Chapter 7

The Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Saturday morning comes by and Yoona was unable to asleep since last night. She just had too much on her mind. And no matter what she did she couldn’t seem to force her brain to take a rest.

She and Yuri maybe not in a good term right now, that’s what she believed. But she needed Yuri to know of her feelings, it’s enough for her.

Yoona pulled her car in the driveway. She stayed on the driver seat a while longer, wondering if this was going to be a great idea.

A simple confession would do. At least she has tried. And maybe just maybe, it was what would make a difference in everything.

After a moment, she stepped out from the car and walked down the lawn of Sunny and Taeyeon’s house and made her way to the backyard. Yuri’s room (the basement) is behind the main house.

Yoona finds herself in front of Yuri’s door. The moment has arrived. She collects herself, takes a deep breath and knocks.

After a minute someone answers the door. Wearing Yuri's shirt with almost nothing on underneath.

Yoona stared at the woman unsurely.

“Can I help you?” The woman asked.

“Is Yuri’s here?”

“Yeah,” The woman glanced back to inside the room where Yuri still sleeping. Then she turned her attention back to Yoona and smirked, “She’s in the shower,”

“Oh well…” Yoona takes in this woman's attire and the ramifications of it. “You must be Gyuri.”

“Yes, that’s me. Yuri’s fiancée. And who are you?”

Yoona was confused with the word ‘fiancée’, just thought of them back together hurt her.

“I am Yoona, Yuri’s friend.”

Gyuri nodded simply.

“Would you tell her that I came by to see her?”

“Oh, yeah,” Gyuri said, like she truly no longer cared. “Surely will, Yoora,”

“It’s Yoona,” Yoona corrected her, but Gyuri was no longer there to hear it.

The door already slammed shut but Yoona kept standing there and staring at it, unsure of what to do.

Emotions twisted inside her and she didn’t know why she was angry all of a sudden, fate couldn’t be this cruel and she still hoping that this was not happening.

Yoona felt like she needed to do something or she would literally exploded. Part of it had to do with Gyuri’s sudden appearance, but then she realized she wasn't just humiliated and heartbroken, she was angry.

How could I be so completely stupid? Yoona’s thought.

Angry tears swelled up in her eyes and she ran to her car and drove off.

 

*

*

 

“Wake up, sleepyhead,” Gyuri Yuri’s back, “This is the first day of our new life together.”

Yuri nuzzled her head deeper into the pillow and the soft touched eventually woke her up.

She tried to look over her shoulder, eyes half lidded in half sleep, “What the hell?? What are you doing here?”

“Well, you passed out last night, so I took care of you.”

“Passed out?” Yuri tried to remember last night’s event, “Why'd you take care of me?”

“I told you last night bunny, I realized my mistake and I'm so so sorry and I know I can figure out some way to make it up to you, cause I want to come back. I want to take care of you for good.”

“So last night, it’s not a dream?”

“No baby, it’s not a dream. Gyuri is back.”

“You want to come back?” Yuri asked, still very unsure what Gyuri was doing here.

“Yes, now I can learn to deal with the fact that you're just a wedding singer and not a rock star.”

“I don't want you to learn to deal with that.” Yuri kicked off the sheets and quickly got up from the bed. “That's not how it works. Geez!”

“I'm here to make things better Yuri. Look, I know I've acted badly, but I was afraid. And I know you, I know how good you are. You'll forgive me.”

“No, this is all wrong. You were so good at leaving, Gyuri. You'll never be as good at coming back!”

“Baby, calm down.” Gyuri said while crawling over the bed, “Maybe we should talk about this when you're feeling better.”

Gyuri started walking to Yuri but she put her hand up, halting the girl.

“Hey psycho…” Yuri’s face hardened as she shot a stern gaze, “I'm not gonna feel better about this. You slaughtered me in front of thousands of people and left me to die and now you want to come back? No, It's over!”

The sudden look of resentment has caught Gyuri off guard. Her eyes meeting Yuri's irritated ones.

“Now, get out of my SMTOWN t-shirt, before you jinx the company and their stock fall down and sweep the floor.”

Gyuri let out a laugh in disbelief. “Oh, I see… You're still pissed about that wedding thing, huh?”

Yuri raised an eyebrow, why does Gyuri talk like nothing has happened to their past relationship? She’s the one who ruined their relationship, yet she’s easily mentioned it like she didn't do anything wrong.

“Be gone!” Yuri pointed to the door, she was beyond angry.

“You don’t mean it, right honey?” Gyuri practically begging even when she already in the doorway.

“I mean every word of it. Besides, I realized I was never really in love with you, cause now I'm really in love with someone else.”

“What-“

Gyuri got cut off with the slamming of the door. She looks around to see if anyone saw, the whole thing was embarrassing for her. She straightens herself and goes.

 

*

*

 

Later on that morning,

Taec is in bed still asleep and bearing the mark of a bruise where Yuri hit him the night before. He is sleeping soundly, hungover, when Yoona burst in the room and jumps on the bed, shaking him awake.

“Taec! Wake up! C'mon it's me... You have to wake up, it's important!”

Taec let out an irritated growl, he drowsily opened his eyes and once his vision cleared he smiled, wickedly.

“Oh, hey baby girl. You gonna make breakfast in bed?” Taec mumbled sleepily.

“Actually, I've been thinking it and I thought why spend all this money on some big ceremony. I don't need a ceremony. Married is married, right?”

Through Taec's haze, the importance of what Yoona just said hits him. He smiles big.

“That's what I always said. But why this energetic change of heart?”

“You know women. When they want to do something, they want to do it. I just realized that I've been really selfish. Making you do something you don't even want to do.” Yoona said with urgency.

“So, you wanna go to Vegas?” Taec quickly asked.

“Yes, the two of us. Now. Right now!” Yoona said, full of an urgency, almost to the point of anger because the thought of Yuri back together with Gyuri.

She had been such a stupid girl after all this time, held onto some small hope. Hoping that Yuri feels the same as her.

“Wow, all right. Let’s go.”

 

*

*

 

It is Mr & Mrs. Han's 50th wedding anniversary. All their geriatric friends, children and grandchildren smile and sway to Mrs. Han rendition of "Thinking Out Loud". There are tears in many guests eyes, including Mr. Han.

Don't ask why she chosen this song, she may be 70-years-old but her musical tastes is like 20’s.

Mrs. Han stands center stage, Mr. Han on her left, Yuri on her right playing gently on the guitar. Mrs. Han’s sings as well as they've heard her, with much warmth and confidence.

 

When your legs don't work like they used to before

And I can't sweep you off of your feet

Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love?

Will your eyes still smile from your cheeks?

 

And, darling, I will be loving you 'til we're 70

And, baby, my heart could still fall as hard at 23

And I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways

Maybe just the touch of a hand

Well, me—I fall in love with you every single day

And I just wanna tell you I am

 

So honey now

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

Place your head on my beating heart

I'm thinking out loud

That maybe we found love right where we are

 

When my hair's all but gone and my memory fades

And the crowds don't remember my name

When my hands don't play the strings the same way

I know you will still love me the same

 

'Cause honey your soul could never grow old, it's evergreen

And, baby, your smile's forever in my mind and memory

I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways

Maybe it's all part of a plan

Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes

Hoping that you'll understand

 

But, baby, now

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

Place your head on my beating heart

Thinking out loud

That maybe we found love right where we are

 

*

*

 

“Flight number 1156 is now ready for boarding. We'd like to ask passengers traveling with small children...”  A female’s voice comes out from the speakers around the boarding lounge.

Yoona looked at her ticket, she looked doubtful but she made the important decision of going along with it.

Maybe, it’s the only way of going on living happily.

 

*

*

 

Meanwhile,

At the ballroom, the party still continues and it Mr. Han’s turns to gives something to his wife. He stands in the center of the stage holding a microphone.

“Since I can’t sing, I wanted to see if Yuri would play a special song that represents my feeling toward my wife. This song is exactly the way I felt when she was away from me. Would you do it for us Yuri? Please?”

Yuri looks reluctant, but Mrs. Han and the audience cheer her on, till she arrives at the stage again.

Mr. Han smiled gratefully and whispered to Yuri a song he had chosen, then he walked down the stage back to Mrs. Han side.

Yuri sighed softly before reached for her acoustic guitar. She strummed once, adjusted the tension on two strings, then strummed again, soft quiet music. She hummed at first, then began to sing.

 

If you’re not the one, then why does my soul feel glad today?
If you’re not the one, then why does my hand fit yours this way?
If you are not mine, then why does your heart return my call
If you are not mine, would I have the strength to stand at all

I'll never know what the future brings
But I know you're here with me now
We’ll make it through
And I hope you are the one I share my life with

 

It was not only an instrument, but a way of uttering unspeakable words, indescribable feelings and unimaginable thoughts. Yuri poured her heart out to the song.

 

I don’t want to run away but I can’t take it, I don’t understand
If I’m not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?
Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?

If I don’t need you, then why am I crying on my bed?
If I don’t need you, then why does your name resound in my head?
If you’re not for me, then why does this distance maim my life?
If you’re not for me, then why do I dream of you as my wife?

 

Yuri looked down and saw her hands were shaking, and she smiled to herself. It was strange; she wasn’t normally this nervous, maybe because the lyric hits her really hard.

 

I don’t know why you’re so far away
But I know that this much is true
We’ll make it through
And I hope you are the one I share my life with,
And I wish that you could be the one I die with,
And I pray in you’re the one I build my home with,
I hope I love you all my life…

I don’t want to run away but I can’t take it, I don’t understand
If I’m not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am
Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?
 

It's got everything... sweet lyrics, slow rhythm, not to mention the husky voice of Yuri, making everything sounds perfect. Yuri looked up to see Mr and Mrs. Han on the dance floor, dancing slowly while embrace each other, she smiled at them.


‘Cause I miss you, body and soul so strong that it takes my breath away
And I breathe you into my heart and pray for the strength to stand today
‘Cause I love you, whether it’s wrong or right
And though I can’t be with you tonight
You know my heart is by your side…

I don’t want to run away but I can’t take it, I don’t understand
If I’m not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am
Is there any way that I could stay,

 in your arms...

 

Ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter