Chapter 5

Let's stay strong

It was a few minutes to noon. Bobby had both his hands tucked in his black coat pockets, eyes glancing at the entrance every few minutes. He looked at his watch, noting that it should be about time for the last lecture of the morning to end. He was standing out in the courtyard waiting for her around noon for lunch.

Bobby had self-declared that he would be walking her to classes, much to Raein’s dismay. Bobby just shrugged and gave her a silly smile; it was not like he had much to do at home as well. His parents and older brother had to work and staying at home watching chick flicks were just not his thing. He preferred to be outside, closer to where Raein was, despite had to be in the cold for a few hours. He didn’t mind, really. He rarely got any of this freedom of doing nothing, without disguise.

Ever since the videos from ‘Who Is Next: WIN’ were aired, he had to be extra cautious when he was heading outdoor, even when he just wanted to take the trash out at night. He had to hold up to his image as requested by President Yang and showed no weariness despite being super tired when he bumped into fans. He really appreciated the fact that he and his group members were being showered with love and support, but sometimes, he missed being normal. He chuckled at that thought, ever since he was accepted as a trainee, not one part of his life was of the same track as a normal people, wasn’t it?

“Long time no see.”

The voice broke his thought and Bobby turned to its source and met a person he was reluctant to see. Jared had books in one hand and a bag slung on one shoulder, nodded slightly at him as a greeting.

“What can I help you with?” Bobby glanced at the entrance to see some students had already made their way out of the building and he moved his head left and right to see if Raein was among them.

“Raein won’t be out until at least ten minutes later.” Jared glanced at his watch.

Bobby gave him a confused look and was tempted to ask further but had prevented himself from doing so.

Both then stood in silence with Bobby facing away from Jared, a sign to show the latter that he was not interested initiating a conversation.

“So why not we have a chat?” Jared adjusted his bag a little, already feeling the weight on his shoulder as time went.

“There’s nothing to talk about.” Bobby shot him a look before turning back to the entrance.

“Then just stay put, while I talk.” Jared sighed.

Bobby shrugged. It was not like he could just shut his ears or pulled out Jared’s vocal cord.

“ Look, I’m not here for a fight.” He held his hand up.

Bobby looked back at him with interest and admitted that Jared looked less annoying today.

“Okay. We’ll talk then.” Bobby was never an unreasonable person.

Since he would still have to wait for Raein, might as well make use of the time by finding more about this guy.

Jared walked a few steps away and sat on the bench by the tall bare tree as he placed his books by his side. Bobby fall into steps with him and sat on the other end of the bench.

“I like Raein.”

Bobby looked at him with his peripheral vision before looking back to the front.

“You’ve made it pretty obvious that time.” Jared smirked as a response.

“Until a ‘boyfriend’ showed up.” Jared made air quotes as he spoke.

Bobby raised one of his eyebrows.

“Any problem with that?”

Jared shrugged. His presence might had bothered him, but he was not going to let him had that satisfactory feeling.

“So, how long have you two been together?” Jared continued asking.

Bobby snickered. “Why would you want to know?”

Jared could sense the reluctance in his tone so he just let it passed. It was not like he was desperate to know.

“Raein and I…our history began way back in high school and had been in the same courses throughout…until now.”

Bobby looked at him weirdly, trying to make sense of what he was talking about.

“What are you implying?”

Jared gave that annoying smirk of his again and this time, Bobby was tempted to punch it off his face.

“Just a fair warning, we might get too friendly in the future.”

Bobby instantly leaned slightly towards him, just to make sure he didn’t misheard his statement.

“Excuse me?”

“All the proms, companionships that you have missed out, who do you think did she go with?”

“Are you—“

Jared took that as a cue to continue provoking.

“Bet she didn’t tell you.”

There was a couple seconds of silence between the two before Bobby pressed his anger back to his origin and asked calmly.

“Why are you telling me this?”

Jared ruffled his chocolate brown hair and sighed.

“In all honesty, Bobby, I mean no harm. You and I know about how complicated the entertainment industry is. It’s too much for her.”

“What? Entertainment industry?” Bobby was taken aback by the terms and looked at him with a mix of surprise and confusion.

“YG entertainment, isn’t it? All these Kpop stardom business is too complicated for normal people to fit it.” Jared smirked once again as he tilted his head a little to meet his eyes.

“You don’t know half of the things going there.” Bobby’s face turned dark as he looked away from his intense glare.

Frankly, he wasn’t any better when it was about stardom business but he would not just back out from the conversation.
“I just don’t want her getting hurt.” Jared folded his arms by his chest as he stretched his legs. The cold was getting to him.

“I won’t hurt her.” Bobby answered with utmost confidence and that surprised Jared a little.

Jared shook his head, unfolded his arms to wave a hand in front of him.

“With all these going out soon, how can you be so certain?”
“Do not take our relationship lightly. I have no intention of breaking it.” Their relationship had been ongoing for so many years now and at least he was sure, their relationship could sustain.

“How firmly are you holding that statement? Long distance relationship can be a pain and how are you so sure she won’t be the one to initiate break up later on?” Jared knew he sounded jealous but he was always a person who was pretty vocal about his thoughts, so he saw no fault in this.

Bobby stayed quiet, knowing that all he had told him were the truth. No one could be certain of the future and the changes in her opinion.

“Just think about it. At the end of the day, we just wanted what is the best for her.”

Jared gave a winning smile when he saw a lack of response from Bobby.

Bobby sighed and pressed his lips into a firm line.

“It’s her who would be deciding on this. Even if she didn’t choose me, I doubt she would choose you. You’re too annoying.”

With that, he left with Jared sitting on the bench. The latter stood up and grabbed his shoulder, making him forcefully turned. He raised his fist ready to swing his fist into his face, feeling frustrated that he didn’t achieve his aim of the talk.

“Do it. Let’s see how you get out of it when you explained this to her.” Bobby challenged him.

After a while, Jared reluctantly released his grip and readjusted his shirt, before walking away, as if nothing happened just now, not forgetting to grab his books and bag.

Bobby rolled his eyes and sighed. He pinched the bridge of his nose. He knew where Jared was coming from but called him selfish or whatever, he wasn’t planning of letting Raein go just yet. 

 

----------------------

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

Raein decided that they should just have takeaway and eat at Raein’s place. Both had finished their lunch and were sitting close to each other on the creamy couch. Raein had pushed him to tell her the source of his inattentiveness and Bobby just blurted everything out.

“I just didn’t think it was an important detail. He was one of my closest friends back then, nothing more nothing less.” She rested her head on his shoulder, looking up at him.

“I see. Don’t be too close to him.” Bobby lifted his hand and her cheek, as he turned slightly to meet her gaze.

“Why?”

Bobby knew Jared was not a bad guy, but he was not too nice either.

“I just don’t like it.”

She giggled, wondering if he was jealous of how close she and Jared were. But that was ages ago and she had no intention of going back to how they used to be….

“Since you have been so good to me these days, I’ll consider that.”….But Bobby didn’t have to know that…

Bobby’s eyes widened and she thought his eyeballs were going to pop out any time soon.

“What do you mean by “I’ve been so good to you these days”, I have always been, if you haven’t noticed.”

She laughed and rubbed the creases in between his brows.

“I was just kidding. Of course you are the best.” She turned and allowed her arms to lock behind his neck and gave his cheek a peck.

“Not forgiven.” He puckered his lips and narrowed his eyes, hinting what he wanted.

She laughed and pushed his lips away with her hand. She stood up almost instantly and ran away. Bobby was shocked by the response and laughed before following where his girlfriend went.