Chapter 12

Let's stay strong

After spending hours cuddling on her bed, they untangled themselves and both were lying on their back facing the ceiling. She sat up suddenly after glancing at the clock and looked back at Bobby who was still occupying a side of her bed.

Bobby glanced at the clock as well but made no move to sit up.

She smiled as she patted on his thigh.

“Up now, baby.”

“No…” Bobby whined and turned away from her, snuggling into her blanket.

She laughed as she grabbed his arm and tried to pull him up. All attempts failed since Bobby was not being cooperative.

“Seriously, Jiwon. Up now.” She rested her head on his arm and her finger played with his hair.

“I don’t want to.” His voice was muffled by her blanket but was still audible.

“Mmhmm.” She responded as she kissed his cheek and pulled the blanket out of his grasp.

Bobby suddenly turned, making her lost balance and fell onto his awaiting embrace. He immediately secured his hug, locking her in an uncomfortable position. She wiggled, trying to break free but he was just too strong.

“Kim Jiwon!” She pouted as she gave up struggling.

Bobby laughed as he shifted her a little. She now had her head on the crook of his neck with his hand on the back of her head.

“I don’t want to leave.” He pressed his cheeks against her head and his brows merged.

“I don’t want you to leave either.” She rested her chin on his shoulder and bit her lips.

He then slowly loosened his arms and she took that as a sign to leave his hug and sat up. Emptiness hit him and he released a grunt before sitting up as well.

She got out of the bed and combed her hair with her fingers. She reached her hands out to drag Bobby out of the bed. This time, Bobby compiled.

She walked out of her room and into the kitchen with Bobby tailing behind her. She poured water in a glass and drank half of it before offering it to Bobby. Bobby drank it in one gulp and placed the glass on the table.

“Time to go, big boy.” She whispered and let out a small smile.

He glanced at the clock to check the time once again. He nodded and let her took his hand as they walked to the door.

She stood on her tiptoed and ruffled his hair. He tilted his head down a little to make thing easier for her. She took the snapback that he left on the dining table when he came and wore it on his head like he always did.

“Done.” She let her hands slipped down the hat and to his cheeks before letting them slide to his chest.

Bobby opened his mouth and was about to say something when the door was opened before them. Raein had her hands off him and stood by his side. Two figures appeared at the door and he instantly took off his snapback and bowed in respect.

“Oh, Jiwon ah. Hello there.” Raein’s mother nodded at him as she took off her shoes.

Raein’s father smiled and greeted him as well.

“Hey mum and dad.” Raein smiled and took her dad’s suitcase from him and placed it in his office room.

“When are you going back to Korea?” Her mother asked Bobby turned away from Raein.

“Tomorrow.” He smiled as he fiddled with his snapback, nervousness was evident within him.

“I see. Safe flight.” Her mum gave Bobby a hug and her dad just patted at his back before shaking his hand.

Bobby felt a little awkward whenever it was only him and her parents. He had a feeling that her parents were not that accepting of his arrival, but he shrugged it off and thought that he was just overthinking.
 

Raein came back and saved Bobby from feeling more uncomfortable than he already was. Bobby said his farewell to her parents before wearing back his snapback and walked out of the door with Raein.

“I guess this is it.” She closed the door and leaned against it, looking up to meet his gaze.

“This is it…” he repeated her words softly while grabbing her hands.

“I’ll walk you out.” She dragged one foot in front of the other but was stopped by Bobby.

“No. Just stay here.” Bobby pulled her back to her original position by the door.

“But…”

“No buts. Just see me out from here.” He whispered.

Knowing his intention, she just nodded, blinking back the tears that were threatening to stream down.

“I’m going now.” He gave her a kiss on her forehead before moving to her lips briefly.

She nodded, swallowed hard and was hoping that the kiss was longer.

Bobby turned his back towards her and the distance between them increased gradually but surely.

After walking a few steps away, Raein voiced out his name unconsciously. Her voice shaky and scratchy as though it was the first time she had used it all day.

Bobby’s heart cracked upon hearing her voice. When he turned, all he could see was her. Both locked eyes for a few second before she broke into a run and rushed into his arm. Feeling his wonderful warmth as she pressed her body to him. She buried her face into his chest, shoulder, neck to feel the heat that she knew she would miss so badly.

Bobby had his arms wrung tightly over her body as he closed his eyes to drink in the feeling of having her in his arm. A lone tear ran down his cheek and he wiped it off with the back of his hand. But when he felt the front of his shirt sticking to his chest, he could not help but allowed the rest of the tears in his eyes to cascade as well.

Both were in their own world for a few moments before Raein pushed against his chest, slightly breaking the hug. She broke into a laugh as she saw Bobby’s teary eyes. She reached out and wiped away the tear stains. Bobby mirrored her action before reaching down and caught her lips in his. They shared an innocent kiss before he rested his forehead against her.

“I love you. Let’s stay strong, alright. ” She peered into his deep dark eyes when he said it.

She smiled through tears and nodded before pecking his lips. “I love you too,”

They gave each other one last hug. He walked her to her door and let out a sigh.

“I’m going now.” He patted her head.

She only nodded, not trusting herself to speak right now.

He walked backwards with eyes still fixed on hers.

“See you soon.” She finally gave a small wave and smiled.

“See you soon.” Bobby waved and gave her a flying kiss.

He gradually turned and walked towards the elevator. He forced himself to not turn back. With heavy footsteps but chin up, he turned at a corner and walked towards the elevator. When he was in, he could no longer control himself and broke down into tears. He buried his face into his hand as he shamelessly let out the sadness he had in him.

-----------------------

Raein watched as he walked out of her vision. She tried to imprint his back into her memory and kept it locked. She knew she would not be seeing that for a while. She had stood by her door for quite a while to make sure that Bobby had left. Only then, she walked into her apartment and locked the door. She closed her eyes and rested her head against the door for a brief while. She took a deep breath before opening her eyes and paced towards the living room.

Her parents were sitting on the sofa with the television on, but she knew they were paying no attention to the program.

“Come sit with us, sweetie.” Her mum motioned her to join them in the living room and she compiled.

The volume of the television was reduced so that they could talk without distraction.

“How are you feeling?” Her mum sat closer to her and placed her hand on hers.

“I’m alright. Not to worry.” She smiled and promised her mum that she would be alright.

Her mum responded with an encouraging smile and nodded.

She felt guilty for making her parents worried about her so much. They had become quite skeptic about her relationship with Bobby ever since he came back. They never questioned about her relationship and since she never mentioned it, they thought the relationship had ended. She never gave explanation regarding that as well and just letting things played out as they should.

“Hey sweetie, we’re not disapproving  your relationship but I see no future in it.” Her father voice interrupted her trains of thought and she turned to look at him questioningly.

“Hey! What are you talking about?” Her mum immediately swatted her hand towards her husband as if telling him that it was not the right time for this.

“She needs to know.” Her father saw no problem in his statement and continued to voice his opinion. He only wanted the best for his daughter.

Raein surprisingly didn’t feel annoyed by that statement. Perhaps deep down, she knew that it would be hard for this relationship to work.

“Raein, you will be working here and he would be all the way at Korea. I can’t see the stability in this.” His father continued.

She had to admit that she would sometime think about this as well. High chances that she would be working in the States, if not any countries with English as the main spoken language and that naturally cut Korea out of the list. She was sure Bobby would not give up what he had been fighting for and she didn’t want to be the reason for that as well. He had worked too hard to reach his goal and he was just inches away from it.

“Then what do you suggest?” She whispered, glancing between her parents.

Her mum patted her hands as Raein met her eyes.

“We are not suggesting anything. We are just asking you to think about it. Jiwon is a nice boy, no doubt about that, but sometimes, not everything is granted the way the way we want to be.”

She nodded and acknowledged her mum’s word. Feeling reluctant to continue this conversation, she excused herself to her bedroom and promised she would think about it.  She walked towards her table and looked at the latest polaroid photo of Bobby and her. The couple in the picture were smiling so sweetly and so much in love.

Her mobile vibrated and buzzed a little, signaling incoming of a text message. Her hand unconsciously reached her mobile at the other end of the table. She hesitated a little before unlocking her mobile and smiled at the name of the sender.

Baby. I miss you already. T____T.

She laughed before replying that she would call him later. She put her mobile down, as she waited for another text from him.

Her eyes unconsciously focused on the polaroid photo again. She touched the surface of the photo and smiled. She did not know what was installed in their future but she would let things naturally unfold before her. If they were meant to be, they would still be together after ups and downs. Whatever outcome of their relationship would be, she promised herself she would embrace it. All it mattered was the present and in the present, she loved Kim Jiwon.