slightly and swung her hand from left to right.

“Aww…come on babbbyyyyyy. Do you boyfriend a favour. Come onnnnn…..babbeeeeeeeee…..babeee….”

In fear of not getting what he wanted, he unleashed his infamous whining technique and did it rather loudly and Raein had to shut him up with her hands, in fear that other students would notice them here.

“Okay, okay. Just….just make it simple.” She sighed, totally letting him win this.

Bobby pumped his fist into the air before trying to teach her some moves. Her eyes were fixated on him, trying to understand the connection between the movements of the arms and legs at the same time. She attempted to mirror his, obviously lacking in certain aspects but they could have care less. She was no professional dancer anyways. She was just doing this for Bobby and was embarrassed yet delighted to see Bobby laughing and teasing at some of her awkward movements.

After several minutes or hours (she wasn’t keep tracking of the time), Bobby concluded that she was ready to dance along with the song. Raein’s eyes nearly popped out of her eye sockets. Protests were however, fell on deaf ears again.

They danced in a pattern that she could barely grasp but with an intent she knew well enough. As the music flowed from the speaker, he sang along. His rich, husky voice mimicked the song artist and nearly cracked at certain parts, earning more laughter from her.

She completed the moves that he taught her earlier and stopped but the music did not end there. Bobby kept dancing but now he was moving towards her. She stood as still as a log when his fingers brush her bare hands. He gradually led her back into the dance. She could feel the slight callouses on his fingertips, the heat of his body against hers. He entwined his fingers with hers and made her hands moved as he instructed.

Raein felt anxious and only let him guide her. She concentrated on his face and that was a mistake. Instead of calming her racing pulse, it sent her heart into overdrive. His eyes were slit-like but shinning with merriment. The corners of his lip were twitching upwards as they danced.

As the song came to a close, their heads moved closer together, lips an inch apart. His lips were dry and he realised how much he wanted to kiss her. As he leaned in closer, the breath from his mouth reached her lips, causing the faintest tickle.

"This time you get to say 'no' if you want," he asked for permission to proceed, his arm brushing her waist as he leans in towards her.

She raised her hands to his chest. "No."

Bobby stiffens, moving his head away from her, flexing in protest and dismay at her words. "No?"

Perhaps it was cruel to after such a long time. "No, I do not wish to say 'no.' "

One moment's smile was all she was permitted before his mouth comes down on hers, blotting her out of thought.