Chapter 7

Let's stay strong

Tall trees, seats in the shade and flower beds led the eyes to glassed-in stores selling all manner of goods. After finishing a hearty breakfast which consisted of continuously tossing a part of their food into each other’s plates, they decided to have a walk down the pavement towards stores.

 

Bobby and Raein moved towards the nearest store front.

 

“Oh look at those. So pretty,” Raein pulled on Bobby’s arm pointing towards a shop which glowed with beautiful dresses, bags and shoes. Willingly, he followed her, delighted by her exclamations of joy at her discoveries. Elated, she found one shop after another, not necessarily buying anything from the shops but just browsing through what the shops had to offer. Bobby happily compiled and insisted her to purchase some of the dresses.

 

The happy pair walked and shopped into the afternoon. A shop across the street caught Bobby’s attention and an idea struck him. He tugged onto her hand and stirred her away from her straight pavement towards the zebra crossing.

 

She just let him led to wherever he wanted; feeling too lazy to question what was in his mind. When he stopped in front of a store that she would normally shy away, she looked at him curiously.

“Why are we here?”

“Got to get you some new clothes.” He said cheerfully, reaching for her hand to pull her into the store.

 

Despite shopping for more than 2 hours now, she didn’t purchase anything since nothing had caught her attention yet. Bobby insisted that they should get something that both of them could remember this day with.

And with that in his mind, Raein never forgot the next hour. He browsed through the selection like a top fashion critic, choosing only the finest for her. She was sticking to him like a lost puppy, extremely confused when it came to this part of the world. 

“Go and change into them.”

Once he noticed he picked a bit too many articles of clothing, he gently pushed her into the changing room.

She tried on several outfits and each time Bobby would examine them closely. Arch of an eyebrow indicated his dissatisfaction and a broad smile to express his approval. Her protests fell on deaf ears and he waved most of her opinions aside.

“Just treat this as doing me a favour, hm?” And he just had to sum it up with that killer eye smile of his. Who could reject him when he pulled that trick out?

After a while, he purchased two outfits for her and made her wore one of them out.

 

“Are you sure? This is so not me.” Raein looked at herself in the mirror.

Loose white top with the word “hip-hop” printed in black, revealing her inner half black tank-top that clung to her body, black pants hung loosely at her hip and the red converse shoe.

She glanced at the clothes that were thrown into a plastic bag near her foot. Raein was the type who dressed casually. She came into the store with pastel shirt that extended a few centimetres shy from her knee with a navy coloured pants. A grey jacket was worn over it. Now, she would be walking out with something extremely different from her usual.

Bobby stood next to her and viewed their reflection before smiling and nodding in satisfaction at her look. He took out two snapbacks of the same design which he just bought. He carefully wore one on her head before brushing his hair back and put the snapback on.

“But you look so hot.” He leaned towards her and gave her a kiss at her cheek.

She was too focused on her look to respond and tried to lift her pants a little higher, fearing that it would get pulled off.

Bobby chuckled at her action before holding her fidgety hands and kissed both of them.

“No worry. You look fine.” His eyes shining with laughter and adoration.

She fidgeted, still feeling uncomfortable in the outfit. Firstly, the lady in the mirror was definitely not her. Secondly, she didn’t think she pulled it off well, despite constant reassurance from her boyfriend.

“Hey, clothes are expressions of your personality” Bobby cooed at her appearance.

“And, this is not really me.” She frowned and pouted.

Bobby laughed and pinched her cheek lightly.

“Not your appearance maybe. But I guess your attitude suits hip-hop a lot.” Independent, strong-willed and straight-forward remarks, all the qualities he adored but sometimes could drive him into annoyance.

“One more thing.” He rummaged for something in his pocket.

She turned towards him and put both hands up in front of her chest in defense.

“Better not be some thick gold chains or anything that people hang on their neck.”

Bobby laughed and shook his head. Raein was too fragile to carry the gold ropes either. He took his hand out, holding it in a fist before leveling his hand at the level of her eyes. She gave him a confused look before Bobby loosened his fist slightly, letting a necklace dangle from his fingers.

Raein’s eyes widened and touched the ring that was held by the thin silver chain.

She caught his eyes looking nervously at her reaction. He then rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly and smiled.

“Do you like it?”

He loosened the grip he had on the necklace and let it fell to her hands.

“Did you design this?” She felt the metal with her fingers and hand and awed at the design.

“Yea…” He nodded. Cheeks were turning slightly pink.

That was what he could think of after turning his brain inside out. He hoped to give her something unique and personal. And that was also the only idea Jinhwan and Hanbin fully supported.

She smiled. “It’s beautiful.”

Just when she was about to slip the necklace over her head and give it a go, Bobby smiled and stretched his hands towards her.

“Allow me.” 

Gathering her long hair and draping it over one side of her shoulders as he reached behind her and secured the small silver clasp.

“Is this a secret?” She was expecting the ring to feel cold and hard against her skin and surprised to find it quite warm and comforting instead.

He brushed her hair back over her shoulder, letting it fall just shy of her waist.

 “No, it’s not a secret. Though you probably shouldn’t flaunt it either.”

She nodded, knowing well how sharp Korean fans could get and that had never ceased to amaze her. She didn’t want to be the center of attention, at least not yet in the Kpop entertainment world.

“Am I the only one having this?” She adjusted the necklace slightly.

Bobby smiled and raised his left hand up. A band of the same design was fitted nicely around his ring finger.

“Cool.” She held his hand up to examine his ring.

This was officially the first couple item they had, in addition to the snapback Bobby just bought (which Bobby insisted was a couple item as well).

“I’m glad that you like it.” Bobby kissed her forehead and turned her so she was now facing the mirror.

“Ready to go?” He hugged her from the back, resting his head at the crook of her neck.

“After one photo.” She raised her mobile and took a picture of both of them in their current position.