Chapter 5

The Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tuesdays and Thursdays were usual routine for Yuri gives singing lessons at Mrs. Han's, but it was Monday and since early in the morning she’s already at Mrs. Han's to helping her place a bird bath in the back yard.

“No, no... place it more over there under the tree. That's where the birds will come. They'll see it from the tree and they'll be so hot it'll beckon to them.” Mrs. Han gestures her hand to direct Yuri while she’s sitting on the bench like a boss.

“Here?”

“Yes, it’s perfect.” Mrs. Han looks satisfied, she waving her hand and calling Yuri to join her on the bench “Come here, have a drink to cool yourself.”

Yuri sits next to Mrs. Han and grabbed a glass of lemon squash on small wooden table.

“So, you still haven't been dating anyone new, have you?” Mrs. Han asks while swirling the straw in her glass.

Yuri shook her head. “No, not yet.”

“Is it your confidence?” When Yuri didn’t answer her immediately, Mrs. Han went on. “Are you nervous about your s?”

“What??” Yuri spilled out her drink from Mrs. Han’s sudden ridiculous question.

“Are you nervous about showing a new girl your s?” Mrs. Han asked again, with mischievous smile was plastered on her wrinkled face.

Geez… this granny is really something! Yuri’s thought.

“You were comfortable showing it to Gyuri. But now you might have to show your s to someone new, right?”

Yuri rolled her eyes. “My God, what's the matter with you Mrs. Han? Don't talk about that. Geez! Next subject, quick!”

But then Mrs. Han keep talking about nonsense stuff, more of erted stuff. Yuri started wondering maybe this granny is Taeyeon’s lost grandmother, or something must be related between them.

Yuri let out a heavy breath, “I'm gonna ask a girl when I'm ready Mrs. Han.”

“Well, let me help you practice until you are.” Mrs. Han volunteered herself and starts fixing her gray hair with her fingers. “Now, I'll be a young girl and you'll be Kwon Yuri.”

It needs tons of botox shots to straighten those wrinkles over Mrs. Han’s body to looks younger.

“So, ask me out.” Mrs. Han challenged Yuri while batted her lashes.

“God, I don't wanna do this.” Yuri muttered desperately under her breath.

“Hello y…” Mrs. Han make the first move, fluttered her eyelashes more.

“Hi?” Yuri said, hesitant to go.

“Isn’t it the time you should ask me something?” Mrs. Han winked at Yuri.

Yuri sighed. I must be going crazy playing along with this granny.

“Ok, would you like to go to dinner with me sometime?” Yuri finally asked.

“No.”

Yuri raised an eyebrow by Mrs. Han’s curt answer.

“Your s are too small.” Mrs. Han deadpanned.

“What the-?!” Yuri’s jaw nearly hit the floor, she was surprised by her straightforwardness.

Mrs. Han laughing so hard after looking at Yuri’s shocked expression. “I'm kidding, I'm kidding...”

But then Mrs. Han dropped the smile and turned serious, she took Yuri’s hand and pressed it lightly.

“Yuri, you'll know when you meet the right girl. Because it's not how you feel about her.” Mrs. Han smiled motherly, “But it's how she makes you feel about yourself.”

“Wow, that’s makes a lot of sense.” Yuri nodded in acknowledgement. “All that other stuff was ridiculous. But what you just said for now that made a lot of sense, Mrs. Han.”

At the creaking sound of the wooden fence in the backyard, the two turned their heads in the direction where all of sudden Yoona appears at the entrance, looking nervous.

“Oh, look who we have here.” Mrs. Han stood and walked closer to greet Yoona with a warm hug. “The precious angel.”

“Hi, Mrs. Han.” Yoona hugged back the granny. “How are the lessons going?”

“Well, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.” Mrs. Han smiled shyly.

“Yeah, she's starting to scaring less and less people when she sings.” Yuri said teasingly.

“Oh, Yuri, you're so funny.” Mrs. Han said sarcastically, but at the seconds she looks at Yuri who already fixed her smiling eyes on Yoona, there was a sense of acknowledgment in Yuri’s gaze.

“Well, no wonder you've been in a good mood lately, Yuri.” Mrs. Han continue talking with a small teasing smile on her face.

“What do you mean?” Yuri raised an eyebrow at the granny, but then she quickly grasped at who Mrs. Han was referring to. “Mrs. Han, Yoona's just a friend of mine. She's marrying someone else in August.” Yuri trying to explained.

“Aww… really? I'm old enough to know the real thing when I see it. I've forgotten a lot of other things, but there's no mistaking this. You two would make a great couple.”

Yuri and Yoona look at each other and smiling awkwardly. This is not the first time they heard about it.

“Alright then, I’ll go inside to brush my teeth, you two can talk.” Mrs. Han smiled toothlessly.

“Ok.” Yuri replied to Mrs. Han before turned to Yoona again and smiling. “Sorry, never know what she's going to say. And I was wondering what would she brush if she does not have teeth?”

Yoona just replied with small smile, she felt fidgety, unsure of whether this was going to be a great idea.

“Hey, everything all right?” Yuri asked in concerned.

“Yeah, actually, uhm, I came by to ask you something now.”

“What is it?” Yuri could feel that something was wrong because Yoona acted a bit different.

“Hmmm...” Yoona seemed hesitant, “Would you like to go out on a date…,”

Excitement slowly began to spread on Yuri’s face when Yoona mentioned about a date, and the paused moment makes her heart pounding uncontrollably, but she felt her heart breaking just right after Yoona finish talking.

“With Tiffany?” Yoona says nervously.

“What?” Yuri blinked her eyes several times to make sure she wasn’t hearing wrong name. “Uhh, you want me to go out on a date with Tiffany?”

NO… Yoona wanted to say but had failed her.

“Yes…” Yoona instantly regretted it, she could see Yuri's warm smile fading, but for some reason she couldn’t stop, “It'll be a double date, Taec and I are gonna go too.”

“Oh.” Yuri trying to sounds excited to hide her disappointment, “Well… Tiffany is nice.”

“Yeah…” Yoona’s regret becomes doubled. “And, she's single, and you're single.” She reasoned.

“Yeah.” Yuri said shortly.

“Tomorrow night at MIX?”

“The Resto and Bar that had the opening last week?”

“Yes. Come on, it'll be fun.” Yoona trying to lifted up the mood between them, even though she wasn’t sure herself.

“Yeah, sounds like fun.” But Yuri’s sad eyes said otherwise. She doesn't really know what to feel about going out with Tiffany, because right at the moment she realized that the person in front of her is someone who actually could give her the real meaning of fun.

But go out on a date with Tiffany… Well, trying won’t hurt, right?

Right?

 

*

*

 

Tuesday night came far too quickly, the place they have for double date is a fine dining Resto and Bar, even though it just a small place but it offers great views, a relaxing place and very cozy to stay. And the bar offered live music provided from acoustic solo to full band on Tuesdays thru Saturdays, making the place feels very native and homely.

Yoona and Yuri sit across from one another. Taec and Tiffany sit across from one another putting Taec next to Yoona and Tiffany next to Yuri. Only Taec is talking, he was babbling about his job, how glamorous his position is, and how different markets open and close recently. The others have moved their foods around in their plates, picking, and not really listening to Taec nor do they care. Even for Yoona, she trying hard to swallow her food but it became a hard thing to do when at the same time her heart started sinking in slow motion as she looks at Tiffany clinging on Yuri all night long.

“Yuri, you look so cool tonight.” A large smile was spread across Tiffany's face, and it made her smiling eyes brighten.

“Thank you.” Yuri smiles for courtesy. “Umm, I like your hair, you remind me with one of the girl in Taetiseo.”

“Yeah, that's the idea.” Tiffany smiled sweetly, while her hand caresses Yuri’s cheek, the sweet gesture making Yuri stiff in her seat, still not get used to Tiffany’s touchy habit.

Yoona was pretend that she was more interested on the food in her plate, anything to keep her distracted from the lovey dovey-unofficial couple in front of her. Something settled low in her gut, something very unwanted and uncomfortable.

“So we totally look like a couple.” Tiffany squeezed Yuri’s shoulder while looking at Yoona and Taec. “Don't you think we look great together?”

Yoona gave her a faint smile while Taec just nodded in agreement before take one sip of a big glass of beer. This over eagerness side of her cousin was a common sight for Yoona, but when it involved Yuri, she didn't even know how to respond to it.

A waiter walking past their table and Yoona stop him, “Hey?”

“Yes, Ma’am?”

“Can I have apple martini please?”

“Okay, I’ll get you one appletini.” The waiter nodded his head.

“Wow baby girl, I never know you’re into vodka?” Taec just smirked amusingly at his fiancé.

“Don’t forget I’m a waitress too, people always ask me for some ritzy drink.”

“Well, right.” Taec nodded casually, not even care nor does he remember that Yoona’s alcohol tolerance wasn't high.

But not with Yuri, even though Tiffany always distracts her, Yuri occasionally steals glances at Yoona, and when their eyes met, Yuri noticed mixed emotions cross over Yoona’s face.

After scribbling down some notes the waiter was about to walked away, but Tiffany stopped him again.

“Hey, can I request a song?”

“Of course, what song do you want to request? Our home band could take any song from ballad to reggae,” The waiter said proudly.

“Wait…,” Tiffany pouting thoughtfully, then smiles appeared on her face as she got a better idea. She motioned the waiter to bend down as she wants to whisper something.

The waiter nods understand and smile at Tiffany before leave the table.

Yoona looked at her cousin, and Tiffany had that look in her eyes, Yoona called it the "Fany Look", it was when she suddenly had an idea in her head - which was never a good one, like this double date. Then she remembered the kiss with Yuri a few days ago it was also because her cousin's idea, but that was exceptional and the kiss was amazing, she still couldn't get that kiss out of her head. For the first time in her life she silently thanked Tiffany and her mischief-genius-idea.

On the other side, Yuri wondering what Tiffany came up to. But there was a sense of amusement that seemed to sparkle in her smile-eyes.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?"

Everyone in the restaurant looks at the lead singer up on the small stage at the corner of the bar.

“Tonight, we’ll have a special performances, usually we called out to people that were willing to perform, but Miss Tiffany in the table eight has request for a solo performances by her date tonight, Miss Kwon Yuri, can you please join us at the stage?”

Yuri‘s eyes widened in surprised as soon as her name was called out.

“Tiffany, what-“

Tiffany cut her off, “Come on, you should go up there and sing a song!”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, I would love to hear you sing,”

"No I'd rather not." Yuri told her.

"But, you're so good. Please sing for me?" Tiffany whined.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter