Chapter 4

The Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It is the end of the night. Another birthday party already ended for today. The janitor sweeps the floor while Tiffany cleans tables with other waitress.

Yoona already finished with her work at the kitchen and approach Yuri who still on the stage with her band mates packing up their stuff.

"Thank you for recommending Sistar's for florist. The flowers were beautiful, and they didn't overcharge me." Yoona said as she took a seat at the edge of the stage.

"Good. I'm glad to hear that." Yuri smiled while rolling up the sound system cables.

"But I still need your help with this wedding stuff..."      

"You got Tiffany and your mother, right?"

"My mother lives 50 miles away and Fany's not into that kind of thing. So that really only leaves one person..." Yoona had a hopeful face at Yuri.

"How about Soo?" Yuri gesture her head to Sooyoung in the corner of the ballroom, shoving crazily with a leftover birthday cake, when her other hand still holding a spoonful of ice cream sundae.

Yoona looked at Sooyoung incredulously, what else this girl know besides eating and let it go lyrics?

Yoona turned to look at Yuri again, before the two laughing in unison.

"I would love to help, but you know,” Yuri shrugs and shook her head. “I just...l can't."

"I understand." Yoona sighed, her shoulders dropping hopelessly, "I just don't know how to go about this. I'm afraid I'm gonna pay $500 for a half-eaten wedding cake."

Yuri stopped rolling the cables and scratched her forehead in thought, debating whether this would led her to another hurt or…she doesn’t know, she couldn’t think anything.

Yoona flutter her lashes to charm Yuri, “Please…”

“Alright...” Yuri finally agreed, she wasn’t thinking straight these days anyway.

“Yes!” Yoona clapped her hands, getting excited just thinking to spending time together with Yuri.

 

*

*

 

At Photo Studio

“I have never done it for that cheap.” The old lady deny it.

Yuri needed to think of a different way of getting the low price for wedding photo. “I know for a fact you gave Jo Kwon and Gain that price, Mrs. Kim.”

“I did not.” Mrs. Kim still deny and avoid had an eye contact with Yuri.

“Mrs. Kim look at me,” Yuri coos softly. “Look me in the eyes. I'm right here.”

Mrs. Kim sighed in defeat.

“Don't look away. Did you give them that price or not?” Yuri still trying to convince Mrs. Kim that she already know the truth.

“OK. Just that one time. So you got me.” Mrs. Kim rolled her eyes, “I’ll give you the discount, happy now?”

“Yaay! Thank you, Mrs. Kim.” Yoona clapped happily before turned to Yuri and smiled thankfully. They shared a three second long stare before Mrs. Kim’s voice broke them, the two then look away, embarrassed.

“Can I say something?”

Yuri and Yoona looks at Mrs. Kim who put genuine smiles on her wrinkle face.

“I deal with a lot of people, but you two look truly happy.” Mrs. Kim said sincerely.

Yuri and Yoona turned to looking at each other with question in both their eyes.

“You two are gonna make it. I know. Believe me.” Mrs. Kim said optimistically.

“How do you know?” Yoona asks with half chuckled.

“Well…you can just look at a couple and you can tell right away.” Mrs. Kim said as her eyes going back and forth between the two. “They're gonna stay together forever.”

Yoona and Yuri stare at each other eyes again, smiling knowingly with Mrs. Kim’s words to them.

“Well, we’re not getting married. I'm just helping her,” Yuri corrected Mrs. Kim while her soft eyes still staring at Yoona’s. Her hopeful eyes said otherwise.

I would love to marry you, Yoona. Wait, what am I thinking? Yuri shook her head.

Yoona playing along with Yuri, “That's right. Actually, we're sister.” Yoona nudge Yuri playfully.

“Aww, really? I see… But I could sense closeness between you two, I thought…” Mrs. Kim not finishing her words, and somehow she feels disappointed at the fake fact that the two are sister. She really hopes the two getting married though.

“The weird thing is, when we were growing up we didn't get along 'cause I used to do this to her.” Yuri picked Yoona’s ear, making Yoona yelp.

“And I do this to her,” Yoona bite Yuri’s arm, making Yuri jumped up from her seat and yelp in pain.

And Mrs. Kim just shook her head at the immature lover sisters playing around and now the two were breaking into fits of giggles.

“Okay, Mrs. Kim thanks for the discount. We're gonna go now. Come here, sis!” Yuri locked Yoona’s head in her arm and dragged Yoona out from Mrs. Kim room.

“Hey, I'm telling Mom when we get home!” Yoona protested while punched Yuri’s arm playfully.

 

*

*

 

At Music Studio

“Oh wow, I've never seen it from this perspective before.” Yuri whispered to Yoona while the two sitting in the front row and looking at the trial performance of the other wedding singer since Yuri didn’t do it anymore.

“Is this what I look like?” Yuri asked, her tone urgent.

“No. You're much better than him.” Yoona said reassuringly. “He's ridiculous.”

The fat old man starts to dance weirdly and sticking his tongue every time he sing, like a maniac.

Yoona rolled her eyes. Come to think of it, it better to hear 'let it go' of Sooyoung version in her wedding party rather than hiring this old man.

The songs soon came to an end and the fat man steps down off the stage, and walked up to them.

“That was really good. Thank you.” Yuri said, trying to be polite.

“No. I should thank you.” The fat man said.

“For what?”

“For quitting.” The fat man smirked. “Or...should I thank Gyuri for making you quit?”

Yuri flinched a bit when the old man mentions the name she did not want to hear anymore. Yoona could see Yuri’s expression change.

“My business has tripled since after.” The fat old man smiled triumphantly.

“Oh that’s good then. But, you've just inspired me to hire a D.J...” Yoona said sarcastically to the fat man. “So forget it, I won’t hiring you.”

“Well, good luck finding a DJ who can move and shake like this.” The fat man shaking his body shamelessly in front of Yoona, making Yoona stepped back before throwing up her breakfast at the fat man’s face.

Yoona and Yuri shook their head, ignoring the fat old man leaving them with mocking face.

“How did you become a wedding singer?” Yoona sit down again.

“I think I got into it to make some money until my music career took off” Yuri said, sat next to Yoona.

“And you wanted to be a rock star?”

“Not really, I kind of just wanted to be a songwriter,” Yuri said dreamily. “That's the hardest thing to write a song.”

Yoona could tell that Yuri was excited, her eyes sparkling when she talked about her dream.

“A song that when people hear it they go, ‘Ohh, I know what that girl was feeling when she wrote that…’” Yuri smiled unconsciously and excitement infected Yoona to smile as well.

“Have you written anything lately?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Will you play it for me?”

“You don't want to hear it. It's not good.”

“No, I'm sure it is.”

“I wrote half of it when I was with Gyuri and I wrote the other half after we broke up.” Yuri said helplessly, “So it's little uneven, you know?”

“I don't mind. I'd like to hear it.”

“Really? All right…” Yuri said in defeat as she walking to the stage and grabbed a guitar with her.

Yoona clapped her hands excitedly. “Yaay!”

“I just want to warn you that when I wrote this song I was listening to The Cure a lot and Taeyang, so it sort of medley or remix,"

Yoona nodded understand.

“Here we go.” Yuri starts strummed once, adjusted the tension on two strings, then strummed again, soft and melancholy melody.

 

You don't know...

How much I need you.

While you're near me, I don't feel blue.

And when we kiss, I know you need me, too.

 

Yoona smiled and listening closely to every word in the lyrics.

 

I can't believe I found a love.

That's so pure and true.

 

Then Yuri starts strum the guitar harshly, rock feeling, as if reflecting her anger that already stacked up for a while.

 

But it all was bull!!

It was a goddamn joke!

 

Instead of surprised, Yoona was smiled knowingly.

 

And when I think of you, Gyuri.

I hope you in' choke!!

 

Then the strum back to light melody again, it sounds like a bipolar song. And all of sudden Yuri began rapping.

 

You left me paralyzed, no cure, no rehab for me

Funny that you got the nerve to keep asking me

How I’ve been

You’re the victor in this pageantry

But the only trophy you deserve, catastrophe

 

I’d rather we be dead to each other

No eulogies said for each other

No “rest in peace”s

The memories got my chest in pieces

 

I’m praying that your eyes are the first to go

The way they looked when you smiled

The way they opened and closed

And your nose, every single breath against my neck

And then your lips, every empty promise made and said

 

Please fade, fade to black…

Please fade, fade to black…

But the nightmares come back

 

Because your eyes, nose, lips.

Every look and every breath

Every kiss still got me dying

Uh, still got me crying

You wish me well

You wish me well

I wish you hell…

 

I never want to look into your eyes again

No, I never want to hear you breathe again

Let me go, let me go

Baby, tell me this it’s the end

 

Because your eyes, nose, lips

Every look and every breath

Your kiss still got me dying

Uh, still got me crying

Crying, crying

Fade out…

 

Yuri ended up her song and covered her face with her hands, feels embarrassed from her sudden rap jam.

But surprisingly Yoona was smiled so widely while saying “I liked it,”

 

*

*

 

“Thank you for the ice cream. It always cheers me up.”

“I’m glad you feel better.”

“I feel weird being in this place. Me and Gyuri, we came here all the time. We used to get chocolate shakes.”

“May I ask what happened with Gyuri?”

“She wasn't the right one, I guess.” Yuri shrugge

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter