Chapter 4

Let's stay strong

Bobby had bags in both hand and he refused to let Raein help him. Raein huffed in annoyance and was reluctant to let him do all the work.

“It’s fine. I wanted too.” He flashed her a smile and knew that it had the ability to melt her.

She rubbed his arm before sighing.

They had finished shopping for groceries in the supermarket and were headed to a rather crowded area. They passed vendors peddling all types of wares—everything from hand-dipped candles to small wooden toys—their patrons offered kind words or smile in exchange.

Bobby got to re-experience how busy the streets could be. They walked alongside fruit stands, candy stores and a few trendy boutiques, with Raein pointing out her favourite shops and talked about interesting events happening around that area from time to time.

“Let’s head for coffee.” She had been itching to have a nice cup of coffee in this cold weather. She rubbed her hands together and blew hot air into them, hoping to warm them.

Bobby noticed this and decided that it was a good time to hold her hand. He silently and naturally shifted the grocery bags from his left hand to his right, taking extra care about the glass bottles of sauces she just bought. He peeked at his side and saw Raein had her hands by her side, swinging naturally as she walked.

“Now is the time.” He thought.

He made a fist with his hand and released it, walking closer so that their fingers could touch. He eyed her hand and made an attempt to grab it.

He expected to feel a soft texture but ended up catching the air. He peeked at their hands and noticed that she had swung her hand to the front. He looked back to the front, acting natural and tried his luck again.

Again, he could only feel his fingers touching against his palm. He knitted his eyebrow and this time, he snapped his head to where their hands were.

Now she had rested both her hands behind back.
“What?” She looked at the direction he was looking and inched herself away from him.

“Ah..nothing.” Bobby rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

Raein shrugged and started to talk to him about her university life.

Bobby was seen nodding along but his attention was there at all. He tried to hold her hand again and again, but his timing was always off and could only hold the air. He told himself to be patient and he could feel his hand sweating already, despite the cold. He rubbed his hand against his coat and attempted again.

“We’ll be heading there. That place serves one of the best coffee.” Raein pointed at an area ahead and smiled.

“Aah.” Bobby looked ahead, avoiding her eyes and nodded.

He stood on tip-toed as if he was trying to locate the place.

Raein nodded before rubbing both her hands again and tugged them into her pockets to shield them from cold.

Bobby saw this and mentally scolded himself for being not quick enough. He was so close to hold her hand but things just didn’t seem to go his way.

He eventually gave up and let his hand dangled freely at his side.

Raein turned away from Bobby and let out a silent laugh. All of Bobby’s little movement was seen with her peripheral sight. She didn’t mean to take it that far, but it was fun to see him pouting after a fail attempt.

But how could she stop when he looked so adorable when he concentrate so hard on trying to look subtle. She collected herself and spared him a glance to see Bobby with his eyebrows knitted, eyes trained on the floor instead of looking forward, looking so forlorn.

She decided to be good and gradually took her hand out and placed them by her side.

With his head still low, Bobby saw her hand and his eyes instantly lit up with hope as he attempted again. He grabbed his hand in a fist, trying to observe the pattern of swinging. Once he had grasped that, he unclenched his fist and grabbed her hand, taking extra care not to put too much force in it.

Raein felt her hand being enveloped in warmth and faked a surprise expression. She looked down at their entwined hands and looked back at Bobby.

Bobby, however, just looked ahead, pretending as if nothing unusual just happened. Raein smiled and pink tinged her cheeks as she looked away, pretending nothing happened as well.

“It’s getting crowded in here.” He walked closer towards here; their arms now brushing against each other.

Raein laughed and nodded. There wasn’t much of a crowd but she didn’t want to burst his bubble and let him do whatever he wanted.

It had been so long since she held his hand. It was much bigger now, warmer, less bony. She looked at their entwined hands once again and gave it a squeeze to make sure she was not dreaming.

Bobby looked at her when he felt her eyes were not on her anymore. He was screaming like a high-school girl internally and he bit his lips, trying to suppress his excitement. He ticked the achievement box in his head and turned away from her to let out a silent laugh. Her hand seemed so small in his and he squeezed her hand back when he felt her squeezed. Both were then immersed in trying to squeeze each other’s hand with all their might. Bobby, obviously had been gentle on her and to be honest, her strength was nothing he could not handle.